PDA

View Full Version : KM Kit - any driver reports?

joffacn
19-02-2007, 02:04 PM
HI

I would really like to hear from Lazer drivers who have "upgraded" with the KM kit.

Is the kit worth the expense?
What changes? Any issues or negatives?

Thanks Jeff

myk505
20-02-2007, 05:59 AM
i would also like to know what the KMC kit is like from other people:eh?:

andys
20-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I have one brand new in the box, was going to fit / run it but changed cars.
It's for sale if anyone wants to PM me a sensible offer ?

Hog
23-02-2007, 11:26 AM
AndyS - is it still for sale? Any idea how much you want for the conversion kit?

jim76
23-02-2007, 01:46 PM
the initial reports i read seemed to like it, but i have heard of serious issues with the carbon a few months down the line. apparently it is a fairly weak carbon laid in 90deg layers, not the stronger multi-direction carbon.
i only know 2 people who bought the kit and both no longer run it.

i love the way my zx5 handles and see no need to change it, plus all my cells are in stick format for the 2wd also!

bretts
23-02-2007, 02:20 PM
when the first reports appeared I thought about getting one.

I suppose it will help with weight distribution as a pack of 4200's or 4300's is about 420g which is a lot more than servo/receiver/motor (& wires etc..) which is about 280g (variable).

Peter from teeside bought a converted one and put his in the 'A' final at the last teeside regional. His was rocket fast!!

However, i'm in the same boat as jim76 I like the way my zx5 handles bog std.

top and bottom of it. if you like the layout, buy a BJ4WE as Rich Lowe often correctly states

jim76
23-02-2007, 02:36 PM
top and bottom of it. if you like the layout, buy a BJ4WE as Rich Lowe often correctly states

good point! by the time you get the kit, spend money on screws and alloy bits etc, then the conversion, it will be about the same as a bj4 anyway.

omen1975
23-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Just like to say that the conversion kit is the best thing I ever done to my ZX-5, I feel very confident over jumps now. With the old chassis it was like 50/50 with landings, seem to be able to hit the jumps at any angle and lands great. I've been running a Novak GTB 4.5 setup for about 8 months with this chassis and had no problems.

Hope this helps.

Omen1975

Balders
26-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I've run mine a few times now and I do like the feeling of the car compared to the old chassis but I have found a problem with it.

The main front and rear drive CVD's, where they join the spur assembly the drive pins that form the dog bone on the end of the shafts had both worked their way out and on both the front and rear shafts only after about 6-8 runs. There is no grubscrew to hold the pins in so it appears they are in place purely by friction.

As a quick fix after some head scratching from the lads at club we pushed the pins back into place, put some super glue over them then covered the whole assembly in some wide heat shrink and that held out ok. Other than putting the head of the driveshaft in a vice and squeezing it home I can’t think of much else I can do?

I’ve added some pics to try and explain what we did… (I pinched the images from the KMC review, hope you don’t mind Jimmy…):)

bert digler
26-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I've run mine a few times now and I do like the feeling of the car compared to the old chassis but I have found a problem with it.

The main front and rear drive CVD's, where they join the spur assembly the drive pins that form the dog bone on the end of the shafts had both worked their way out and on both the front and rear shafts only after about 6-8 runs. There is no grubscrew to hold the pins in so it appears they are in place purely by friction.

As a quick fix after some head scratching from the lads at club we pushed the pins back into place, put some super glue over them then covered the whole assembly in some wide heat shrink and that held out ok. Other than putting the head of the driveshaft in a vice and squeezing it home I can’t think of much else I can do?

I’ve added some pics to try and explain what we did… (I pinched the images from the KMC review, hope you don’t mind Jimmy…):)

can u drill it tap it then grub screw it
:rolleyes:

omen1975
28-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Cant say i've had that problem, it may have been manufactured on a Monday or Friday perhaps :)

omen1975