PDA

View Full Version : wed all save lot of money if....

b4rs
19-02-2007, 09:36 PM
ok so the title got your attention, not everyone will agree but im sure most people will. Everytime the track is set up at batley, theres always a really long carpeted straight :) leading to a rock hard wallhttp://www.oople.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gifhttp://www.oople.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif, if you take that slippery polished floor corner jus a tad fast or get it wrong, your pretty much heading to a near certain front end brake, this doesnt have to be the case if someone could put something there jus to soften the impact, fair enough that you sohuld be more careful but its not exactly fair, can we see about some kinda padding along that wall? i dont mean to be moangy but it is true. I always come home with an empty wallet from buying broken parts form that wall. Ive heard from so other members that at york on nearly every potentially dangerous corner theres foam as barriers. cant this be the case at batley?

Anyway, thankyou for reading. ill set up a poll to try and influence the track oraganizer.

Alex

jimmy
19-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree - there is no real problem in theory with it, if you ended the straight a little sooner and had the slippy floor for longer it would slow people down and they wouldn't slide so wide. as it was I was braking at the last second (on the carpet) before making the turn and sometimes got it a little wrong and hit the wall - luckily no breaks.

Medders
19-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I totally agree. As I'm trying to learn how to drive again that wall is a total pain. My first time at Batley the other week it cost me £30 in repairs. On Sunday I just took it soooo gently I didn't risk damaging the car, but not being able to safely push the car it that area meant I was never going to improve my speed around that section. Even for the top driver if you get a shunt at the wrong time it costs ££££££££.

bert digler
19-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I totally agree. As I'm trying to learn how to drive again that wall is a total pain. My first time at Batley the other week it cost me £30 in repairs. On Sunday I just took it soooo gently I didn't risk damaging the car, but not being able to safely push the car it that area meant I was never going to improve my speed around that section. Even for the top driver if you get a shunt at the wrong time it costs ££££££££.

i love that corner its the nuts

Chrislong
20-02-2007, 02:45 PM
How about covering your buggy in sponge with the wheels sticking out at the bottom?? :D :D Im only joking.

Well there is no sponge at Batley to use, but if you/anyone can sauce it on behalf of the club and then when YOU help put the track out, YOU won't forget to put the sponge out. ;)

As for York, you are wrong as you make it sound like there are loads of potentially dangerous corners. The only place the sponge is used is immediatly after the entry onto the straight, and at the end of the straight. Personally I think it isn't needed on the entry to the straight as it snags the car and pulls it in, id rather glance off the wall and keep on going.

Chris

BenG
20-02-2007, 02:54 PM
As for York, you are wrong as you make it sound like there are loads of potentially dangerous corners. The only place the sponge is used is immediatly after the entry onto the straight, and at the end of the straight. Personally I think it isn't needed on the entry to the straight as it snags the car and pulls it in, id rather glance off the wall and keep on going.

Chris

Me too, getting snagged up is much worse on your time.

I have to say, on my first ever buggy race (and the only one so far) There was a layout like you mention where you have to go full speed at the wall, bearing in mind, I had a 5600kv (9t equivalent) brush less in, some strange tyres on, and I still managed to not touch the end wall you are talking about.

its all about control, and not wanting to go flat out into a slippery corner.

;)

Chrislong
20-02-2007, 02:57 PM
where you have to go full speed at the wall, bearing in mind, I had a 5600kv (9t equivalent) brush less in, some strange tyres on, and I still managed to not touch the end wall you are talking about.

But Ben, you are crazy, didn't have to go full speed. :D

xx4-nutter
20-02-2007, 03:11 PM
its always good to have sponge for the racers who are not as good as some of the top lads, if you are a fast enough driver and can pulll out fast times you must be able to be curtious on the throttle ?..

either way i think a small amount of foam is a good idea, the club i race at on a friday night ( SCL model car club ) uses small amounts of foam type stuff u would use on ur old bmx over the handle bar its just right takes the edge of the wall if you crash, but makes it easyier to get away from if you do crash..

Garry D.

b4rs
20-02-2007, 03:30 PM
i dont mean a big batch of FOAM, i was thinging more on the lines of a roll or carpet jus pushed sp against the wall. or a few bags of tyre inserts could do the trick:) only joking.

mark christopher
20-02-2007, 03:32 PM
personally i think you should learn to drive within the limits of the track and its markings.
if there was a big jump where it was 50% chance of busting your car if you hit it flat out, would you slow down a bit to save your car?

super__dan
20-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I discussed this with Steve whilst laying the track on Sat. Apparently they used to have some foam but most people preferred not to have it as if you just glanced it it drags you in to a place that's not easy to marshall. Apparently the white box section plastic we had there is the best compromise between absorbing impacts and not effecting people who just glance it on the way round.

I don't want to be hypocritical as have critisised other parts of others tracks at times. Neither do I want to be patronising but if you can't get round it, start off by going slow and then build up speed? It's not an inconsistant part of the track, you'll understeer going into the corner there every time.

I often take 2 goes at the corner i.e. turn in hard and early on the carpet to get the car moving, then add additional lock on when onto the polished floor.

Chrislong
20-02-2007, 04:32 PM
personally i think you should learn to drive within the limits of the track and its markings.
if there was a big jump where it was 50% chance of busting your car if you hit it flat out, would you slow down a bit to save your car?

What you are saying is dead right, at any level, if there is a jump we all take it within our own and the cars limits.

And what I was saying to Ben, although tongue in cheek, I was trying to get at the same thing. If the corner is slippy, at the end of the straight - back off sooner and drive within your own and your cars limits. I don't want you to break the car.

As for carpet, it can be worse! :D as when we glance the wall, we just pick up a little paint from the wall and we continue, but a roll of carpet is still hard but it snags the car in - then sudenly a wishbone gone.

Sponge is the fool proof way, but its a bit too "Nanny culture" if that makes sense.

i.e. I keep banging my teeth against the edge of the mug, but instead of getting a rubber mug, I just take my time drinking my brew. :wtf: :o although a rubber mug would help, id just drink my brew with more anger.

jimmy
20-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Never mind driving into the wall for a second - when I hit the wall its usually more to do with hitting the apex and getting 'sent to the wall' or a collision with another car at the end of the straight before or during the initial turn.

At york it does drag you in, at batley it wouldnt - if you are THAT far off line at batley then possibly you might be in for some hurt! hehe..
I have to say the plastic pipe was a half-decent compromise though, I hit it a few times and survived with nothing but a scraped wheel. Something like pipe insulation would possibly be good too.

Northy
20-02-2007, 05:50 PM
i.e. I keep banging my teeth against the edge of the mug, but instead of getting a rubber mug, I just take my time drinking my brew. :wtf: :o although a rubber mug would help, id just drink my brew with more anger.

Chris, I just read that out to Julie and she thinks you should seak medical (mentally) attention! :D :D :D :D

How about putting foam between the plastic pipe and the wall to soften the blow, but not drag you in? I might suggest that for York actually.

G

footey
20-02-2007, 06:04 PM
as garry said my little club i run use pipe lagging and it is a great way but also what northy says would help :)

Chrislong
20-02-2007, 06:40 PM
also what northy says would help :)

You mean the bit where I seek medical attention?

footey
20-02-2007, 06:53 PM
wasnt thinking of that chris but come to think of it hes spot on lol;)

mattym0310
20-02-2007, 08:52 PM
i voted yes, cos ive broken a nose piece on my X-6 on the famous Batley wall.
:wtf: :p

i agree with g, the plastic box fings with foam is a good idea,

probably better than just foam

:D

BenG
20-02-2007, 09:10 PM
But Ben, you are crazy, didn't have to go full speed. :D

haha, not crazy chris, its the toruing car way.

let me demonstrate one average touring car lap, to show my superbly skillful throttle jamming.

Lap starts.
Full throttle.
Couple of crashes.
Lap finishes, still at full thottle.

:D:D

ashleyb4
20-02-2007, 09:27 PM
That is the point on the wall you need to learn how to control your car into the corner. These is a section at oswestry where we race which is a solid piece on wood at the bottom of the straight there is a straight line thought i but you hav to be good to get through it. I can get through it in a straight line.:D But if you crash into it buy buy front wishbone/bulkhead/shock tower/ stub axel etc. If you dont want to crash slow down into it.

A:o

Medders
20-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Next meeting can someone please lie at the end of the straight while I go at it at full throttle a few times to get the hang of it :D . Any volenteers ?:cool:

b4rs
21-02-2007, 09:54 AM
How about putting foam between the plastic pipe and the wall to soften the blow, but not drag you in? I might suggest that for York actually.

G
that is exactly what i was thinking, you could just glance off the gutter but still be less impact for when you smash into it i.e when a osmeone twats into back of you. (which seems to happen to me often:eh?: )

Stu
21-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Please can someone let me know where I can buy a rubber mug.
I need one NOW.

emzy
21-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Please can someone let me know where I can buy a rubber mug.
I need one NOW.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-STRAWBERRY-SHORTCAKE-RUBBER-MUG-PINK_W0QQitemZ330090877796QQihZ014QQcategoryZ242QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think it'd suit you. :)

Col
21-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I know all the theory about this: either brake or start you turn in on the carpet (using the outside line or furthest away form the rostrum) This means that you are either going a bit slower or have already made the most impottant part of the turn (when the most "G" force occurs as the carchanges initial direction) while traction is good. Then it's just a case of easing the car round the corner with both throttle and steering.
But that's in theory! While most of the time I can put this off, if I'm in a battle for a place or get a bit over-excited then every bit of basic driving knolege goes out of the window and then I'm quite capable of driving like a t*$t and hitting every wall aroung the track:)

b4rs
21-02-2007, 10:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-STRAWBERRY-SHORTCAKE-RUBBER-MUG-PINK_W0QQitemZ330090877796QQihZ014QQcategoryZ242QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think it'd suit you. :)

lmfao

super__dan
26-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Without wanting to knock anyone, york's track from sat night epitimises why having too much foam around can be a bad thing. It kept moving about and being dragged onto the racing line and seemingly marshals not that bothered about putting it back.

It did my head in anyway! as anyone in my 3rd qualifyer will have hear when I went round the inside of vermin on the slippy corner on the right hand side, only to be taken out by some bloody foam :( That slippy corner was ace though!

Chrislong
26-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeh, and the black foam randomly appeared infront of Tom Cockerill on the straight. It must have come from somewhere but nobody put it back.

Northy
26-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll mention it at the commitee meeting tonight guys :mad:

G

Col
26-02-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm with Dan - that track was awesome with the straight through the centre, but the foam was a burden (and not really needed at all) I believe the point of it was for the 540 class as the driving there can be a touch erratic at times, ie it prevented head on collisions. We should really hae moved it for our races, I think

AndyM
27-02-2007, 05:50 PM
the foam on saturday night at the end of the straight really did get in the way in the races, but it saved my cars life. :p

in practice my X-6 got interference and shot off at full speed in2 the wall. luckily the foam was there to flip my car over, so only the back hinge pin brace broke. if it hadnt been there, i wud of hit the wall head on at about 30 mph. probably wud of snapped my chassis or nose piece :wtf:

im still with yoo dan and col, it does get in the way.:)

AndyM
27-02-2007, 05:52 PM
just realised yoo meant the foam on the chicane, just before the sweeping corner :o

yes, that is a pain, my car got caught on it a couple if times,

i agree with col that it shud be taken out for the faster lads

Northy
27-02-2007, 06:27 PM
No, it should be made so that it doesn't move. :mad:

G

b4rs
28-02-2007, 08:34 AM
someone buy a couple of sticks of prit stciks!!! and get gluing;)

jimarea51
28-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Yo! Northy

Clear out your message box so i can send you some more jibberish:wtf:

Later

Jimare51