PDA

View Full Version : It's a matter of size!

philly
20-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi guys.
I have a LRp Ai Pro Reverse speedo and the diode across the motor wires has failed due to some numpty (me) connecting a new battery the wrong way round!

Does anybody know what size of diode is required to repqair this model. Unfortunately, being in two halves I can't read the size from the componant.

I'm presuming this diode does the same job as a Schottky diode would on the motor itself. Am I right in this assumption?:confused:

Thanks for any help!;)

mark christopher
20-02-2007, 11:57 AM
a reverse speedo should not have a diode on the motor wire!

philly
20-02-2007, 12:03 PM
There's def. a diode across two wires in there!
I'll double check which wires they are and repost.

Chrislong
20-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Mark is spot on, a Schkotty diode is polarised and therefore can only be used on forward only ESC's. If you put it onto a reversable ESC, it'll go bang the first time you hit reverse.

If unsure, consult the manual and follow that 100%.

Chris

jimmy
20-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Is this a capacitor ?

ryan
20-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Mark is spot on, a Schkotty diode is polarised and therefore can only be used on forward only ESC's. If you put it onto a reversable ESC, it'll go bang the first time you hit reverse.

If unsure, consult the manual and follow that 100%.

Chris

Funny when they blow up though:D

max_crox
20-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I kinda want to know the same thing.
The basic motor that I purchased has no capacitors or Schottky Diodes. what Size/rating do I need? Can they just be purchased from Maplin? if not where?

Cheers
Mark

philly
22-02-2007, 11:20 AM
This is a photo of the burnt diode - or whatever componant- in the LRP Ai Pro reverse.
It doesn't go across the motor wires as I previously thought but goes across the pos and neg inputs. Presumably to prevent damage from reversed polarity! How ironic.:wtf:
Any help appreciated.

BenG
22-02-2007, 11:21 AM
send it back to helgar mate;)

b4rs
23-02-2007, 07:47 AM
ooooooh, lol how did tht happen? thts same esc as mine, lol hope mine dont turn out like that. i was lucky, i bought a capacitor off ebay and it worked fine until i lost the reverse side of my car. my esc could of blown up any time then.

philly
23-02-2007, 12:11 PM
The esc still works, in a fasion. The only issue I find is that i've lost dead stop between brake and reverse. So it seems that when brake is applied it just spins the wheels backwards.:confused: The more I stress on it, the more I think I'll sent it to Helgar and get a difinitive answer.:eh?:

Cooper
23-02-2007, 04:28 PM
email them and ask the values for the diode (if you're capable of replacing it yourself)