PDA

View Full Version : Painting Help

clarey
02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm wanting to paint my own shell, and I really like the idea of fading the 2 colours I have together.

Any pointers for how it can be done easily? I don't have an airbrush or anything like that, so I'm just using the paint out of cans.

Thanks for any help

jonmiller
02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
ive never used cans. but to do a fade with cans i would suggest using a translucent/candy or flourescent color as one of the colors. or both infact, then back with a color of your choice. they are easier to do fades with than opaques. sit the cans in warm water for a few minutes to help with atomization. apart from that....wait to hear from the can users out there to provide more help.
good luck.

clarey
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I already have my colours :eh?: metallic purple and a red with silver glitter, i did it on a spare piece I had and it looks ok, but not sure about doing on a shell without advice first

telboy
02-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Best thing to do is get an empty coke bottle (1L version) and cut it in half along its length (cut the top bit off first its easier to do).
Then try spraying the paints onto the inside of the bottle, (clean it first :) ).

This way you will be able to find out if it looks better with the purple going down first or the red going down first.

Better than ruining a shell. :)
As jon said, when it comes to doing the job propper, warm the cans up first. It will produce a finer spray. :)

Remember to back them up with white when you're done, it will look brighter.

clarey
02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Good Idea I never thought of that. Thanks :thumbsup:

Jez
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
trim shell then use oblong piece of lexan from side waste,should be a good strip from a proline shell.ta jez.