PDA

View Full Version : Whats best for removing paint?

stebedford
22-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Can anyone suggest whats good for removing 10+year old paint from one of my cars? I want to respray the shell, ive been using nail varnish remover but its taking a while to do.

Chrislong
22-06-2009, 02:20 PM
What car is it? Is it not cheaper to buy new shell than buy some funky chemical that'll strip paint without melting the shell..

stebedford
22-06-2009, 02:33 PM
not sure what make it is but its is really old, the guys at my local model shop said ive got no chance of getting a shell to fit it unless i make a mould for it and make my own

Chrislong
22-06-2009, 02:40 PM
You've also got no chance of getting a shell for it if you don't know what it is.

Personally, id think twice about removing the paint - getting it wrong could mean you have no shell. And I don't want to be responsible for recommending something which melts the shell. Sorry.

Put some pictures up on the forum, somebody here is bound to know what it is. ;)

terry.sc
22-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Put up a picture and we can tell you what it is, then we can tell you if there are repro bodies available.

For lexan the only recommended stuff for removing paint is nitro fuel, a lot of substances, including nail varnish remover, can attack the lexan and you will end up with a pile of small pieces of lexan if you aren't careful.

mark christopher
22-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Put up a picture and we can tell you what it is, then we can tell you if there are repro bodies available.

For lexan the only recommended stuff for removing paint is nitro fuel, a lot of substances, including nail varnish remover, can attack the lexan and you will end up with a pile of small pieces of lexan if you aren't careful.
duno what fuel you use but all i have tried dont remove paint!!

jonmiller
22-06-2009, 09:29 PM
ive used some cheap brake fluid i bought from morrisons to good effect before.
i wouldve thought the acetone in the nail varnish remover wouldve fogged the lexan.

craigosh
22-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Found brake fluid fogs lexan at best or it breaks up into layers at worst!!

If its ABS (solid white plastic) your fine with brake fluid, but acetone will eat it.

Post some pics..

stebedford
23-06-2009, 12:38 PM
ill put some pics up tonight, the nail varnish remover has fogged it a little, ive only managed to get part of it off. is it worth painting the outside of the shell rather than trying to get the paint off the inside?

Southwell
23-06-2009, 12:42 PM
It would come off either in big chunks or just scratch off badly with a few crashes. Put some pics up, im sure we can help.

stebedford
23-06-2009, 07:56 PM
There you go, a few pics of the buggy. What if I paint the outside white, then the colour i want to make it then a coat or 2 of clear paint?

Southwell
24-06-2009, 07:24 AM
No idea what that is, looks like a good candidate for a monster truck body though. :woot:

MALLET
24-06-2009, 09:24 AM
layer the inside with kitchen roll and pour Dot3 brake fluid on it and leave it to soak for a while and then rub it off. You'll need to do it a few times as it does take a while to do. Keep testing with longer soak times.

dave g
24-06-2009, 09:34 AM
some 25% nitro fuel should bring the paint off nicely,its what ive used before.

Dazzler
24-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Looks like there's some text moulded into the front bumper. That might give us a clue as to what it is or who makes it. Can you have a look and post what it says?

Chrislong
24-06-2009, 11:46 AM
It looks to be very old, part of me think it looks very Kyosho-ish - but then I know it isn't as I feel I would know what it is if it was Kyosho - and they never did a shaft drive.

Have a look at the Associated SC10, and Traxxas Slash bodyshells, they are true scaled down truck shells - and should be fittable with body posts - and will look rather cool on your chassis.

Unfortunately I can't recognise that shell you already have.

stebedford
24-06-2009, 11:49 AM
The bumper says Prafa, who are an old german company who havent been in business for about 10-15 years :(

Not sure if the bumper was originally part of the car but it if is then thats not very helpful lol

I was thinking about making a mould of the car (any ideas how?? ie clay, wood, plaster?) and then getting some plastic to do a vacuum form of it.

Ive also been told that the chassis is capable of fitting a nitro engine but not sure how that will work lol

stebedford
28-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Anyone got an idea on how/if I can make or get someone to make a shell for this?

02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
try sending it to kamtec (phone them first) they normally will make repro's if there is likely to be a demand?

they must be quite busy though - they still have my yz10 body to make a mould from and i sent it quite a few months back!