PDA

View Full Version : Nationals commentating

Body Paint
22-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the commentating on the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the double acts of TT, Rob Rasey, Tony Evdoka and of course DC. I stood and watched a whole load of finals that I didn't even know any one in, you guys really raised your game on the weekend and the atmosphere round the track really benifitted from it. I for one hope that you guys carry on, big thumbs up:)

Body Paint
22-06-2009, 07:20 PM
What did other people think? I did here a few people saying it was putting them off while racing, I loved it!

rob8246
22-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Cheers for that Craig, had not turned up with commentary in mind but when Truman asked for assistance we had a go and really enjoyed it.:D

brookie
22-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I shall watch this thread with interest:eh?:

MikePimlott
22-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Its excellent to have the commentating and the team are doing a great job. I think it helps spectators enjoy the sport and watch the fast cars. it helps drivers know where abouts they are and if theyre improving and it also helps the referees out who cant always watch the race and the laptop they get. Plus the added bonus of a bit of comedy :thumbsup:

neiloliver
22-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I think anyone who can speak clearly and who is willing to spend their time and do the job for free deserves thanks. I think that running commentary during a race is worthwhile and useful... It woudl be great if we were made to submit more details about ourselves when booking in at the start of the season so comentators had to the lo-down and specs on each of us..

What I did find a bit annoying was the non race related random talking.. that stuff should either be left out or done between heats.

Overall though - good job and the mix of talents made for variety over the weekend.

spenner
22-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Gotta say that i really enjoyed the commentary... It made the meeting feel like a UK National!!
Was informative for spectators and even had some humour in there!!

Reminded me of watching formula 1 with Brundle and good old Murray Walker....

I did hear some moaning but that wasn't about the commentary that was on Racing...
Some drivers were annoyed about hearing weather reports, Legends race and who is in it while they where trying to concentrate on there run... I think the time for that is between heats not during, yes let them know but lets think about the 10 guys trying to put the 'smack down' as Truman would say.

I would hope the commentary stays and Truman has earned the position along side DC and others...

Truman - The Pred is flat but come on a 'Skateboard' ????

Quality job to everyone at EPR... One of the best Meetings i have EVER attended.

TheRacePlace
22-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Truman rocks!!!

Chrislong
22-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Its very good, I like it.

On Saturday a lady came over with her daughter who'd heard it from her house, saw what was going on and came to me and asked "Is this open to the public to watch? Its just my son would really love to see this" so I told her "Ofcause, just make sure to stay behind the fence as it will protect you but your welcome to watch, and come back tomorrow" she seemed quite impressed.

But thats the thing, as normally they just see RC cars and hear the beeps and some dulcet tones over the PA. But the current commentary is top class and easy for somebody who doesn't know us, doesn't know the working, never seen it before - to simply arrive, watch and understand it enough to enjoy it...

*thumbs up*

jcb
22-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I think the commentary helps to make the meeting, it indirectly introduces all the racers to each other as the names are read out. It also helps spectators to follow the racing and lets people from outside of the hobby know what is going on. I reckon if it puts you off your racing you aren't concentrating hard enough on it, well thats what I got told when I started doing nationals.

All good in my view and long may it continue.

MattADH
22-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Maybe next year the club will remember to inform the local residents that there is a 2 day meeting at the track to avoid any issues.

Yes I am afraid there was an oversight and lack of communication on our part with regard to the neighbours. Since getting the venue up and running, we havent had any noise complaints with our own PA system from the neighbours who literally back on to the venue.

It was our mistake and a shame that it put a dampner on the event for a few of us associated with the club who will have to deal with the backlash. Issues like this can cause long term problems as we all know. We will endeavour to smooth things out with the local residents in the next couple of weeks should we put in/get considered for a National round in 2010.

I did like the doubling up on commentary but we just to have different settings for each of the commentators and their excitement levels!

Gnarly Old Dog
22-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Each of the commentators have their own unique style and each one did a fantastic job.
Tony and Rob should (IMO) go into stand up - I was almost in tears listening to them whilst I was in the pits.
MCDC - the perfect blend of race pace, current standings and assistance for the referees to help call the cars through
Tony E - phew - I can't keep up with you fella. Can you talk at all after a national or do your vocal chords need surgery after the weekend. :woot:

Atmosphere is everything and you guys all rock.
Cheers for everything

Body Paint
22-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I was chatting to some old chap who lived locally, he was sat on the picnic tables. He said he had been there 30 minutes and he new which cars was winning, how long the races were, how many laps cars were getting and how fast they were lapping. He was amazed how acuratly the timing equipment was and wanted to know how the laps were counted. After I'd explained how it worked he said he was off to get his grand kids to bring them to watch aswell. Great publicity IMHO

neiloliver
22-06-2009, 08:12 PM
How can they complain about the noise when they live next to a railway and sit under one of the busiest flight paths in the world?? :eh?:

seriously, keeping the neighbours and co-facility users happy can be a nightmare.. we have similar issues with 'dog people' and 'chicken people' at oz... :bored:

N

Gnarly Old Dog
22-06-2009, 08:16 PM
How can they complain about the noise when they live next to a railway and sit under one of the busiest flight paths in the world?? :eh?:
N

So there we have it. Irrefutable fact that Tony E is actually louder than a 747 and an intercity 125 (of which I was surprised to learn still run at 1am on a Sunday morning):cry:

Body Paint
22-06-2009, 08:19 PM
So there we have it. Irrefutable fact that Tony E is actually louder than a 747 and an intercity 125 (of which I was surprised to learn still run at 1am on a Sunday morning):cry:

My 3 month old will confirm that trains definately do run past EPR at 1am on a Sunday morning, so will my wife who had to try and get him back to sleep :eh?:

Chrislong
22-06-2009, 08:25 PM
It doesn't put me off. In my final I was driving to catch the lead 2 who'd made a gap, I was 3rd from 10th, and DC was reading out the gap to me every few laps which I find VERY encouraging and focusing, didn't do it but I knew I was reducing the gap, and I don't think id have driven to reduce the gap without that from DC....

neiloliver
22-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Being told that Alan was catching me up through the bum hole made me go quicker.... :bored:

GRIFF55
22-06-2009, 08:50 PM
painful mate!:lol:

totally agree with gnarly. Good work guys, keep it up, deffo adds to the national atmosphere:thumbsup:

David Church
22-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Many thanks for all the kind comments!!!! I really appreciate it:thumbsup:

Teddy truman
22-06-2009, 09:39 PM
i really enjoy doing the commentry! all your points taken on bored :D if you have any advice so i can improve, that would be great!:D sorry if i shout abit haha i get a little excited when the racing is good!:p

get her done!

TBear out...

PTRU
22-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I think it was very good anything that makes the sport more professional is a plus to me.

with good commentating you have a chance of bringing more people into the sport as it sounds interesting to the general public.

If the people concerned are allowed to do this again at Southport it could be good for the club.

May be even interviews with the drivers, not just the A finals but the lower finals two.
Bit more tech talk explaining the difference between the cars ect,
keep up the good work Lads good PR for one and all.

Volume control needs to be checked, as one of the Mic's at EPR was louder than the other one.

Well done all the EPR people nice to see people enjoying the day and helping out. Good sound club, best of luck for the future.

Chrislong
22-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Interviews don't work unless the victim is very willing and very able to talk as well as you guys do - otherwise its just mumbles and uninteresting, a total contrast between interviewee and interviewor.

Tbear, DC and the MC crew etc etc, just keep on doing what your doing! ;)

bigred5765
22-06-2009, 10:03 PM
the track the venue and the commentators were ace,good job guys loved it,

rob8246
22-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah guys, top notch and thanks alot!! :D

Edvoka, louder than a 747 LOL!!! Spot on.

Jonesy
22-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I was hanging around race control for a bit yesterday and couldn't believe it when I heard there were complaints.

I echo the sentiments of everyone on here when I say that the 5 commentators (ok I include Charlie in this for the 2 heats he did!) all did a fantastic job and I find a little bit of laughter during the race helps me to focus sometimes!

I would also ask that the commentry is kept to the particular race unless there is a need to call someone over to race control or the odd 'piss-take' out of a marshall/driver (I get for the paint-job ALL the time) but not for the whole 5 mins!

Commentry moments of the weekend for me:

TT "Whyman (marshalling) is charging into the 'Bumhole'"
RR "i've heard that guy is a giver as well as a taker"

and

TT "Waggy is in the bumhole" (short pause) "Ouch"

Genius mate :thumbsup:

RudeTony
23-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Good morning all
I am sure that TT, DC, RR and myself really do this to ADD an atmosphere to the meetings and yes to have a laugh for everyone as well.....some points have been made on volumes, irrelevant comments through a race etc but it has to also be understood that we are sometimes TOLD to ask for people and make announcements and so on......I myself don't like it done over a race either and I agree it should be between races......I will amend this when I get on the mic as I am sure that TT, DC RR (if he is there) will do as well but also need to point out that the BRCA tells us not to speak so much between races as timekeeping control that runs the meeting has to speak to the drivers for time starts etc. It can become difficult to get the blend right and we can only try harder to achieve this…… I also apologise to anyone that I may of put off in any way.....certainly not my intention, I think that everyone knows that…..
I probably won't be commentating at Southport, I can't make the Stotfold National and I think a special commentator may be at Blyth so once the BRCA official decide which direction they want to go then maybe the future will be bright to keep the great atmospheres going for the Nationals.
Finally for those that asked me, emailed me etc, why I didn't commentate the last leg of the main ‘A’ final 4wd - I have no answer yet, I was asked not to......maybe I am louder than the 747 and that's why!!! - Who Knows?
I also think the more comments posted here the better as this gives any commentator a chance to hear for themselves what people like or don’t like……not to mention the BRCA officials read these posts as well……constructive criticism or praise is all good for making it even better…..laters all

spud31
23-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Gents i must apoligise for 5K42 0042 Hayes to Grove Park depot keeping you all up lol
Next time i will ask the drivers to creep by the track pmsl

Rich B

Lee Martin
23-06-2009, 09:08 AM
well i thought the commentry made the weekend as enjoyable as it was!!
Was amazing!!

Tony, you have definately found a new calling and i think you should start your own racing series! TTRL!!!!

Rob! awesome, i was expressing the fact that this could be awesome in the bar the night before, as soon as rob got to the track we set this up and these two personalities made it genuis! Im impressed they dont swear, let alone make the comedy banter they do! After the complaint was made and the Mic died down, instantly i realised and the event felt like it lost something......

I heard about the 'School teacher' like options the two commentators were given and i felt this was a little off! coming from a EPR member treating them like children when they are there making the event 100 times more enjoyable for the club! if they were not there, would the amount of people on here be saying this? and saying how fantastic it was...?

Tony and MC DC did their normal top job, well done guys! but i have a new favourite! long live Tony T the Mic MC!! Just wish you werent as good at racing and could commentate my races!

Gaz_Stanton
23-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Great job from the whole commentary team! Really added the atmosphere to top off a really well run meeting on a top track.
Really enjoyed just leaning on the fence, beer in hand, watching some good racing and soaking up the atmosphere in the sun.

millzy
23-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Shame I wasn’t at EPR - it sounds like I missed something very special.

At tally we had the mix of MCDC and Tony Making his return to no the mic comments- and it was very much appreciated- if TT and Rob had wanted to do there double act at tally id have been more than happy.

I think you do need something to up the atmosphere on the mic and I know we need to hear the timings but at the same time but the mono tone of - race order in 1 2 6 9 dose get a bit dull.

it is meant to be fun and if it invited and excite people to come racing that ill all for it

And if any one wanted to interview me over the mic- racing or none racing related id gladly do it

Body Paint
23-06-2009, 12:16 PM
After the complaint was made and the Mic died down, instantly i realised and the event felt like it lost something......

Agreed

MattADH
23-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Agreed

But please just think of the venue as a whole! Yes the commentary was great but we do have neighbours to look after and without appeasing them, EPR as a whole could be in jeopardy....

As stated before, we will make some changes to the PA system for next year but please lets draw a line under the necessary volume changes that we were forced to make and keep the focus on the top job the commentating team did!

EPR

spenner
23-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Have to say Matt is right.....

No matter how much we liked the commentary team doing the stuff.... If someone complains then they need to keep the piece!!!

What good would the commentary be if there was no track ????

Looking forward to the rest of the Nationals... UK Racing has just raised another bar..

Lee Martin
23-06-2009, 12:53 PM
no ones taking anything away from the Track or EPR, but this thread was about commentry! and stating it felt something was missing when it died down is only meant as a compliment to them!

njc11
23-06-2009, 01:10 PM
After the complaint was made and the Mic died down, instantly i realised and the event felt like it lost something......

Also agree with that..

I wondered where all the commentry team had gone!! it added abit of extra excitement and humour to the whole day...

Enjoyed the EPR weekend thoroughly! Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

Belsten
23-06-2009, 01:11 PM
commentary was ace :thumbsup:

spenner
23-06-2009, 01:18 PM
no ones taking anything away from the Track or EPR, but this thread was about commentry! and stating it felt something was missing when it died down is only meant as a compliment to them!

I wasn't aiming at anyone, but as you know Lee people on here can start a whole new thread by picking out points....

Commentary as has been said best i have heard since i first started racing, and have to say was on par with Scotty!!!

But before anyone picks at EPR for having to turn TT,DC,RR and TE down a few clicks..... the fact needs to be pointed out there hands were tied for the future of the club!!

Why don't we start a poll on the commentary ?????

It's funny i heard negatives regarding some commentary at the weekend, but i look on here and there is hardly any ????
As the commentary guys have said ' tell us what you liked, didn't like, want to hear etc etc '

rob8246
23-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Excellent comments guys and loads of positive feedback. The club did a great job last weekend and there is always middle ground with these things. PA sytems are a pain as the noise does travel a long way and as a commentator you have not much of an idea of how loud it is.

Loved the experience of a tenth Nat and hope to attend more this year, maybe not as a driver but maybe just a blunderer on the mic LOL

Let's keep supporting all the guys who give up thier time to support and better the class.

RR.

Body Paint
23-06-2009, 06:54 PM
But please just think of the venue as a whole! Yes the commentary was great but we do have neighbours to look after and without appeasing them, EPR as a whole could be in jeopardy....

As stated before, we will make some changes to the PA system for next year but please lets draw a line under the necessary volume changes that we were forced to make and keep the focus on the top job the commentating team did!

EPR

I am in no way meaning to point any bad vibes towards EPR, you guys did a great job yet again and I fully understand that you had to do something to please the killjoys, (have exactly the same trooubles week in week out at our clubs venue). PLEASE please don't think I was pi**ing on your fire, the point of this thread was to praise how much atmosphere you and the whole team had created. The fact that people noticed that the commentating had be turned down a notch shows how much effort had been put in. I think that what you guys at EPR started could very well become the benchmark for future commentating and alreaady it seems that lessons have been learned. I sincerely hope that you can smooth the locals out and I am sure that you'll have a plan for any future meetings.

After hearing all the positive feedback from people I for one hope that the lively commetary continues.

Chrislong
23-06-2009, 07:33 PM
They can turn it up for Blyth, the nearest neighbour is James Helliwell and somehow I think he won't be complaining.:lol: