PDA

View Full Version : Cat 3000 Mods

KennyClark
02-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Thought I would attempt fitting the B4 rear end on a Cat 3000 seeing as every new car uses the same bits!

I think it turned out really well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/KennyClark/cat2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/KennyClark/cat1.jpg

Richard Lowe
02-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Looks tidy :)

Any more info on what you did?

mole2k
02-03-2007, 11:21 PM
That looks good, my club raced a lot of cat 3000's untill about a year ago. How did the car go with the modified rear end?

KennyClark
03-03-2007, 04:21 PM
To make the conversion I used

B4 rear wishbones (drilled out to accept the cat hinge pins)
B4 rear hubs (1.5 deg)
B4 outer hinge pins
the axle part of the cvd from the B4 fitted to the cat CVD

Obviously the shocks are now mounted on the inside of the wishbone instead of behind and the car uses B4 or losi rear wheels.
I ditched the crap schumacher shocks and have fitted B4 shocks all round instead.

I havent had a chance to run the car yet as it was a restoration project but it should be good.
Seeing as Schumacher arent making a new car soon I thought I would try and bring the 3000 up to date with the newer cars by giving it a similar rear end to the Yok Bx, BJ4, Tamiya 501 etc.

MattW
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Kenny, I fitted the B4 rear end to the cat at the Euros in France in 2005 (don't think Jimmy ever did manage to get a pic despite trying ;) ) I still have the drilled wishbones laying about somewhere!!!

I did it slightly different - in that i drilled the wishbones to mount the shocks behind - as std. Can't remember if i spaced the shock tower back - possibly - either 2 or 2.5mm.

What you will find is that the back of the car will be soooo much more stable - and absolutely planted to the track. To the point of understeer. I had to switch back to std as i was 0.4 per lap slower and couldn't get enough steering.

I also ran AE shocks when running long/stood up. For some reason the car didnt' work on AE shocks when running the shorter shocks layed down, but stoof up it was much better. I also drilled a new hole inside the current inner on the front wishbones - to stand the front shocks up more. This was good, but you have to play around with top mounting points and shock lengths to get it right.

Nick Goodall
05-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I was going to say i had more issues with Steering then anything on the Cat 3k, at the 2000 Euro's (Sweden) I could get it round pretty well in qualifying, ending up 8th but by the finals it was just too hard to gain any places due to under-steer, you just couldn't turn inside people, you'd have to carry all the speed by running wide in and wide out, more like a touring car line - quite frustrating but that was the best i'd ever got the car to go to be honest, and that was with Schumacher shocks.

Looks better though, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on!

KennyClark
09-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Well I gave the car a run (not competitively) and it handled really well.

Looks promising!

I will be running the car at a meeting at the end of the month and Im looking forward to it.

Will post my results after the meeting.

DCM
09-04-2007, 06:06 PM
I may well try this myself!!!