PDA

View Full Version : More Track Time

Markoxx4
07-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi guys,

Would any of you be interested in a permanent indoor track that you could use any time.
to get more track time, have some where to test your setups and to use socially to meet other racers more often.
alos what type of surface would you most like to race on. do you like carpet and slippy stuff or dirt?
let me know what you think.
Mark

jimmy
07-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Indoor dirt track - cool! :)

barnyard
07-03-2007, 09:57 PM
i second that jimmy proper indoor dirt track

Oscar
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
An indoor dirt arena would be good, as long as it was big enough:)

Medders
07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi guys,

Would any of you be interested in a permanent indoor track that you could use any time.
to get more track time, have some where to test your setups and to use socially to meet other racers more often.
alos what type of surface would you most like to race on. do you like carpet and slippy stuff or dirt?
let me know what you think.
Mark

You planning to covert your living room Mark?

Markoxx4
07-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I would need one big living room for that!!!;)

Lee
07-03-2007, 10:51 PM
It would have to be dirt!!! How cool would that be:o

Richard Lowe
07-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Indoor dirt definitely!

http://www.competitionhobbies.net/

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Chrislong
08-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Indoor dirt track. Have a look at pictures from the CRCRC, like that!

One thing the yanks also have, is wireless internet for all at trackside... go on Mark, Spoil us!! ;)

dave p hall
08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
dirt would be brill;) were abouts will the location be:confused:

BenG
08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
wicked, you are in wyke, thats close to my house...

Yeah, indoor dirt track please, bring the outside in:D:D

Markoxx4
08-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Glad im getting a good response. what else would you expect from an indoor arena? would you use it all year round or would you still like an ourdoor track?

jimmy
08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
It depends on size I guess - but as we all know, the problem with the outdoor track is vandalism and weather. It's hard to make a cool track and add stuff when you know it's gonna be ruined.

Do you have a big warehouse marko? lol
When I win the lottery I will make an indoor dirt track and live in there.

Spencer Mulcahy
08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I have never been able to understand why the americans have all these fantastic indoor facilitys when there weather is fantastic, then we have mainly outdoor tracks and the weather is crap. Indoor dirt track would be ace and tyre wear would not be as much of an issue.:D

Markoxx4
08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
It depends on size I guess - but as we all know, the problem with the outdoor track is vandalism and weather. It's hard to make a cool track and add stuff when you know it's gonna be ruined.

Do you have a big warehouse marko? lol
When I win the lottery I will make an indoor dirt track and live in there.
I dont have a warehouse at the minute, but i am putting something together that if it comes off will be good for all.
Watch this space!
please do suggest ideas though of what you would like.

loose
08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Marko, some of the experienced guys on here can bring the brains, but me and a few mates live just up the road from you, so if you need any brawn if anything comes of your plan just let us know.

You willing to divulge your plan yet, or you gonna see if it looks like a goer first? ;)

jimmy
08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
There are a lot of things to consider and come together for an indoor venue to work. many (all) of the american indoor tracks are shop-owned and / or run as a business. That's how they can afford it (and cheap land).

but hey, it would be very cool

Markoxx4
08-03-2007, 12:29 PM
You hit the nail on the head there Jimmy!!

Markoxx4
08-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Marko, some of the experienced guys on here can bring the brains, but me and a few mates live just up the road from you, so if you need any brawn if anything comes of your plan just let us know.

You willing to divulge your plan yet, or you gonna see if it looks like a goer first? ;)
Thanks, the plan is set, just working on a few things and then all may be revealed. as for the help we will need it!!! it seems dirt track is the way to go so that means shifting quite a few tonnes of dirt!!!!

Northy
08-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I could help with track design and layout, people seem to like the tracks I design ;)

G

Markoxx4
08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
I could help with track design and layout, people seem to like the tracks I design ;)

G
Cheers Northy, will need lots of input from pro's about what makes a good track.

Chrislong
08-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I know of how Jubilee Arena was run, so have a few ideas...

Lots of money to be made in the simple things, cans of pop, soup, tea, coffee, snacks... So make the venue inviting for spectators, not having it so they have to climb the track and navigate the pits before getting to comfortable seating... more spectators, more sold at tuck shop.

They had a shop, but didn't pay bills on time and therefore the stock turned to rubbish, and so people lost patience and continued mail ordering. The biggest thing here is wheels and tyres. Then the obvious spares. This can be as big or small as you want, but only make promises to customers that can be met..

Once open, don't generate rumours of any sort as they can be damaging. Only share details of things once it is a definate.... this thread is a good one though, testing thy market??

Secure car parking outside.

Race series / annual large events / invitationals

But as long as your venue has a great track, I'll be a regular. ;)

footey
08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
ive been trying for a while to sort somthing like this in hull but i cant get the funds together to start up so good luck and id be a regular :)

Markoxx4
08-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Cheers chris,

all thoes ideas are good ones thanks, have sort of antisipated all of thoes. have got some good things in the pipeline and want thoes to be what sustaines the venue therfore not having to relly on club fees and letting the clubs down if it has to close.

dave p hall
08-03-2007, 06:14 PM
all year round would be great,as mentioned before,no worrying about weather forecast;) how about cross overs,banked corners:rolleyes:

AndyM
08-03-2007, 06:18 PM
i like the idea of banked corners.

plenty of jumps aswell, doubles etc.

its a great idea...:D

daz
08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
i had a nice big indoor track outside my work near Malton. Had it all sorted out, would off been all dirt. Would of been no good for big meets as there wasnt enough parking spaces. Still got to work on monday and the warehouse was being demolished, that was my plan out of the window. Hope it goes well for you and your venue its just what the north east needs....

Northy
08-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Near Malton? Near me? :)

G

daz
08-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah dude not far from you, just before whitwell hill. Shame it didnt come off tho..

Northy
08-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Arse! :mad:

Col
10-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Gonna try to throw a spanner in the works now...
Why does everyone want a dirt track? I hear people moan about tiverton indoors all the time due to lack of grip, etc and often people don't race the nationls there (although that could be down to distance)
Seems to me that an astro track (with some dirt/clay surface changes) is the way to go here. Would probably cost more to set up, but would attract more drivers more regularly as you could continue to use schu minispikes that are already on the car for the outdoor season - I know that having to buy track specific tyres would limit the number of times I could attend.
That said, good luck Marco - I think most of the n/e lads will do what we can to support a new, good quality venue

Markoxx4
10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Cheers Col. just testing the water of what people want at the moment. is Tiverton a permanent indoor track?

jimmy
10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Tiverton isn't a dirt track (it's actually horse poo) nor does it have a single proper jump - its like racing on a mucky school floor.

An indoor astro track (already exists) would be cool, but people would rather be outdoors racing at bury or somewhere.

BenG
10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Here's my toupence on things. I will be buying ang importing a mostly unknown buggy soon, and will be looking for any track time I can get.

Havevthe track available all the time to members, who pay a track uasage fee each season.

Hold regular club nights on saturday's, I'll be there.

Work wise, I am sure you'll have plenty of free volonteers.

If you do set-it-up, please PM, re: track sponsorship.

I looked into buying a track, land wise, it was reasonablly priced, for a huge piece of track, may look into it again....

Cheers,

Ben

Oscar
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Gonna try to throw a spanner in the works now...
Why does everyone want a dirt track? I hear people moan about tiverton indoors all the time due to lack of grip, etc and often people don't race the nationls there (although that could be down to distance)
Seems to me that an astro track (with some dirt/clay surface changes) is the way to go here. Would probably cost more to set up, but would attract more drivers more regularly as you could continue to use schu minispikes that are already on the car for the outdoor season - I know that having to buy track specific tyres would limit the number of times I could attend.
That said, good luck Marco - I think most of the n/e lads will do what we can to support a new, good quality venue
A permanent dirt track, with a hard compact surface, and proper jumps is vastly different to whats available at Tiverton. As for tyres, many of the kits come supplied with dirt tyres anyway, so this would be one less thing to invest in for a beginner. Also, consider the wear rate, from the info I have seen, dirt tyres on that type of surface last much longer than the minispikes we all destroy at the rate of a couple of sets a meeting , minimum.;)

Col
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Points well made, Jimmy and John. I do really fancy the idea of a dirt track, was just wondering about the practcality and cost involved.

Marko - if this all comes together are you gonna think about getting BRCA membership/approval so you can run regionals?
Track design should be fairly easy with the help of Northy (he is a legend...) By my reckoning all you need is 4/5 "features" like a big jump, banked corner, table top, etc and then the rest of the track can be made using piping just like indoors, that way you don't get a stagnant feel with the same track everytime.

Richard Lowe
10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
You could do like they do in the US and have the track open whenever the shop is and charge a few quid to run. If it was a proper hard packed dirt track with plenty of proper jumps I'd probably be there every day :D