PDA

View Full Version : Is the EA3 Material really stronger ?

stefke
11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Having just broken my XXX-CR EA3 chassis today, I'm starting to wonder wether the EA3 material really is stronger as Losi claims it should be. :mad:

I've seen other CR's breaking shocktowers, A-arms, chassis, etc in crashes and jumps where a bk2 would have held up just fine. :wtf:

I'm starting to believe Losi took a cheaper material for the CR to cut costs and gave it the a fancy name.

Anyway, does anyone knows if a bk2 chassis fits a CR ?

Cannabum420
11-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Having just broken my XXX-CR EA3 chassis today, I'm starting to wonder wether the EA3 material really is stronger as Losi claims it should be. :mad:

I've seen other CR's breaking shocktowers, A-arms, chassis, etc in crashes and jumps where a bk2 would have held up just fine. :wtf:

I'm starting to believe Losi took a cheaper material for the CR to cut costs and gave it the a fancy name.

Anyway, does anyone knows if a bk2 chassis fits a CR ?

Yea the bk2 chassis is the same and will fit perfectly. I too have had problems with the new EA3 stuff, I went back to graphite except for the chassis which is the original plastic(or stifzel) for better traction. Infact majority of the pro guys i race with dumped the ea3 shortly after its debut.

barnyard
11-03-2007, 11:10 PM
all the plastic parts are the same as the bk2 apart from the rear arm, hubs and rear pivot

bigred5765
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
and gearbox and front shock mount and rear shock mount and the front arms and the rear toe plate all differ, oops thats almost the whole car

cabbynate
12-03-2007, 12:54 PM
and gearbox and front shock mount and rear shock mount and the front arms and the rear toe plate all differ, oops thats almost the whole car
Don't forget the steering rack and ball cups.;)

Mr X
12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
i run a xxx bk2 with the original xxx gearbox so in the end its a xxxcr with everything in graphite except the chassis, its a regular plastic one. although i have never tried ea3 parts my car never broke i had crashes where people were sure that i broke something but that wasnt the case. i do have a problem with the car though i have bent all my titanium turnbuckles except the steering ones. i did not only bend all the losi ones but i got a set of Lunsford ones and i bent those too, the rear ones bent twice.

bigred5765
12-03-2007, 04:14 PM
in case someone didnt get my little dig before,
the bk2 and the xxxcr are two completly differnet cars,
you cant compare them,shocks are similar thats about it.
ea3 is fine had nps

Cannabum420
12-03-2007, 11:05 PM
in case someone didnt get my little dig before,
the bk2 and the xxxcr are two completly differnet cars,
you cant compare them,shocks are similar thats about it.
ea3 is fine had nps
with the exception of of a few extra holes for the suspension its the same car. Everyone i know hates using the new steering rack, and use the old ones. Heres a little tip get a b4 and dont worry bout all this nonsense. I have never had a problem with mine.

bigred5765
12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
with the exception of of a few extra holes for the suspension its the same car. Everyone i know hates using the new steering rack, and use the old ones. Heres a little tip get a b4 and don't worry bout all this nonsense. I have never had a problem with mine.

thats very funny ha ha,
I'm sure all the top lads use rack, well according to there set ups they all do just checked, and seemed to be doing so at kiddy last week.
and we ran the b4, before we changed to xxxcr, yet were still running the Cr,
and to answer the original question, ea3 wasn't made to be stronger but to replace graphite, as its to dear to make in the us now because of new law governing the manufacturers using it,

jimmy
12-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Wasnt the new steering developed / invented over here in the uk? Cannabum is in the USA carl, maybe the old steering works for their type of tracks?

PaulRotheram
12-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I think alot of the CR was developed over here, I remember reading/seeing alot of the current CR parts being used in prototype form on doughtys site, when he was a losi boy.

When i ran my losi, I wasn't fond of the EA3 material, it seemed to give in more than graphite did, none the less, I had as much graphite on the car that i could to make it bullet proof.

Only the EA3 material was giving in.. that's my experience of it, wether the material has changed abit now to make it more durable i don't know. I finished testing the CR hybrid in 2006 summer.

barnyard
12-03-2007, 11:37 PM
i think here was a problem from what people have said but this only seems to have affected the early ea3 the latest stuff appears to have had far fewer probs.

bigred5765
12-03-2007, 11:53 PM
cant really quote on usa cars or tracks no idea,
only uk stuff, sorry, uk forum uk quotes from me sorry,

stefke
13-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I was planning on getting a (in my opinion) stronger graphite chassis, but I noticed it's almost twice the price of an ea3 one so decided to take the latter.

Has anyone tried both chassis types on the CR ? My FT B4 was a lot easier to drive with the plastic chassis and I was wondering if this is also true for the XXX. Not that it's necessary since the CR is so easy to drive fast. :)

Northy
13-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Who ever said EA3 was stronger? It is for better handling isn't it? :confused:

G

paulj
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I've no idea about EA3 and the strength or lack of but I recall Gil jr saying that the graphite parts are weaker than the stock stifeezel chassis material and were used to reduce weight and reduce flex in the suspension components. Which allows a more predictable handling car and lets the springs and dampers do their job while the arms do their part.
Many of the team drivers used the stock plastic chassis as it provides more grip due to the extra flex over graphite, in tha same way that many racing motorbike frames are designed to allow a certain amount of flex to improve the handling.
From the dim and distant past I'm pretty sure the AE drivers also used to replace the graphite chassis for the B3/4 with a stock version?

myk505
03-04-2007, 06:47 AM
never had any problems with EA3 chasis on the xxxcr or the graphite chasis on my bk2. you mustve have been unlucky to break it

Snakesonaplayne6
04-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Who ever said EA3 was stronger? It is for better handling isn't it? :confused:

G

Northy is right, It was made to allow more chassis flex, making setup less important. I personally have an all EA3 Cr (atleast all the parts Losi makes). I live stateside (sorry, can't help it), and the tracks are a lot smoother, and the EA3 isn't worth it, but for Euro or carpet tracks it is awesome.

ashleyb4
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Th only EA3 part ive broken is a front wishbone.

A

Lee
04-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for that ash :thumbsup:

I do think you should ask jimmy to change your name for you to (CR)Ashley:thumbsup:

Kopite
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
i tried an all graphite Losi CR, and it was awful. No grip on front or rear. If you can source it, then go for the old skool plastic. Failing that, the EA3 is better than the graphite.

Fiddybux
22-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I love the CR over the XXXBK, vast improvement. And the only EA3 bit I break often is the T-Plate. Damn annoying too.