PDA

View Full Version : New to FORCC

Marvin
21-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll introduce myself - I'm Simon Turner, also known as Marvin. Some of you may know me from Modelworld, where I work part-time.

I'm currently deciding whether to run 2WD or 4WD. I'll explain:

I normally race 1/8 Rallycross, but don't want to do another winter series (it's just too wet + muddy), so am looking at getting 1/10 offroad as well. I was thinking 2WD as it's cheaper, and will help teach me throttle control (over the last 4 years I have run nitro, though since the start of this season I have driven 1/8 Electric, and it's far quicker than the nitro).

So what I was wondering is: I know that you are, for the main, a 4WD club, but how many people turn up with 2WD, or even better, in the winter series that you run, is there a 2WD class? If, of course the numbers are too low, I'll just go 4WD, but I'd like to give 2WD a go, as it's a bit different for me.

Thanks! Hope to get to Faversham soon!

Oh, and PS, what cars do people recommend and why (both 2WD and 4WD), leaving the Durango out of it, as it's just tooooooooooooo pricy for me really, even though I really like the idea of gear diffs, not ball diffs.

greasy mark
21-07-2009, 08:21 PM
durango,b44,yokomo,not a durga lol, 2wd got to be a x6,x6squared ,or a b4

MHeadling
21-07-2009, 08:23 PM
How do Marv! Well get down and have a look really, it's a great friendly club and as competative as you want to make it.

It's all 4wd, it's a mission getting a 2wd round there! I have seen 1 in the last 6 months having a go, looked a challenge shall we say!

So as for cars, Cat sx, B44, Durga, 501 all seem to go well in doors, the Pred X11 goes well and Lewis/Niggs gets down there for set up help etc

come down and have a go on my cat and see what you think?

Marvin
21-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys, that'll be a 4WD then!

Oh, thought I'd mention one more thing... I don't like belt drive, almost as much as I don't like ball diffs...

Mark (H), are you suggesting that you'll allow me to drive your car? Have you ever seen me drive?!?

discostu
21-07-2009, 09:27 PM
i wouldnt be to hasty saying you dont like belt drive i would consider it as a belt car is sooo much easier to drive in low grip and forcc is certainly that as for ball diffs i know in 1/8th you dont use them but running at forcc you dont get the dirt and grit so the maintnce is very low. if your looking at budget racers i would say the bmax is good value but as you probly know the parts are a pain to get hold of what about the budget cat (S1) as model world have loads of spares not that you need them im a little one sided as i run a cat the B44 is also very good as is the D4 and you can get these at a very good price.

see you there

stu rand

3975dave
21-07-2009, 09:29 PM
If enough people want to run 2wd i'm sure we will have one for the winter series.:)

If you already have a 2wd you can still run it on a weds for a bit just to get a feel for the club. The only thing is the speed difference on certain parts of the track between the two types of car can make it a bit hard to race properly but, just turn up with what you have.
Hope to see you soon.

Dave.

Marvin
21-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll probably be going 4WD now...

Cars I have in a shortlist at the moment:
CAT Sx
Yokomo BMax4 (w/ Champs Pack)
Hot Bodies D4 (WCE-maybe)
Tamiya TRF501X (No way can I afford the 511 though :cry:)

As you may notice, they are all metric, I don't really want to have to buy another set of tools, so this puts out any American (or US based) car.

Any others? (Not the Pred X11 though)

I'm sure I'll end up liking ball diffs and belts eventually... (not so sure...)

karlst
13-08-2009, 03:49 PM
If enough people want to run 2wd i'm sure we will have one for the winter series.:)

If you already have a 2wd you can still run it on a weds for a bit just to get a feel for the club. The only thing is the speed difference on certain parts of the track between the two types of car can make it a bit hard to race properly but, just turn up with what you have.
Hope to see you soon.

Dave.

so is this going to be an issue??

i have an RB5, i was hoping to race at FORCC over the winter, as i am with Marvin, i normally race Nitro 1:8 but cant be doing with the winter racing, plus i would also like to get some throttle control practice in.

I dont want to have to sell my RB5 just to buy a 4wd car...

are there many 2wd come to FORCC at the moment? is a 2wd class an option for the winter? even if im on my own? :lol::lol::lol::p

B&H Racing
13-08-2009, 04:17 PM
There was a B4 running around there last night along with the 4wd's and I`ve seen this happen a few times.

I assume that the more 2wd's there are then it would be likely they would be put in a heat on their own. (Would have to check )

Don`t let the fact that you have not got a 4wd put you off coming.

Its a friendly club and everyone is welcome. :thumbsup:

3975dave
13-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Just bring it along and you can race. Last night we had one 2wd and he raced in the 4wd heat. For the Sunday series during the winter i think there will definately be a 2wd class which is totally separate but on weds night there is not enough demand for a separate heat. If more decide to race 2wd then that would obviously change. As I said, just turn up with it and have fun.

Hope to see you soon,

Crewie

rc_penguin
13-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Due to many people going to petit next year im sure many of the clubs members are investing in 2wd cars to do both classes, so im guessing a 2wd heat in the winter series could be very likely, i did attempt to bring the 2wd heat back a while back on me own little campain but failed :( :lol: it did massively improve my driving though :D

MHeadling
13-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm up for a 2wd heat if we can get enough of us there? Now what to run B4 or X6?

It will give Neil a chance to have a go on my X6 I'm lending him for the F345 finals.

Let me know if a 2wd heat will be on?

crewie
13-08-2009, 05:39 PM
If you want a 2wd heat just get 5 or more to show up on the night. If its any less than that you would just be placed in with the 4wds. We used to have quite a good 2wd heat every week, very competetive but it just fizzled out.
Hth,

crewie:thumbsup:

greasy mark
13-08-2009, 05:46 PM
im up for running 2wd used to enjoy it when we 1st started at forcc im in the proces of sorting out a 2wd

crewie
13-08-2009, 06:21 PM
You've nearly got a heat already then:woot:

karlst
13-08-2009, 06:29 PM
SWEET, i look forward to coming.

I may pop up in the next few weeks on a Wednesday night to show my face and maybe have a crack but i dont think my little £25 HPI motor (with reverse) is up to the racing standard.....:p

Garry Spice
13-08-2009, 06:44 PM
i could be in for a 2wd heat....gotta run this x6<2 somewhere!!!:thumbsup:

rc_penguin
13-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Im in! :woot:

karlst
13-08-2009, 07:01 PM
looks like iv started something LOL,

Mark (Greasy) i will give you a bell soon mate to arrange meeting up on one of the wednesday nights if thats ok:thumbsup:

greasy mark
13-08-2009, 07:10 PM
no probs karl im not at kent thiss weekend last truggy nat and all that plus i need to test this thing ive been working on

discostu
13-08-2009, 08:27 PM
to be fair i would rather run my 2wd againts 4wd drive just to try and beat the 4wd im sure it could be done.

stu

greasy mark
13-08-2009, 08:35 PM
sounds cool stu has been done b4 but then you did beat some realy quick 4wds with your touring car if i rember right ?

karlst
13-08-2009, 08:57 PM
no probs karl im not at kent thiss weekend last truggy nat and all that plus i need to test this thing ive been working on

Cool, good luck for sunday dude,

Are you still not letting on what this is your working on :lol::lol::p

Marvin
13-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I think I may know what it is. Though, of course, it could be something completely different!

discostu
13-08-2009, 09:26 PM
sounds cool stu has been done b4 but then you did beat some realy quick 4wds with your touring car if i rember right ?

you certanly do my tc was pretty good if only i had more time to setup it could have been sooooo much better.