PDA

View Full Version : Need some help!

Will Olpin
05-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I had my first major indoor race on sunday last gone and i took my D50 along with me and my 70-300mm No aperutre ring lense with me and i had alot of trouble. The cars were sooo blurry and i must of taken 300 trying to get it rite and i know that it was focused properly i made sure of it but i couldnt get it rite.

I had it on sport mode as well on multi-shot.

Im a bit of a noob with the camera so im getting used to it but i never get this outdoors.

What you rekon jimmy i see you take photos indoors.

Thanks,

Will :wink:

OldTimer
05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Will, if you are shooting indoors i guess you would of needed to up the ISO on the camera this would allow to to have a faster shutter speed, as most indoor events have pretty poor light compared with outside. And it seems if your shots are blurry this is due to a low shutter speed i guess.

Also to help the autofocus, if you can on the D50 just use one focus point, as this speeds up the auto focus as it is calculating for one point rather than 4 or 5.

Hope this helps.

jimmy
05-12-2005, 07:16 PM
What sort of lighting is in the hall ? your eyes cant easily tell the difference between a well lit hall and a dim one. I took photos indoors at durham yesterday and to be honest I wasn't in the mood for it and didn't have the camera out for long, but I found it VERY difficult to get a decent shot at all.

Most halls have at least some skylight, the one yesterday only had the sports hall lights which were very dim indeed.

I'm not sure what sports mode does, but best to stick it in Aperture mode and put the aperture to the biggest possible (smallest number) and bump up the ISO to 1600 - thats the only way you will get a shot indoors.
I dont like using flash, but it was pretty much the only way to get any shot at all yesterday.

for focusing its probably best to find a place on the racing line to focus on, then keep the focus (maybe stick it in manual focus) and pan with the car- taking the photo when it passes over your pre-focus area.
if that makes sense..

At batley buggy club its not so bad, there are windows at the top to let in some light, which makes a big difference, and its very noticable on the photos when the sun goes down.

Will Olpin
05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
The lighting was not to good they only had the lights in the hall.

Ok thanks guys ill try that next round :cyclops:

Will Olpin
16-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Jim me and my dad were looking at it and how do we change the shutter speed i suppose its the same way with the D70 and D50? thanks.
:roll:

Will Olpin
16-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Talk about diggin' up an old thread :| but help is needed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/milkshakemissionman/DSC_0010-1.jpg

This was the sort of images i was getting all day and it was really annoying that it was so blurry. Any ideas on settings from what you can see :S.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/milkshakemissionman/DSC_0009-1.jpg

Ta,

Willz

jimmy
16-02-2007, 08:09 PM
What ISO setting were you using there? The shots are at 1/30 of a second, really very slow even for a panning shot it is slow and would be very hard to get a nice shot. Really you need to be running a higher ISO if possible to give you a faster shutter speed - iso1600 for example.
You are also running F5.6 aperture, this is quite small (doesn't let in much light) and for indoors its hard to get a nice photo with this setup unless you have enough light.
Maybe it would be worth looking at a cheap 50mm F1.8 lens - they are only 60 quid or so and very fast (bring in lots of light, so you can have a faster shutter speed to freeze the action)