PDA

View Full Version : What springs fit the zx-5

FBR
07-12-2005, 12:25 AM
First off let me say Jimmy your review was dead on i had the exact same issues with my kit (although i did build it with a kit from rc screws). But what I'm really after is what springs fit the zx-5 ae or losi?
Travis
BTW I spoke with kyosho usa and they claim to have a setup sheet in the works but it will be a month or two until it's ready i'll post a link when i get it

jimmy
07-12-2005, 02:03 AM
A month or two ? nothing like dedication eh!.. I could do one in a day or so, but I dont have the time, and theyre getting paid for it! :shock:

Thanks for the kind comment mate, Ive got some Losi springs in the house now but not tried them on the lazer, i do currently have AE springs fitted, they are close to the body and i have put a bevel on the bottom of the threaded adjuster so the AE springs sit in the middle.
I have some stuff to add to the Kyosho review but I'ce not got round to it yet.

ulrich
23-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Losi spring have a larger diameter than Asso, so I think they will fit better on Kyosho Shocks.
Please let me know if you try Losi springs.

FBR
25-01-2006, 03:30 AM
i put bj4 shocks on mine now so i will get back on those i just had to crank the cartridges to much to get them not to leak and didn't like and plus my other cars are ae so this is easier

BluesFan
25-01-2006, 02:31 PM
FBR, to each his own I guess. I wish I was at your track so I could see your personal set of Kyosho shocks. I honestly think I've never dealt with a better set of 1/10 shocks in my life. 'My set' goes together quicker than anything, require no tools, one quick 'bleed' job, and they are ready to go. No leaking, no dirty oil after 3 weeks of running, and almost no air bubbles! If I had it my way, I'd buy these shocks for every 1/10 off-roader I own! I've had a few problems at times with the rear ones getting air bubbles, but I've never had an easy time with any shocks that call for having large limiters on the inside. That always causes shocks to have air bubble problems. The front ones could go without rebuilds for 2 months easy.... but I usually rebuild them anyway with my rears just to be consistent. It's just a shame you didn't have better luck. I'm not going to say it was you because I've come accross the same thing with other r/c products that work well for some, but don't work for me what so ever. It just comes down to quality control at the r/c companies.

jimmy
25-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Yea i think they are good shocks, they do leak if you dont tighten the bottoms properly, I think the oring at the bottom isnt quite big enough maybe ?
The AE shocks performance is great but they do get dirty quickly compared to others and you can notice the improved performance of the car by regularly fitting new seals to the shocks..
I know of some people who have changed the orings every run :shock: (at the worlds)

one-way
25-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Can someone help me to have good shocks - What are the steps please ? my shoks are leaking by the lower cartridge and also by the shaft -

Please help me (step by step)

Thanks

one-way
25-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Can someone help me to have good shocks - What are the steps please ? my shoks are leaking by the lower cartridge and also by the shaft -

Please help me (step by step)

Thanks

BluesFan
26-01-2006, 03:07 PM
one-way, first I'm going to assume you've followed the instructions in the manual for building them. If you have the cartridge, shaft, and shock body properly built, here is where I go from there:

Put some Associated green slime on the o-rings that surround the shaft. It'll help. Secondly, fill the shock body from the bottom to about 4/5 full. It won't need that much, but if I don't fill that much I will always end up under filling. Maybe my eyes are bad. Next, screw the cartridge onto the shock slowly with the shaft fully extended (piston butting up to the shock limiter or cartridge). Once the cartridge is almost completely screwed on, push the shaft into the shock very slowly so as to release air and excess oil. Once you push the shaft completely in, keep it there and screw the cartridge completely tight with just your fingers. Done and done. That's it. In comparison to all my other 1/10 shocks, the Kyosho ones have been the best by far. I almost never have to re-do that process to have the shocks working perfectly on a rebuild. You may hear a little bit of air on the rear ones after doing this process, but just pump the shock a bit and the air will move to the top of the shock and it should still be smooth after that.

jimmy
26-01-2006, 03:38 PM
All good advice. The finger tight doesnt work for me, they can leak.. i tightened up the bottom slightly more than finger pressure with some pliers and no more leaking..
Ive not had them leak from the seals but I did use some green slime or silicone (clear) grease, cant remember which..

jimmy
26-01-2006, 07:10 PM
heres how I mount up the AE springs btw.. I know someone who has taken off the paint so they fit over the kyosho holders better but i put a bevel on the top adjuster and they sit on that bevel, it just helps centralize the springs so they dont rub on the body..

FBR
27-01-2006, 04:33 AM
the only thing i didn't try was the green slime i was out and had not thought about in while (i should know better by know). but i do understand what your saying about ease of build if i didn't use the yokomo shock caps i would probably still be trying to make the kyosho shocks work for me