PDA

View Full Version : Lrp X-11 or Novak Velociti

KyoshoK
18-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Which is better?

X-11 is newer, did it improve on Novak Velociti?

bert digler
18-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Which is better?

X-11 is newer, did it improve on Novak Velociti?

lrp defo any probs they are interested ,novak uk only ok, as well buy from abroad at your peril regarding warrenty;)

annie_himself
18-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think they have been released long enough. Has the LRP motors been released?

stefke
19-03-2007, 03:29 PM
The X11 has been released. Be carefull though : in most official race series, the sintered rotors are not yet allowed ! Same goes for the new Novaks.

super__dan
19-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Sintered is right after April though isn't it?

I ran my Novak yesterday with both sintered and bonded eventually sticking with the bonded (6.5), had a great drag race with Danny, Pritchard and Stu Mahon. I think we all had 6.5's except Stu who had a 4.5 Mtroniks and he only one by a wafer (before it thermalled ;) )

I honestly can't say enough good things about the Novak systesm I recently got, feels just like a really good brushed motor but with no skimming etc, freaking ace!

stefke
19-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Sintered is right after April though isn't it?

I ran my Novak yesterday with both sintered and bonded eventually sticking with the bonded (6.5), had a great drag race with Danny, Pritchard and Stu Mahon. I think we all had 6.5's except Stu who had a 4.5 Mtroniks and he only one by a wafer (before it thermalled ;) )

I honestly can't say enough good things about the Novak systesm I recently got, feels just like a really good brushed motor but with no skimming etc, freaking ace!

Why did you choose to run the bonded rotors ? I was thinking of upgrading my LRP Vector's with the X11's sintered rotors ? Too brutal perhaps ?

super__dan
20-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Good question.

Main reason was that it's the indoor finals next weekend and sintered isn't legal until after April 1st, so had to practice and set the speedo up on the bonded.

However Worksop is very slippy and I wanted the softer brakes of the bonded. I dare say I could have turned down the brakes but I knew if I went straight to bonded the brakes would be softer and just what I needed.

Long term sintered is the future, well I know the Velociti motors with sintered arm run super__cool and super__fast!

tc2k
20-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Dan correct me if Im wrong but sintered will be legal only if it comes with the motor. So you cant buy a rotor and put it in your novak as they didnt sell it like that.

EDIT: Checking Novaks site from Feb 2007 they sell their brushless motors with sintered rotors. Whether this means all novak motors with sintered are legal or just those purchased after Feb, I dont know.

bigred5765
20-03-2007, 07:30 PM
see below double post

bigred5765
20-03-2007, 07:32 PM
only the 4.5 is sintered as standard in LRP x11 motors
and I'm sure the same in Novak according to web site any way 3.5 and 4.5
and to be honest, the LRP sintered in 4,5 revs less than the 5.5 bonded, but wattage is way higher

tc2k
20-03-2007, 07:41 PM
As I said bigred all the novak motors are now sintered from Feb 2007

Colinevan
20-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Just to add to your comments then really, I know for a fact that not many gtb have sold with sintered rotors direct from cml. I think the early 3.5 and poss the 4.5 ,ay be excluded hpwever. I know this as iv just purchased the first available improved GTB 4.5 with a sintered rotor from cml for my new trf 501x. Dave duggan from CMl was very helpful and informed me that this was there first in.

Everyone else that iv spoke too, including myself (with my older 5.5) have upgraded to a sintered rotor as they wasnt available as a complete motor. The newer factory spec sintered setups should be available with all the 7.5 / 6.5 /5.5 combos etc and should be available soon.

I suppose only cml etc can advise on current stock situations.

The only advice i would give is make sure that if your buying a gtb, its the newer sintered version, your local model shop will only know this if they ring cml and ask.

Col.

Colinevan
20-03-2007, 07:45 PM
As I said bigred all the novak motors are now sintered from Feb 2007

Ha ha, just beat me to it. I think the first batch are all available as of now, the complete speedo n motor package however are just filtering through, If they were available as of Feb, Mine was the first sold in March, hence if anyone is bying one, make sure its not the model shops old stock which they might have had on shelf for a while.:cool:

Col.

AndyM
20-03-2007, 08:00 PM
sorry, this is probably a stupid question:rolleyes: ....but is the actual differences between sintered and bonded?

Northy
20-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Just thought I'd point out that Sintered rotors are NOT ALLOWED at the indoor finals at York this weekend.

G

gramey
20-03-2007, 09:32 PM
:)Recently bought 1 x LRP X11 6.5 & 1 x Nosram Evolution 6.5 (same thing I'm told?) for mine and my sons Predator off road buggies and they're superb. I can't compare it with a Novak as this is my first brushless, I was swayed by the guy at my LHS who stock both but reckons back up on the LRP/Nosram is better.
So far I hav'nt been disappointed.:)

tc2k
20-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Supposedly sintered runs alot coolor and more efficiently.

Im a bit undecided as to whether I should go brushless still

ApexSpeed
20-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Supposedly sintered runs alot coolor and more efficiently.

Im a bit undecided as to whether I should go brushless still

Yes, go brushless. You'll never go back.

Sintered rotors are stronger magnets and can withstand higher heat than a standard bonded rotor. This helps with stronger brakes and allows slightly higher gearing with lower temps. Lower temps equals less thermal heat shutdowns. Actually, I don't know of too many guys who have thermaled a sintered rotor motor.

The truth is, a sintered rotor is better in EVERY way, with one exception. There is no real reason to not allow sintered rotors for mod class racing. The only downside to a sintered rotor is the cost, and that's it. They are better performing and more efficient in every way. Race groups not allowing sintered rotors don't understand the technology and are keeping it at arm's reach until they see other organizations allowing them. The only place I can understand not allowing them is in situations where brushless motors are allowed in stock or 19T classes, and in that case, a decided advantage is had at a much higher expense.

I run them in all of my motors. At $25 (USD) per rotor, it's no different than putting expensive cooling systems, ceramic bearings or costly brushes every 4 runs in a brushed motor.

doug

KyoshoK
20-03-2007, 11:09 PM
so the 6.5r that i bought 6 months ago is not sinitered? i thought all the velociti motors were. i.e 7.5r - 3.5r ?? is there an easy way to tell??

sinistered means they have the larger rotor and bearing than the 4300/5800 ?

annie_himself
21-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Has anyone driven the 7.5? How does it lay down power? I want the power of a 12t or so but not the hassle.

trekkerkk
21-03-2007, 06:52 AM
dont forget the new orion motors are just out apparently there as good as the nosrams after being tested last weekend,ill get mine hopefully in the next couple off days,as soon as ive done some running ill post my thoughts and findings,:)

trekkker

Bathy
21-03-2007, 07:35 AM
dont forget the new orion motors are just out apparently there as good as the nosrams after being tested last weekend,ill get mine hopefully in the next couple off days,as soon as ive done some running ill post my thoughts and findings,:)

trekkker

I noticed that Orion had launched some brushless motors, however one thing that's a bit unfair and puts me off using them is that Novak say that you should only used 'Novak' motors with their brushless ESC. I think that’s a little naughty personally, as it stands using someone else’s motor could mean no refunds if your electrics do a 'Southwell'.

trekkerkk
21-03-2007, 07:39 AM
do a southwell,thats so funny:)
ill be running the orion motor with a nosram 2007 spec speedo,
if that makes any difference

trekkker

I noticed that Orion had launched some brushless motors, however one thing that's a bit unfair and puts me off using them is that Novak say that you should only used 'Novak' motors with their brushless ESC. I think that’s a little naughty personally, as it stands using someone else’s motor could mean no refunds if your electrics do a 'Southwell'.

bigred5765
21-03-2007, 08:38 AM
buy the way u know that the novak motors run on the nosram/lrp system. no mods at all

Rob
21-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Has anyone driven the 7.5? How does it lay down power? I want the power of a 12t or so but not the hassle.

7.5 is equilvant of the old 2 star which apparently Neil Cragg has tested with so should be fine, especially in 2wd.

mark christopher
21-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, go brushless. You'll never go back.

Sintered rotors are stronger magnets and can withstand higher heat than a standard bonded rotor. This helps with stronger brakes and allows slightly higher gearing with lower temps. Lower temps equals less thermal heat shutdowns. Actually, I don't know of too many guys who have thermaled a sintered rotor motor.

The truth is, a sintered rotor is better in EVERY way, with one exception. There is no real reason to not allow sintered rotors for mod class racing. The only downside to a sintered rotor is the cost, and that's it. They are better performing and more efficient in every way. Race groups not allowing sintered rotors don't understand the technology and are keeping it at arm's reach until they see other organizations allowing them. The only place I can understand not allowing them is in situations where brushless motors are allowed in stock or 19T classes, and in that case, a decided advantage is had at a much higher expense.

I run them in all of my motors. At $25 (USD) per rotor, it's no different than putting expensive cooling systems, ceramic bearings or costly brushes every 4 runs in a brushed motor.

doug

hmm mirage site shows the sintered are cheaper to buy inj the nosram range

NR90603Replacement Rotor For 7.5, 6.5 & 5.5 Turn Motors
Make : Nosram
Type : Elect. Motors & Accs
Range: Brushless Types£ 29.99 http://www.mirageracing.com/images/giftrick.gifhttp://www.mirageracing.com/images/giftrick.gifhttp://www.mirageracing.com/images/add.gif (http://www.mirageracing.com/shoplist.php?func=add&id=NR90603)

In Stock

NR90610Replacement Sintered Rotor 4.5T (Fits all types)
Make : Nosram
Type : Elect. Motors & Accs
Range: Brushless Types£ 21.99 http://www.mirageracing.com/images/giftrick.gifhttp://www.mirageracing.com/images/giftrick.gifhttp://www.mirageracing.com/images/add.gif (http://www.mirageracing.com/shoplist.php?func=add&id=NR90610)

In Stock

mark christopher
21-03-2007, 09:31 AM
ive been runing one, very smooth with a good top end

SPRCIAL AGENT
21-03-2007, 01:19 PM
The novak system is tip top. The new batch is even better running even cooler. I have had on for a while now and it has never got above 35 degrees with a 4.5 in 4wd. The sintered rotors are the way to go. Cool and you can gear it wrong and still get away with it as they pull harder.

jim76
21-03-2007, 01:50 PM
The novak system is tip top. The new batch is even better running even cooler. I have had on for a while now and it has never got above 35 degrees with a 4.5 in 4wd. The sintered rotors are the way to go. Cool and you can gear it wrong and still get away with it as they pull harder.

Is it cool enogh to run the speedo without the heatsink? I need to shoehorn one into a zx5!
Also, what overall ratio are people running the 4.5 on in 4wd?

ta

super__dan
21-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I believe as said above all new (not stock in back of shops) novak motors ALL have sintered rotors (a good thing after this weekend), for sure all motors with finned cans will have sintered rotors (so I have been told).

Annie, my 6.5 lays the power down great, just like a 10 turn brushed, so I see no reason why the 7.5 should be any different. You can always soften up the responce on the speedo and also a negative throttle curve.

Brushless is ace, I love it!

KyoshoK
21-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Is it cool enogh to run the speedo without the heatsink? I need to shoehorn one into a zx5!
Also, what overall ratio are people running the 4.5 on in 4wd?

ta

wow 4.5 in offroad 4wd??? is that useable?

ApexSpeed
21-03-2007, 10:57 PM
so the 6.5r that i bought 6 months ago is not sinitered? i thought all the velociti motors were. i.e 7.5r - 3.5r ?? is there an easy way to tell??

sinistered means they have the larger rotor and bearing than the 4300/5800 ?

No, if you bought it 6 months ago, it was an original bonded rotor. The easiest way to tell in anything 5.5 and taller is the old motors have smooth cans. You can also take them apart pretty easily to see. The early rotors are a tight fit in the windings, where the sintered smooth rotors are smaller outer diameter. Some of the old rotors have a twine wound around them and glued, too. They don't look anything like a sintered rotor.

Everything sold new now should be the upgraded rotor/endbell/solder tabs/bearings, etc. However, there are lots of places selling the old stock, so be careful before you order your new motor.

doug

trekkerkk
01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
hi all,
just finished testing the orion 5.5 motor with nosram 2007 spec speedo,after playing around slightly im most impressed,from there reccomended gearing being slightly low for uk tracks,all i did was advance the motor 1deg and went up one pinion,the amount off accellaration was just amazing with not a shabby top end iether,i would not have a problem reccomending this combo to anyone you shouldnt be dissapointed,
i probbaly will be testing more on wednesday so will play with gear ratios etc... a bit more,

trekkker