PDA

View Full Version : Madrat Setups

Battle_axe
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
The madrat/xpro buggy is getting more popular please post your setups here.

Battle_axe
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
ok i will start
proline dirt arena
35wt fron 30rear
inside hole front outside on the wishbone
middle hole rear outside on the wishbone
with a 17T brushed and 3700mah cells and proline holshots ribs on the front

stampede vxlboy
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
what set up would i need for my madrat i am using brushless mamba castle and 8.5 turn motor and what pinion gear what size .and scream as its set off but when i put in reverse its fine. nose when set off . i am using brushed .till i sort it out but then brushless power here we come

budgio
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
what set up for my madrat i would i need i am using brushless mamba castle and 8.5 turn motor and pinion gear what size and scream as its set off but when i put in reverse its fine nose when set off . i am using brushed .till i sort it out but then brushless power here we come

Speak English boy ! :p

DCM
11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Until I get the shocks working freely, not much point in playing too much, so far,

Front, kit locations, pistons drilled to 1.2mm, 35wt oil, B4 steering blocks.

Rear, kit locations, pistons drilled to 1.4mm, 30wt oil, nortech o-rings (make a hell of a difference)

Got loads of rear grip, lacks front end, been winding up the servo saver to make it more positive for now.

SuperSparkSteve
12-08-2009, 07:15 AM
what set up would i need for my madrat i am using brushless mamba castle and 8.5 turn motor and what pinion gear what size .and scream as its set off but when i put in reverse its fine. nose when set off . i am using brushed .till i sort it out but then brushless power here we come

sounds like u dont have the pinion and spur gear meshed right, its either too close or too far apart.

stampede vxlboy
12-08-2009, 08:10 AM
thanks super sparks what pinion people use for outdoor track. i can not do indoor track its hard to get there with all the buser . so i will be doing marley track on sunday:thumbsup:

jameswilkinson7
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Which motor are you wanting to run in your madrat on Sunday?

stampede vxlboy
12-08-2009, 08:32 AM
4600kv mate mamba castle i got this morning buzzing

stampede vxlboy
12-08-2009, 08:36 AM
james have you got any spare pinion gear lend me for racing on sunday . if not need go get some modelshop

jameswilkinson7
12-08-2009, 09:06 AM
4600kv mate mamba castle i got this morning buzzing

Thats equal to a 12 turn brushed? Id start at about 16 - 17 tooth pinion and go from there... Unfortunately Im a little short on 48dp pinons, but im sure the guys at the club will have something:thumbsup:

Nick Goodall
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I've only run the car at Lee's CML Raceway but that was completely standard, even the kit 20 tooth pinion (i think) on a Novak 6.5 and Reedy Lipo.

The one thing i will work on is the Weight of the car, and also the Slipper set-up as i couldn't get it to slip, just wheelie all over the place....

Set-up wise even in kit form the car was really quite good, Lee's track doesn't really have any random bumps etc but plenty of big jumps, tight turns and fast sections so i was really pleased with how it was turning in and generating loads of traction.

saintnitro
12-08-2009, 11:03 AM
hi all

i got mine on friday ran it saturday and love it:thumbsup:

i the only thing i did is put 40wt shock oil in front and 50wt in rear, i was running it on lipo with 17.5 losi b/l system, ok it was'nt keeping up with the others as they where running 10.5 and 9t but it handled realy well and jumps great. i dont think it needs a lot of tinkering the only thing i'm getting for it is better tyres and a 9t b/l for it.

Ginge

saintnitro
12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
what do you think 9t or will a 6.5 be better could it handle a 6.5 or will it be to much?

Ginge

jim76
12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
6.5 will be fine in it, but if you are a relative beginnerthen you may find a 7.5 or even 8.5 easier to drive at first. a faster car does not guarantee a faster laptime! first rule for beginners!

madwestmo
14-09-2009, 01:33 PM
hi,

I relatively new to 2wd off road , i only race at one track at the moment which is mostly astroturf , its quite bumpy for astroturf and has several small jumps and one large tabletop jump.

Up until now i have been running the standard XPro setup apart from the shocks i have 35w in the front and 30w in the rear , i also have several of the ''TeamC'' hopup parts including the brass lipo tray and the front hingepin holder with the brass weight inside it , also have a set of 30degrees caster blocks

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what i could change to suit the track i am running on , also i am using schumacher yellow spikes at the back and a choice of staggered or spikes for the front. Any advice would be greatly appriecated... Also im not sure on what rebound to go for as its the first time ive ever set some buggy shocks up...

Thanks in advance :)

rc_dan
14-09-2009, 01:56 PM
im looking to add some weight to the front, what sort of weight have people added ? 100/150g ?

found these, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STICK-ON-LEAD-STYLE-WEIGHTS---LIPO-RC-CAR-BALLAST-BLACK_W0QQitemZ220462410596QQcmdZViewItem

are these the sort of thing people are using ?

budgio
14-09-2009, 02:01 PM

rc_dan
14-09-2009, 02:08 PM
should of tried a search 1st ignore my post sorry guys :blush:

ConceptRacing
14-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I am currently running B4 shocks all round with blue front springs and silver rears, Schumacher yellows with hard blue inserts all round 40wt oil in the front and 30wt in the rear, front shock position outer hole on the tower and inner hole on the wishbone, camber link on the front in the outer hole giving a shorter camber link, helps the car steer a bit quicker, dont ask why as I dont quite understand why but it works, 40 grams weight on the servo possibly could do with a little more to stop the front from lifting, rear shock position middle on the tower, outer on the wishbone, car feels easy to drive, good balance of on power steering and of power steering in to a corner, 1 degree of front camber and 3 degrees on the rear, I think thats it so far but there is more to come out the car.using a Nosram Matrix evo speedo no fan, with a Losi 7.5 motor, Ko servo and KO helios spektrum radio, Trakpower 4900 lipos, kit 80th spur with 24th pinion.

madwestmo
14-09-2009, 04:02 PM
cool sounds like a plan :) only problem is im using the stock xpro shocks not the B4 ones , i dont quite understand about what u mean by camber link , if its the part that changes the front camber then there is 2 holes each end , i have the holes in the middle of the chassis on the inner ones and on the c-hubs or whatever they are on the outer one... so maybe making them shorter will help me out ?

Paulmay79
14-09-2009, 04:08 PM
My x-pro is straight out the box. Im running the standard shock oil and standard 21t pinion gear. Its set up with a speed passion gt2 esc and sp 5.5t brushless motor. Ive set the esc to aggressive its a must. Im running 7.2 ni-mh.

george!
07-11-2009, 08:18 PM
i havn't done that much to my mad rat, i recently go some nice blue yeah racing shocks and for christmas im getting a brushless ezrun 9t combo

any idea what pinion/spur i should use with the motor?

stampede vxlboy
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
i use a 21 pinion gear with 9 turn ezrun combo

george!
08-11-2009, 05:00 PM

do u recommend any other mods

stox217
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Ball bearings is a must!
mabe some better tyres

stampede vxlboy
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
tplate and some good tryes and some b4shocks
and the bearing kit as it as been said

george!
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
thanks for your suggestions:thumbsup:

i've been looking at these bearings and i reckon they will be on my chistmas list:D
http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_59&products_id=590

i've looked at some other threads and they said that the newer mad rat kits had a stronger t-plate but a carbon fibre one would look pretty good:woot:
what tires do you reckon would be good??

stox217
08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
The bearing set is a must.
And from rcbearings you cannot go wrong good prices and postage too :thumbsup:
yellow spikes are what you need

george!
08-11-2009, 09:13 PM

where hese the tires you suggested?
http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?recnumber=10116

stox217
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
There the ones mate.
you need front set and a rear
+ green foam insirts.

Stampy dont pm me again!
how much are the bearing for the madrat for a full set ? and a seperate price on the b4 bearing kit plz Theres a link above try that!

stampede vxlboy
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks mate

stox217
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
thanks mate

you know what

Madrat bearings
http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.ph...roducts_id=590 (http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_59&products_id=590)

B4
http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_24&products_id=637

I know it says b2 but the b2 & b3 & b4 run on the same bearing sizes

stampede vxlboy
08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
thankyou i could find b4 bearing

rcracer
11-11-2009, 12:43 PM
ok had a clean up ...keep the topic on set ups stampy ;)

Battle_axe
11-11-2009, 11:56 PM
ok had a clean up ...keep the topic on set ups stampy ;)
thanks allot rcracer good moding there:thumbsup:

george!
16-11-2009, 07:24 PM
lol:lol:
i'm gonna get the bearing set
but i'm not sure wether i need the metal sealed bearings or the rubber sealed ones????:eh?:
does anyone know which one i should choose
if it helps i mostly run it in my garden-grass, a bit of mud and sometimes i get on some tarmac

mattlynch
16-11-2009, 09:39 PM
front
shocks, 0.8mm hole drilled in top cap, all the way outboard kit oil and springs, pistons drilled to 1mm in all three holes,50%rebound,, ride height set to give level wishbones
top links, (camberlinks) at full length outboard,outboard inboard,inboard and set to 1.5 deg neg static camber with the wishbones level,
1 deg toe in
ackerman plate, rear holes
servo saver set 1.5mm pre load

Rear
shocks,0.8mm hole in shock caps, all the way out at the top and inboard at the bottom,kit oil and pistons are stock,rebound 70%, ride height set to give level wishbones
top links , in, in . out ,out ,as the front,,2 deg static neg camber ,

Diff, set with 2.5mm between outdrive nut retainer and inboard end of outdrive slot,

slipper set to 19.5mm

wing set to max at highest setting on shock stay,

5.5t brushless with li-po in large areas, 15t brushless in small tight areas

stock tyres. this set up gives a touch of off power over steer with easily controllable over steer on power, lots of fun , i realy love this little car!!!:D
P.S add an 'o'ring or two or a bit of fuel hose to the bottom of the shock shaft to act as a bump stop if you run the shock caps drilled, or you risk puncturing the diaphram !

ConceptRacing
17-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Now thats a concise set up, looks interesting, struggling to understand the in out out bit for the top links but I kind of get the jist of what you mean, kind of how I got mine set up, been trying to find or make a set up sheet for the Rat but struggling to find something suitable, tried to use the one for the RB5 but doesnt quite work, if anyone is very clever with doing something like this with Adobe or can create a PDF file or some sort to make a set up sheet that would help a lot.

colmo
17-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Now thats a concise set up, looks interesting, struggling to understand the in out out bit for the top links but I kind of get the jist of what you mean, kind of how I got mine set up, been trying to find or make a set up sheet for the Rat but struggling to find something suitable, tried to use the one for the RB5 but doesnt quite work, if anyone is very clever with doing something like this with Adobe or can create a PDF file or some sort to make a set up sheet that would help a lot.

Easy enough to do:

1) Download Open Office
2) Open a Spreadsheet
3) Create a spreadsheet with every possible setup option - select a solid border for those cells
4) Export as a PDF

mattlynch
17-11-2009, 08:18 PM
yeh i am a bit overly retentive over set ups, the devil is often in the detail,, should read , top suspesion links inboard pivot ball is placed at the inboard of the two holes available = in, in .outboard pivot ball is at the outer of the two positions available =out,out and so on,
as for the set up sheet pdf perhaps a few mad rat,XPro owners who might benefit from such a thing could email Ansmann and get them to add it to there site as a downloadable pdf.

ConceptRacing
17-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Blimey colmo, you just confused me even more, now say that in english! or even draw it! im sure its easy but as im someone who just about knows how to use word or exel it may as well be in japanese, I may have a word with Ansmann and see if there is such a thing or if they could create a set up sheet for the Rat/Xpro, cheers for trying to explain how to do it.

Matt, when you say 0.8mm hole in top cap, what do you mean by this? dont quite follow, unless you mean the pistons.

Battle_axe
17-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Blimey colmo, you just confused me even more, now say that in english! or even draw it! im sure its easy but as im someone who just about knows how to use word or exel it may as well be in japanese, I may have a word with Ansmann and see if there is such a thing or if they could create a set up sheet for the Rat/Xpro, cheers for trying to explain how to do it.

Matt, when you say 0.8mm hole in top cap, what do you mean by this? dont quite follow, unless you mean the pistons.

i can draw one up but what about coppyright issues with ansmann?

mattlynch
17-11-2009, 10:34 PM

you can just see the hole in the top cap , makes building the shocks up much easier and allows the bladder to do its job without compresed air behind it,,you can also tune the suspension rebound/pack by using harder or softer bladders:thumbsup: the top link settings are the stock settings from ansmann manual but with static camber adjusted.

ConceptRacing
17-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Can just about see the hole, a bit like the new Associated caps with bleed screws, not a bad idea, worth trying out.

Battleaxe, im sure Ansmann would be more than happy with any help drawing a set up sheet up, certainly saves them having to do it and as they havent got one yet im sure there wouldnt be any copyright issues, be good to see what you can come up with, tried to have a go myself and got in a right mess by taking a picture and trying to draw it out by hand, soon gave up on that as im not the artistic type, not a very steady hand when it comes to drawing ends up more like a wiggly snake! like a 3year old with a crayon

mattlynch
17-11-2009, 11:02 PM
yeah it works really well, it is an old idea i first saw done on a losi about 20 years or so ago, just dont go too big with the drill bit size, i used a 0.8mm as i know that if it doesnt bring the result i was wanting i can just stick a 1.2mm self tapper (tamiya use them to hold the light buckets on to the scale body sets they do) or a touch of super glue to fill the hole again.

Battle_axe
18-11-2009, 07:30 AM
cool i will have a go thursday then since i am racing tonight break out the cad :)

ConceptRacing
18-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Cool look forward what you can come up with, no doubt it would be a lot better than my effort

notme
25-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I want to modify a rb5 setup sheet to use for the xpro. I dont have a car yet, only have the manual for the madrat, are all the hole locations/positions the same on the xpro the same as the madrat? The manual shows the holes better then any pictures ive found surfing the web.
thnx

kedal
25-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes its the same because same parts.
I'm interested about your future blank setup sheet.

Battle_axe
26-11-2009, 12:20 AM
hope this does the trick

budgio
26-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Cool ,thanks :thumbsup:

kedal
26-11-2009, 12:46 PM

You made it or you find it on a official place ?

mattlynch
26-11-2009, 04:31 PM
hope this does the trick, thankyou Battle.:thumbsup:

notme
26-11-2009, 04:44 PM
It looks like it was made from images out of the manual. Im still working on one, a modification of an rb5 s/u sheet.

ConceptRacing
26-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Cheers Battle axe, looks good and very useable, printed one of already for my car, hopefully scan it in and post it here later

Battle_axe
26-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Cheers Battle axe, looks good and very useable, printed one of already for my car, hopefully scan it in and post it here later

thanks allot i want to change it a tiny bit but i have been in hospital today i will have a go soon as i can think straight

Battle_axe
30-11-2009, 07:29 PM
anyone got any setups? will put mine up for dirt on thursday

DCM
30-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Would any of you guys be interested in buying my X-Pro off me, with spares, and converted to run B4 wheels?

bigred5765
30-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Would any of you guys be interested in buying my X-Pro off me, with spares, and converted to rub B4 wheels?

nice one dcm how good do they rub lol:lol:

DCM
30-11-2009, 07:58 PM
tut tut, you shouldn't edit your quote posts Mr Latham :woot:

ConceptRacing
02-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Heres my set up sheet, thanks to Battle axe!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c266/teamsnoopyracing/Madratsetupsheet.jpg

Battle_axe
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM

well done will fill mine out today after i have had a play on the dirt and will get it up i will be at coventry in the summer so good to see what works there

bigred5765
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
tut tut, you shouldn't edit your quote posts Mr Latham :woot:
lol nice one

notme
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Heres the setup sheet I made if your interested.

Skeeter
08-12-2009, 07:07 PM
JP Richards setup sheet for Trackside in Wisconsin, USA
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv20/skeeter2722/SX10-2W_JP_Trackside_12-20091.jpg

kaylon
11-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Should add this link also to Team Q set up stuff..

http://www.tqracing.net/setups.html

And Rob's set up...

http://www.tqracing.net/TQMotoramaPressRelease.pdf

K

OneKiwi
14-01-2011, 07:35 AM
I found what looks like a good setup sheet but Im unsure If I can post links to other fourms, but I would like to upload them or have them as a link in my post how do I do that?
I see the insert picture button but how do I insert a PDF?

Robbiejuk
14-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Download them to your computer and then click the manage attachments button in the additional options section when you are posting a reply.

You will get a pop up box, click browse button, find file and then click ok. Then hit the upload button. Close the pop-up window and then hit submit reply.

Here are some gear charts for both X2 and X4 pro :thumbsup:

OneKiwi
14-01-2011, 02:45 PM
there ya go thanks I see it now but I tried it and the file is 253kb so its over the limit

Changed it so now I think you can DL it then zoom to 200% and it will be an A4 size

I have another copy which is editable in PDF but too big to upload here

colmo
14-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Presuming its a PDF or JPG, zipping it won't help. Upload it to Google Docs, publish to web and post the link here.

there ya go thanks I see it now but I tried it and the file is 253kb so its over the limit

jpmatrix
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM

What are the spring rates you have?

You got blue on the front and silver on the back.

Is silver a stiffer spring than the blue?

I currently got the stock springs with B4 shocks on my madrat and Im currently running on astroturf.
What springs should I use as the grip level is quite high on the track?

I also recently changed to lipo and noticed the handlingis not as good due to it being lighter. I have made a brass plate 90g to fit underneath the battery and aplate underneath the servo 40g.

James

ConceptRacing
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
At the time of writing the set up sheet I was using B4 shocks, with Associated springs, I now use Losi shocks as I felt they were a lot better, with them I use Losi springs as well, blue front and pink rear, most of the time I only change the front springs depending on grip levels, stock springs are being used by a lot of team drivers but that always depends on the grip on the day, im sure others have a different set up they use.
Working out what springs to use is a personal preference, best to get a couple of different ones and just try and see what works best for you.

Robbiejuk
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Here is my Ansmann X-pro set-up from the last round of the WBMCC Indoor off-road championships. Qualified fifth in the A final (Won't go into where I finished because i had a mare :lol:).

Car is pretty much standard with the exception of 30 degree alloy castor blocks and a rudebits under servo weight. It went really well on the day, concept racing even commented on how well it went through the corners.

If you have any trouble reading my writing give me a shout.

jpmatrix
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Here is my Ansmann X-pro set-up from the last round of the WBMCC Indoor off-road championships. Qualified fifth in the A final (Won't go into where I finished because i had a mare :lol:).

Car is pretty much standard with the exception of 30 degree alloy castor blocks and a rudebits under servo weight. It went really well on the day, concept racing even commented on how well it went through the corners.

If you have any trouble reading my writing give me a shout.

Just of interest how much does your madrat weigh?
with the weights I put in mine weighs about 1580g.

Robbiejuk
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Good question, unfortunaley I have taken all the stuff out of it now and transferred it over to my mid motored chassis.

I have got plans to put my spare electronics into it though so I will do that and weigh it.