PDA

View Full Version : Winter outdoor racing?

qatmix
04-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I’ve been thinking. Would people be up for an outdoor winter racing series? Nowadays with our lipo / brushless engineering masterpieces the weather is a large deterrent. However what I am proposing is to have a series with a few simple rules.

Rain does not stop play. The car should run at the designated time.
Only one car allowed for entry. (i.e you are not able to have a wet / dry car)

Its shouldn’t be much of a problem to get a car to be able to run in all weather conditions. Just pick up a cheap 4wd. Fit brushed motors and a waterproof esc, nicads and pop the receiver in a plastic bag / balloon. Simple job done.

The only other accessories would be a raincoat and a flask.. sorted ready for whatever the northern winter can throw at you.
It would be fun, plus racing in the wet will definitely sharpen up your skills.
whadduya think?

T4miy4 Guy
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I`d be up for it with my new Slash! but not my Durga!

I think the problem will be that people have spent alot of money on recievers, servo`s, esc, motors etc and wouldn`t want them ruined/waterproofed or not theres a big risk there!

I`m up for taking part but not if it`s lobbing it down , kinda beats your idea tho!

Andy;)

budfish
04-09-2009, 05:38 PM
what a stupid idea but ill come and watch you run a car round a track on your own itll be like taking a trip back in time to when people had no brains!!!!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

qatmix
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
what a stupid idea but ill come and watch you run a car round a track on your own itll be like taking a trip back in time to when people had no brains!!!!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Or maybe it will be like the old days when we were real men and used to race in the rain. :p

The track at Bury is mainly artificial, it was only mud that would really mess things up once it got into the motors.

As I said, its not meant to be something to jeopardise our main racing equipment. Its an alternative running cheap waterproof equipment.

I was just thinking that it might be something different.

budfish
04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
you dont have to tell me what bury track is like i race there every time its on and most weekends its not. it is not a nice place when its wet. just like bank holiday monday it rained so we all went home. most of us hardly have time to maintain one car let alone 2 so like i said i think youll be on your own oh sorry vince and andy might come with you "team durga" im sure youll all have a great time woopee:blush::blush::blush::blush:

Si Coe
04-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I've raced winter outdoors series before, back in my youth. Its not ideal to be honest.
Rain isn't the problem. Waterproofing the car was easy enough, in fact unless there is extensive standing water (big puddles) a close fitting shell and undertray keeps most out.
The problem is the not racing. Its bloody freezing. Its so cold wrenching on your car is a nightmare. And marshalling is very dangerous as the track gets really slippery.

Don't get me wrong - if it was running I'd come, but then I'm stupid. And I always won the winter series at Springfield.

BTW - Springfield my old club used to run grass in summer and tarmac in winter. Its easier on the cars. So you wouldn't need the Bury track, just a suitable car park.

T4miy4 Guy
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
you dont have to tell me what bury track is like i race there every time its on and most weekends its not. it is not a nice place when its wet. just like bank holiday monday it rained so we all went home. most of us hardly have time to maintain one car let alone 2 so like i said i think youll be on your own oh sorry vince and andy might come with you "team durga" im sure youll all have a great time woopee:blush::blush::blush::blush:

Hmm.. Dave i think its a good idea tbh but not for buggy`s(Race spec) maybe short course or anything else you got, truggies,anything off road or willing to mess about with! i`ve got the bug now coming from nitro (The Darkside:p) anything to get me out the house, from the kid`s and the misses :), it`s all fun! ;)

Andy:)

VinceVegaUK
13-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I think it would be a fun driving experience, i don't think it would effect the cars that much but the bits in between races, marshaling, repair, and charging would be a pain especially if it rained, would be cool to have a snow race (pack it down with some shovels) but still would be better off inside.

Si Coe
13-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Personally I reckon we should hold a special one off race meeting at Chill Factor! The bottom section is relatively flat and could provide space for a smallish track, but we could have the pits in the changing area so not so bloody cold. If we paid enough money we could hire the place for a few hours of insane fun....

The race controller
13-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Personally I reckon we should hold a special one off race meeting at Chill Factor! The bottom section is relatively flat and could provide space for a smallish track, but we could have the pits in the changing area so not so bloody cold. If we paid enough money we could hire the place for a few hours of insane fun....

What do we have here ? Another who can predict the lottery numbers????
And five numbers won't be enough for that place.

Si Coe
13-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Actually its not as stupidly expensive as you'd think. A mountain bike club hired the Doncaster one for an afternoon a couple of years back. Not sure what they paid but I know some of the guys that did it and they certainly weren't lottery winners so it can't have been that much!

Besides, in there I might stand a chance of not overheating my esc for once.....

VinceVegaUK
13-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Thats not a bad idea, i think you can hire it, they do have a lower section where they do other stuff, thing is its all slope related so not sure if they have a big enough flatter area, plus we would need to hire it long enough to build the track also. Would be pretty cool though!

The race controller
13-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Thats not a bad idea, i think you can hire it, they do have a lower section where they do other stuff, thing is its all slope related so not sure if they have a big enough flatter area, plus we would need to hire it long enough to build the track also. Would be pretty cool though!

"Pretty Cool" it'd be ffffffffreezin'