PDA

View Full Version : what touring car

Dickylew
20-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Got Hobao nitro buggy for my son last xmas but he finds nitro too hard so am looking to sell it and start in electric touring cars especially as there is a very good club near me in chatham.

I know this is a difficult question but where is a good place to start regarding purchasing a touring car the various cyclones models seem to be popular.

Need something not too difficult too set up but still able to compete at club level.

I have a modest amount of experience in 4wd electric buggies.

Any suggestions please.

madwestmo
20-09-2009, 01:29 PM
maybe a xray T2R pro , plastic version of the 009 and would be a great starting point :)

Brooks
20-09-2009, 01:33 PM
You may be interested in a Xray T1 FK05 touring car i have for sale. Its full carbon fibre and well looked after, with box & instructions, setup sheets.
Loads & loads of spares, new and used
Perfect starter car

Pm me if interested :thumbsup:

Cheers
Chris B

paulm
20-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Dont make the mistake i made in buying older cars, Buy the best, newest you can afford, something like an XRAY T2 008 which is the same as the 009, or a tamiya 415.:thumbsup:

Welshy40
20-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Dont forget hpi do some good cars such as the cyclone

lochness42
20-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Get Xray, my experience is that it's quite durable car.

Dickylew
20-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies seems to be 3 votes for the xrays.

Looked on website and the T2R pro looks good, definately on my shortlist.

Think i will go with new rather than used as for me part of the fun is building the thing then watching my son race em.

Any other opinions/sugestions would be welcome.

Will put my nitro car up for sale soon then use the proceeds for the tc.

Anyone know where the xrays are sold?

lochness42
20-09-2009, 07:15 PM
If you'll choose T2R Pro get proper turnbuckles for this car - it's only downside of this version - other than that it's perfect.

chris_trcc
20-09-2009, 10:39 PM
see what people using down at the club and see what parts are most common to get hold of. xray is a good car, also i find that the tc5 is a great car to race, but i perfer shaft driven cars as there easyier to maintain and less chew on setting up

Matt_N
21-09-2009, 12:09 AM
also i find that the tc5 is a great car to race

I have found the opposite. Yes, when set-up well, they are good, and I do like mine. However, they need setting up alot. I have to make quite a few changes every week just to get the car handling well, yet other racers with cyclones and xrays barely have to fiddle with the set-up. TC5's are also well known for their lack of rear-end grip.

Matt

chickentikka25
21-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I reckon choose whichever model is used most at the local club.

I'm buying my son an Mi3.5 race version for that reason (and they go well too!).

Avoid the TC5, awkward handling will only serve to frustrate (I have a TC5 and can't wait to change it!).

MChandler
21-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Schumacher Mi4:thumbsup:

gaza121
21-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I have raced various cars, Xray t2's,pro 4's TC4, Losi and Cyclone, by far the best of them is the Cyclone, it wont break, its easy to get parts for and is durable and easy to set-up.

I found the turnbuckles on the T2 too weak and the car always seemed far to easy to break!!

Cyclone (morespeed edition) is what I would pick, cheap too for what you get

chris_trcc
21-09-2009, 07:29 PM
i didnt know how bad the tc5 where actually on set up. just people down our club use them and seem to handle the track superb (carpet indoor track), 1 lad using foams and other using rubbers. and seem so smooth to drive

migsy
21-09-2009, 08:29 PM
any-1 know where i can get a write-upon the yokomo BD-5?

cheers.

Garry
21-09-2009, 08:39 PM
any-1 know where i can get a write-upon the yokomo BD-5?

cheers.

Theres not much info around, as CML don't bring them into the UK, and they have a small race team worldwide.

The best source of info and opinions of it is the BD-5 thread on RC Tech.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/278758-new-yokomo-tc-bd-5-a.html

ryan_93
21-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Xray T1 FK05:thumbsup::thumbsup:

migsy
22-09-2009, 12:20 PM
[quote=Garry;289601]

The best source of info and opinions of it is the BD-5 thread on RC Tech.

hi garry. cheers for the link on the bd-5, most appreciated mate. :thumbsup:

emtee
23-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Gotta be XRAY... end of... "velly tuff as old boot" as they say... :thumbsup:

BlackedOutMugen
05-10-2009, 12:37 AM
by far the best of them is the Cyclone, it wont break, its easy to get parts for and is durable and easy to set-up.

:woot::lol: Cyclones tough... Thats funny. Easy to find parts for. Again:bored:, around here parts support blows. It does drive darn nice though, and alot of guys run them. But there to fragile. I sold mine a long time ago.

Schuie has my vote. Love my Mi4. My fav TC I have owned to this date:thumbsup:

Kirby
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Dont go for an MI4 it requires alot of maintance due to parts quality i hear, TC5 can be abit weak.

I would reccomend any Xray, i have been with them for a year now with the T2007 and T2009 and they are very forgiving in a crash, and parts quality is brilliant. I have also never had trouble getting parts supply. The FK05 is a brilliant starter car and would suit you better to get into touring cars.

hope this helped :thumbsup:

BlackedOutMugen
09-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Dont go for an MI4 it requires alot of maintance due to parts quality i hear, TC5 can be abit weak.

You hear very wrong. Schuie parts quality is easily on par with Xray.

The only thing I do to my Mi4 on race days is blow it off and juice up the tires. Only thing I have replaced are diff blades and little parts. But havent broken anything

Matt_N
09-11-2009, 11:55 PM
TC5 can be abit weak.

TC5's aren't weak. Touch wood, I haven't broken a C-Hub/wishbone/steering block for a while now on my TC5, it just tends to fall apart, but thats probably to do with my preparation more than anything else lol

Matt

qatmix
10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
At my club the A final consists of Tamiya / Schumacher / Corally and Associated. The only cars that fails on reliabilty are the schumachers (diff) and the associated.

colmo
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I've just started touring car racing myself, and alas, my Academy isn't going to do - its a grand car, but I'll have to order parts from the USA, which is not ideal when the car is not the major expense.

I think I've found a replacement, but as you are in a similar situation, I thought I'd share my thoughts and findings.

I was also of the opinion to start with a new car - I've learned the hard way that cars of unknown history can have issues you don't see if you're a newb.

The £300+ cars were a bit too rich for my blood, so I looked around at the Tamiya TA-05 (there's now a version 2) and the Team Magic EJ4S (distributed by Comet RC - a really cool design, not much information on it though). Both are plastic (not necessarily a bad thing), mid-range cars, like the Xray T2R. The TA-05, in particular, has a reputation as a tank, but with the weight limit dropping to 1350g at my TC club, may be a bit chubby, even with light lipos.

Both would have spares available from the UK, but only by mail order. The same holds true of the Tamiya TRF tourers.

The advantage of the TC5, Mi4 and Xrays is principally spares availability right there, right then. I'll be going this route, I think, despite me wanting the Team Magic!

qatmix
10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
The team magic cars are really nice, however they are meant to be susceptible to braking easily in a collision.

The TA05 is a great car. We dont have weight limits at my club, and a TA05 has won the A final on several occasions. Its a fast car thats built like a tank. Vince has not had to change any part of his in 18 months of racing.

discostu
10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
to be fair it doesnt matter what tc you buy they are all on par with each other the xray is a safe bet as the kit setup works very well i personly wouldn't get the xray im very partial to the corrally phi but i did win 2 stcc and and a carpet wars with the corrally i also won a wars with an xray and a tc4 but the corrally was by far the easiest but they are not cheapest the mi4 seems to be very good and the 416 also i think the desion needs to be what colour do you want orange blue silver or purple.

stu rand:thumbsup::thumbsup: