PDA

View Full Version : Shell painting?

paulj
09-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Any recomendations for painting buggy bodyshells? I don't want anything too fancy but a bit better than a single can of rattle spray ;)

Oh and an idea of price would be good too thanks :)

bigred5765
10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
take i look in my image gallery of painted shells
prices from £15

ashleyb4
10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Carl is good look at my baby

http://www.hobbytec.co.uk/index.php?ind=gallery&op=foto_show&ida=69

Isnt it nice.

A

Hog
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
What do you guys use to mask with? I've tried everything from brown 3M packing tape to masking tape, and everything inbetween!

I was never that great with an airbrush, but would like to have a crack at my new ZX-5 shell myself. Nothing too fancy - perhaps just some tribal designs over some base colours - but I'm concerned it will look a mess if the tribal masks bleed all over the place.

And yes - I do know about laying the paint on in thin coats.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Col
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Hog - Liquid mask is both the present and the future. Just brush on and cut out your design when dry. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about it.

Paulj - I cannot recomend Telboy from telsshells.com highly enough.
http://telsshells.com/DSCF2718.JPG
This is mine that he did for a bargain price.

AndyM
10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
col, i think your shell looks great, tel is a legend painter. http://www.telsshells.com/

Col
10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Cheers Andy! Like I said, I cannot recomend him highly enough:)

Hog
13-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Okay - bottle of liquid mask arrived today from eBay :) .

Now - probably the hardest decision - what to spray?

Where do you guys get your ideas from? Are there sites dedicated to r/c shell spraying that I can look to for inspiration and tutorials? Got to try and get my shell and wing done before Wednesday. Nothing too fancy - just a little bit individual and more advanced than a 3 colour rattle can "colour merge" job.

Any help is much appreciated! ;)

PS - Yes - I do have an airbrush and I'm not afraid to use it!

clunk
13-04-2007, 12:13 PM
hey hog, you can get inspiration from anywhere,the last couple of times i was given a blank playing field,i got ideas from an estate agents for sale sign over the road,notice board in the pub and an advert in a tv magazine. its just about swapping things around to suit what you want to do and what will suit the contours of your shell.

Sabben
13-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi, and sorry for interrupting your discussion...:) But how do you guys do? Do you cut the body out before or after paintjob?:eh?:

Hog
13-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Clunk - guess it's just me not being very imaginative then :( .

Sabben - I usually cut the shell out before but may try spraying first this time - may just make little markers where the various holes and such have to go first though.

Oh well - off to the shops tomorrow to blow some £ on Pactra paint and thinners.........

Edit - What paint is used on the Blakey Designs site? I'm thinking the fluorescent razberry will help me see my car better lol

clunk
13-04-2007, 02:47 PM
if you get 3/5 different colours of paint lined up in the order you want to spray them,
try just re-arranging the colours around,you may come up with an idea you hadnt thought of b4. you can get inspiration from anywhere. whats outside your window? i got a lawn and driveway ! if i was thinking about that for a shell i'd go flo green into lightgreen at the front(lawn) silver/chrome pinstripe edges(driveway border) into a dark grey/black back end and wing(driveway) and maybe some light yellow streaks and window surrounds(next doors flowers).
ther is no right and wrong about a design,as everyone likes different stuff.
as for cutting it out, i prefer to do that after spraying,you just have something better to hold whilst your spraying.you can always pre-mark or do your mounting holes b4 spraying and cover the holes with tape whilst you spray.
paint wise i use all sorts,faskolor/pactra/tamiya/createx. the razberry is a faskolor one.
anything else i can help with ,please feel free to ask m8.

DCM
13-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I always prefer the shells uncut for spraying, they are far easier to handle and far less chance of getting overspray on the shell. Buggies are easy to cut out too, just follow the lines, with a sharp blade, then snap and cut, bobs your uncle. TC shells, I just mount the shell over the chassis (on mine), pilot holes for the body posts, then spray up.

http://academyracer.fotopic.net/ for any inspirational pictures

Hog
13-04-2007, 03:28 PM
whats outside your window?

A dual carriageway, a big field, and a cemetery. Fun huh? :)

I see what you're getting at though so thanks for that. Got some ideas (based more on tattoos) so going to give that a shot methinks.

I wonder if my local model shop carry Faskolor..............:confused:

Thanks also DCM for the link.

clunk
13-04-2007, 03:41 PM
how about a blood red front end(drips) over a white/grey center section large celtic cross(outlined in green) with a black back end?

Hog
13-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Think I should have bought more liquid mask..............:o

telboy
13-04-2007, 04:35 PM
:confused: how come?

1 bottle should last for ages.what size bottle did you get?

Just going off topic.
Don't know whether I should mention this really. Have any of the painters out there had problems with faskolor rubbing off of the protoform shells? Mainly nitro. I've done loads of shells and its only the proto shells that seem to have a problem. all the other shells i dont have a problem with.

ashleyb4
13-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Oh i had that i had a protoform shell i sprayed it with tamiya spray paint in a can and i run it once and all th epaint fell off it . :mad: But my HPI shell we fine with the same paint.

A

DCM
13-04-2007, 05:23 PM
not so far Tel, all the shells I have done of late, that has been allowed a good few days for the Faskolor to thoroughly dry out, the shells have cracked/splt/dented but the paint has stayed in place.

clunk
13-04-2007, 05:25 PM
hi tel,
i did a proline mugan r/x shell 2weeks ago,and had the faskolor rub off in certain places,did an xray shell 4 same guy,and he's had no problems with that one. scratched my head at the time!!! thought it might have been the detergent i used,but seems ok on other shells,even proto t/c shells !!