PDA

View Full Version : current project, sootys shed b4m

dodgydiy
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
ok, been messing with this one on and off for a couple of months. the usual mid engine 2wd i'm afraid. this one is based on b4 unlike my previous mid engine 2wd which was b3 based (there have been others too!). this car uses a moulded carbon chassis, b4 suspension all round, tc3 and b4 drive parts with a b4 slipper modified to fit, custom homebrew motor mount, b44 outdrives and gearcase and tc3 steering rack to save space. i started out with a front end with lay down shocks which worked well on all counts apart from landings from jumps when it seems the small volume shocks used couldnt really cope. car currently has a modified b4 front bulkhead and shock tower fitted, but as yet this in not properly tested, but being standard its gonna work isnt it. the chassis tub is moulded with 8 layers of carbon matting over most of its area giving around 3mm in thickness and a few more in the area of the front kickup giving about 4mm in this area for extra strength. if you look carefully you can see there is also a 3mm thick moulded carbon brace on the nose, attaching to the chassis under the steering rack, and running to between the lower and upper bulkheads on the front, making the front end nice and strong without any high level bracing. overall the torsional stiffness feels very similar to by plastic chassis b4, maybe just slightly stiffer. battery is located into holes cut into chassis and sits aagainst the alloy mounting posts, it aint gonna move, which is a good thing as its just under 2mm from the slipper, rather tight! car weighed in at 1160g without a body so needed lots of lead, its everywhere! 450 grams at the moment, next time i will build some into the chassis so it cant be seen!

GRIFF55
03-10-2009, 12:21 AM
looking good soot, big improvement over the last viewing:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: