PDA

View Full Version : Weight Balance?

NitroArgi
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Hello all,

I race a B44 in the Greek championship and I have recently changed the motor and electronic setup of my car.

I had the chance to weight all the new components prior to instalation and I found a great difference in weight balance between the motor (Orion Vortex 5.5) and the electronics (Orion Vortex Digital Servo VDS-1007- Orion Vortex 1/10 BL Sensorless Controller 70 amps and Futaba R603FS 2.4Ghz FASST 3-Channel Receiver)

The motor weights 180gr with pinion and the rest of the lot approximately 35gr less!!!

How bad my weight distribution will be??? Will this affect the way the car handles too much?

I am fighting for third in the championship and I would love to hear some tips from you guys....

The batteries I use are Nosram Lipo 4800 40c

Thank you in advance

Regards
Argi

stampede vxlboy
08-10-2009, 08:45 AM
are you using a 5,5 turn motor with orion vortex 70amps esc . i used a 10 turner motor brushless it lasted about 20 mins . try using a better esc or slower motor as you will fry the esc because the 70amps esc cannot handel the power of a 5.5t . with a 5.5 t motor . i bet the esc is redhot after a run. plus put weight on side side of the car and you should be fine

sparrow.2
08-10-2009, 08:46 AM
If you are worried about the difference in weight left to right you can compensate for the weight of the motor with lead weights on the other side of the car.

Only compensate if you have a feeling the car is driving different in corners or is flying over the jumps badly.

Good luck with the championship :thumbsup:

stampede vxlboy
08-10-2009, 09:01 AM
good luck hope you win mate

Big G
08-10-2009, 09:26 AM
also weigh the speedo and receiver and assuming you're running the 2+2 ( motor + something on the 1 side and the servo + something on the other) and not 1+3 (all down 1 side) swap the speedo and receiver round to change the weight distribution a bit.

NitroArgi
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Hello again and thanks for the replies!

The Orion speedo was working around 60o C in every run in my last race which I think is ok

As far as the setup I am using the motor alone on the one side and all the rest on the opposite side (speedo, receiver, amb, servo) so I quess it is 1-3 setup. The car has two 7gr added to the electronics side and handles pretty well. It jumps straight and land really nice.

I have some problems with setting the height left to right but other than that I am happy with the way it handles...after all I finished trird in the 4th race of the season last week!

Should I go with the 2-2 setup???

jcb
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
In my B44 I have the Speedcontroller (Nosram ISTC) 45 grams and Servo (KO2343 I think) 62 grams with 20 grams of lead between the speed controller and servo on one side and the motor 190 grams approx and mini Spektrum receiver 6.5grams on the other.

So as you can see my weight balance isn't actually that good at all at 127grams compared to 196grams, didn't realise it was that far out :bored: However I have never noticed any ill handling effects from it, although I may try adding some weight to the servo nd speed controller side to see if there is any noticable improvement.

kaszal
03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi, what is the best way to balance a car? (I mean left - right balance)

1. Use two digital scales - one under the left wheel, one under the right?

2. Balance it on pivots somehow?

I like the idea of the scales but it seems expensive to get two. For balancing a 1/10 4WD offroad car can anyone recommend a brand of scales? Are there any tutorials online?

Thanks.

mitch 66
05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi, what is the best way to balance a car? (I mean left - right balance)

1. Use two digital scales - one under the left wheel, one under the right?

2. Balance it on pivots somehow?

I like the idea of the scales but it seems expensive to get two. For balancing a 1/10 4WD offroad car can anyone recommend a brand of scales? Are there any tutorials online?

Thanks.
thats how i do all my cars !!i brought a pair of digital scales at tesco £12 each and then you just need the right lengh nail and drill a small dent! [not hole] in the centre of the chassis front and rear! job done

kaszal
06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks! Where does the nail go?

mitch 66
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
in the small dent you drill in the centre of the f/r of the chassis! to act as a pivot!

depending on how high the car is with the front wheels on the scales?

you might need to knock the nail through a square of wood and grind to right lenth!

use a spirit level from front to back to make sure the car is level.

once you get started its easy ! i made mine for 3 cars in half hour!

good luck andy

kaszal
06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks again, will give it a go