PDA

View Full Version : How many S4's were racing at Tivvy?

Chris Doughty
19-04-2007, 02:52 PM
it seems almost every heat I watched seemed to have one in it, I even saw 3 of them in one heat!

if you raced an S4 at Tivvy drop a post in here.

jimmy
19-04-2007, 02:57 PM
I heard the number 10 thrown around a bit - so quoted that in my report. I meant to get a photo of all the cars together and mentioned it to jonathan, but I didn't have the time to get round to it really. Maybe Kiddy!

Wraggy
19-04-2007, 02:59 PM
that will be me posting here then ;)

jimmy
19-04-2007, 03:03 PM
lol, no jonathan mentioned it honest - probably talking to you at the time whilst I was sneakily listening in! :D
Awesome to see it get second at its first National... And did you manage to smooth out your throttle thumb yet mate? :D That thing of yours was rapid.

Southwell
19-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Alec Springer was, not sure if he's on here though.

jimmy
19-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Lets see,

Thumbs Harris,
Doughty,
Mr.Atomic,
Wraggy,
Dave Church,
John Spencer,
Springer,
Darners,

I think those are all right, any more tho?

p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread Chris! :)

Wraggy
19-04-2007, 03:10 PM
lol, no jonathan mentioned it honest - probably talking to you at the time whilst I was sneakily listening in! :D
Awesome to see it get second at its first National... And did you manage to smooth out your throttle thumb yet mate? :D That thing of yours was rapid.
yeah kind of managed a little less thumb in the final ;) , still felt slow to me but others said it was quick enough ...
(wraggy by name wraggy by nature) thats me :D .

mark morris & also mark taylor (i think) drove S4's

_sleigh_
19-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Jonathan Brown

losixxx
19-04-2007, 03:22 PM
mark morris

Wraggy
19-04-2007, 03:27 PM
mark morris & also mark taylor (i think) drove S4's

ahem ...

losixxx
19-04-2007, 03:29 PM
i will get my coat:(

jcb
19-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Jonathan Brown

Thanks.

PaulRotheram
19-04-2007, 05:02 PM
andy newbound

OldTimer
19-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Thumbs Harris,
Doughty,
Mr.Atomic,
Wraggy,
Dave Church,
John Spencer,
Springer,
Darners,
Mark Morris
Jonathan Brown
Mark Taylor
Andy Newbound

My guess of 10 was a tad out, but there was a very good showing and as i did my rounds chatting to all the owners, they all seemed very happy with there S4's ;).

Chris Doughty
19-04-2007, 06:17 PM
wow, thats great for a car thats not out yet :p

tyreman
19-04-2007, 06:29 PM
wow, thats great for a car thats not out yet :p

Oi sort your site out.;)

OldTimer
19-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I guess you could say they are all pre-production cars, hopefully the final car will be ready early-mid may. Just need to get the shell finalised :D Mr Doughty.

Chris Doughty
19-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Oi sort your site out.;)

I am starting to get a bit more time back, hopefully I will get on it again soon.

OldTimer
19-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Opps forgot another one -

Thumbs Harris,
Doughty,
Mr.Atomic,
Wraggy,
Dave Church,
John Spencer,
Springer,
Darners,
Mark Morris
Jonathan Brown
Mark Taylor
Andy Newbound
Simon Overall

spenner
19-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Chris,

After your first national with the S4 how would you say it compared to your last ride ie. benefits, handling etc......

Me and Alec have ran our cars into the ground really over the winter and we are both very happy with them. Results have improved by quite a bit.
I find the car very easy to drive without the need to push, the car makes you feel slow and want to push more as is the ease of it's handling etc...
Im interested to know your honest thoughts and are you looking at any improvements ????

Cheers

John Spencer

Chris Doughty
19-04-2007, 07:56 PM
its early to say as I have not been to 'all' the tracks I have been to with the xxx4 and xx4.

it was way sharper than than the xx4 at tivvy, bumps were not even a consideration at tivvy though the track was pretty smooth this year.

turn in and general steering response is sharper with the S4 than any other 4WD I have used, its got such a nice 'snap' when you get on the power, it leaps out of the corners.

at Kiddy it seemed to carry more corner speed, change direction quicker, more on-power steering and more out of corner snap than previous 4WD cars I used. no differance that I could tell over the bumpier sections to the xx4

like you said, its a car that naturally makes quick laptimes, you don't need to 'push' it to generate them, much in the same way that I have found the AE B4 is.

looking for improvements is quite hard coming off the back of a good result, who knows how the season will pan out, we might need some tweaks, we might not. can't complain with it so far.

spenner
19-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Cheers Chris,

How about once you got your great site going again you could do those great reports after each national!!
If not then put them on Atomic Carbons web site.

Chris Doughty
19-04-2007, 08:36 PM
sounds good to me, could have a 'combined' race diary of all S4 drivers

andy05
19-04-2007, 09:54 PM
As Paul Rotheram said andy Newbound.
The car felt good i have never raced at tivy before(besides sat 2wd).Round 3 i managed to get a 4th in the F could of been better.I was quiet clam until brian said andy newbounds going top of the F this round. I put it straight on its roof on that kick jump.Not bad for a F5 though still picked up the top F5 pot not many F5s there i know but not for me:)

Body Paint
20-04-2007, 11:32 PM
You forgot Andy Shilto (I think thats how you spell it) NE driver, white car with light blue stripe.

I have done a lot of running with mine over the winter and agree with what CD says. The car seems to have the bump handling and jumpability of a XX4 but has sharper steering and throttle response.

I have to admit at first I found the steering too much and tried to dial out grip but now I've got used to how the car feels I'm dialling the grip back into the car. If you can relax enough with the car it just seems to tear the track up.

Northy
21-04-2007, 06:39 AM
If you can relax enough with the car it just seems to tear the track up.

Craig, I know another car like that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

G

OldTimer
21-04-2007, 08:24 AM
You forgot Andy Shilto (I think thats how you spell it) NE driver, white car with light blue stripe.

Think that was Andy Newbound's car, i don't think Mr Shilto was racing.

andys
21-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Wasn't me (Andy Shillito)
I'll be running my S4 at all the NE Regionals, but Nationals are a bridge too far for me !

strobe
21-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Really pleased with my S4. Well worth the money.
Results have improved since changing from the XX4.
Car is fast enough at the moment and the handling is getting better each time i race it.
Trying a few things different each time i race to see how the handling of car changes.
Getting great advice from Jonathan and Craig Harris. Not only with set-ups but with driving tips.
Can't wait for Oswestry and then Kiddy.

OldTimer
21-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Mark, have you goto the bottom of your speedo problems ? glad you are liking the S4 ;) seems like everyone gets a little faster every meeting they use them.

strobe
21-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Jonathan.
I Think the Sensor wire does not like being cable tied to anything. Left it loosly in car and it seems ok. Ran ok for 3 heats and a final last weekend. Had it cable tied for 1st heat and ran for 3 mins ok then stopped suddenly. soon as i removed cable tie it has worked ok since.
Have mounted a fan above ESC via a piece of carbon fibre to keep speedo cool.

OldTimer
21-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I have got some fan mounts coming next week for either the motor or over the speedo, give me a shout if you need one ;)

http://www.gforceimages.net/ebay/IMG_1865%20%28Medium%29.JPG (http://www.gforceimages.net/ebay/IMG_1865%20%28Medium%29.JPG)

http://www.gforceimages.net/ebay/IMG_1866%20%28Medium%29.JPG

strobe
21-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Jonathan.
Will you be at marston tomorrow.

ShiftF9er
21-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Jonathan
You have a top plate at the front. Is this new? Why? I don't have one on my car and can't see one on any pictures of the other S4's.

Simon O.

jcb
21-04-2007, 05:44 PM
The top plate would allow you to tune chassis flex.

OldTimer
21-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Jonathan
You have a top plate at the front. Is this new? Why? I don't have one on my car and can't see one on any pictures of the other S4's.

Simon O.

I am running a thinner chassis so the the longer top deck is to reduce any chance of chassis flex, i have some of these longer top decks spare if you want one, but i think you would only run it on a ultra high grip track or on a very grippy indoors surface. But you could use it as a tunning option if you removed the front stand off posts.

@ Mark, not at marston tomorrow :(

Body Paint
21-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I guess I'm getting my Andy's muddled :wtf:

Wasn't me (Andy Shillito)
I'll be running my S4 at all the NE Regionals, but Nationals are a bridge too far for me !