PDA

View Full Version : Lens Suggestion

ApexSpeed
11-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Jimmy,

I have been shooting SLR film since I was a kid, and finally decided to buy a dSLR. I bought a Nikon D70s that should be here by the end of the week.

Given the choice, what zoom/tele lens would you recommend that doesn't cost more than the camera. I'm not quite ready to sell the wife on the idea of a $1800 lens. I've been trying to find a discontinued 70-210 f4-5.6 but they seem to be highly valued and the prices are higher than I would have thought.

Any suggestions for shooting race action?

doug

jimmy
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
not sure how much they are but i borrowed a couple of lenses in 2004, one was a 300 2.8 (sillly big thing) and the other was a 28-200 nikon, no idea what actual lens it was, it wasnt anything fancy, but it had a great range from wide angle to a good zoom and had nice warm colours too.
I have a 70-200 which is nice, but i miss the range that the 28-200 had, it was a lot easier to use being able to get photos at all ranges
I think i will get something like that again one day.

ApexSpeed
11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jimmy, that Nikkor 28-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 seems to have a pretty good following and at a reasonable price, too. I might just have to look at that as my first tele lens. Thanks for the tip!

I look forward to posting some photos I take throughout this season with the new camera. I can't wait. Your galleries have been somewhat of a new inspiration to me in firing up my love for photography again.

Thanks,

doug

ApexSpeed
31-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm still torn right now. I have the highly rated 18-70 AFS DX lens that I got with the camera, and I have been seeking out the 70-210 AF-D to compliment it, but the newest lens from Nikon has been causing EVERYONE seemingly to sell those other lenses to buy the single 18-200 VR that is listing for $700 but selling for a lot more by anyone who has them because they have been so highly regarded.

Right now, the market value of the $400 18-70 has been almost cut in half, and the 70-210 is selling for about $325, so for the essential cost of both, I could buy the 18-200 and carry only one lens to do everything (which is why everyone is paying through the nose to get this thing). Then again, I probably couldn't get $200 for the new 18-70 right now, so I'm kinda stuck. I'm hoping the prices on the 70-210 come down to make the decision easier. Maybe I'll pick up the 18-200 in about 6 months when everyone has one already.

Donno why I just rambled about that. Maybe it's because my wife thinks I'm a loon when I start babbling about things that she couldn't care less about. :)

BTW, the D70s is AWESOME! I love it so far. Can't wait to get outside with a longer lens.

doug