PDA

View Full Version : Space for a new class in 2010?

bedsrcmcc
21-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I was just wondering, having seen the response from some on Monday when Mas turned up with his F1 car - although we are not running buggies indoors and focussed on Touring cars, I was just wondering what the up take would be on running another class along side our 1:10 touring cars...

The options I was thinking were:

F1 cars, 1:12 scale, 1:10 Pan Cars or even bikes!

By the new year we will have, we hope, the new I-Lap system up and running so we can run more than 5 in a heat, so we could have maybe 1 heat of 'alternative class' and 3 heats of touring cars, in fact we could even get 5 heats if we started on time, so maybe 2 heats of one class and 3 of another, just a thought.

This is nothing confirmed at all, so don't panic we are still very much Touring Cars, but just thought it would be interesting.

At clubs I've run in the past we have often run 1:12 along side rounds of 1:10 scale (not together of course). The beauty of 1:12 is we can get large grids without feeling over crowded.

Will be interesting to see what others think :thumbsup:

ek9russ
22-10-2009, 08:57 AM
RC caravan banger racing each week! :p

Mardaves could be a cheap class to look into….

bedsrcmcc
22-10-2009, 09:40 AM
RC caravan banger racing each week! :p

Mardaves could be a cheap class to look into….

I thought we did banger racing each week anyway :cry:

The idea of another class was not really to do with low cost, it was simply to add another dimension to the club and offer an alternative to Touring Cars if someone was not interested in running them.

1:12th scale would be good if we limited motors/tyres and cells...

associatedtc3
23-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I think we should look at Russ's idea of Mardave racing because i believe cost is an issue especially if you are running a touring car a buggy and another indoor car. Running all three classes with top of the range gear comes very expensive. Mardave racing is cheap and cheerful and if we limit it to a standard 540 motor and basic esc [chuck out the mechanical mardave one ,they are crap.] only driving skill would seperate us. I used to race a mardave at a club in Torbay and we had the most closest racing i've ever had [except for F1's that i raced at another club,but the expense on these can be a lot higher unless you can get a second hand one.].
You would need to fit a diff to the mardave otherwise they are practically undriveable.
The only thing that concerns me about rear wheel drive only cars is the level of grip at Bromham. I dont know which tyres would be best [probably mini pins] but i dont know if you can get them in 1:12 scale.Could look at Tamiya front wheel drive mini class. They were good[and cheap] on this type of surface. Cheers Andy

bedsrcmcc
23-10-2009, 01:32 PM
If you want to go Mardave how about these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYD0rNOeFc

However, if we did go down say the route of 1:12 scale, there is nothing stopping us as a club devising a rule that states exactly what you are allowed to run for tyres, speedo, motor and cells. Only the car and radio is optional if you really want to keep prices down.

I think you have a valid point on grip levels - that will be key in what ever choice was to be made...

associatedtc3
23-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I saw the side cars on Mardaves website.They look fun and cheap. They would be a different angle to what we're all used to. I bet none of us have raced them before

hashiriya
23-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I'll bring back the F104 next tim I'm there with the foams on to see if there is any kind of grip with them. If there is no grip with foams (without additive) the idea of 12th or any rear wheel drive class might be impossible.

I would like to see more F1's in the area though and with the 3 racing F109 at around £100 it's not as expensive as you may think (my F104 cost around £150 from ebay)

It's worth considering over the winter though. Maybe by having an "open" heat for the first few weeks and let people just run whatever they have, we'll see what grabs the interest of others and see which type of car attracts most members or potential new racers?

bedsrcmcc
23-10-2009, 02:17 PM
How about 1:18th scale?

Tim's Subaru club car that we let the lady from the local magazine try out seemed OK, with smaller car and less power we might be able to have fun with these - they are 4WD too, so grip could be OK with soft tyres on...

There are plenty of 1:18 on-road cars to choose from, we could just have a control tyre, motor and cells maybe?

Do they do brushless and LiPo for 1:18 scale cars?

I think it could also be a great way in for beginners...

hashiriya
23-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm not too aware of 1/18th scale. I've heard of 1/14th like the charisma or recoil but not the 18th?

do you think the Mini Z is a little too small?

bedsrcmcc
23-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm not too aware of 1/18th scale. I've heard of 1/14th like the charisma or recoil but not the 18th?

do you think the Mini Z is a little too small?

The Mini Z are 1:36 I think. Tim has a 1:18 scale Subaru. Once we have the I-Lap system running, we could easily see heats of 12 cars with 1:18 - now that would be fun :)

hashiriya
23-10-2009, 03:08 PM
The Mini Z are 1:36 I think. Tim has a 1:18 scale Subaru. Once we have the I-Lap system running, we could easily see heats of 12 cars with 1:18 - now that would be fun :)

Does sound interesting.

Speaking of I-Laps. Where can I find info on how to get a transponder?

bedsrcmcc
23-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Does sound interesting.

Speaking of I-Laps. Where can I find info on how to get a transponder?

The club is going to be ordering a batch of transponders along with the I-Lap system very shortly. We are selling the transponders at £35 and you can speak with Russell as he's taking the money. So either pass him some money at work or when your next at the club.

There at least 12 members who've now given us the money and once we have all current members money we'll proceed with ordering them all in one go from the US. The club will be ordering more transponders than needed so that we have stock for guest drivers to use and also for new members who join up to purchase their own. £35 is a lot cheaper than then £70-90 for the AMB transponders ;)

HPI Paul
23-10-2009, 08:37 PM
How about 1:18th scale?

Tim's Subaru club car that we let the lady from the local magazine try out seemed OK, with smaller car and less power we might be able to have fun with these - they are 4WD too, so grip could be OK with soft tyres on...

There are plenty of 1:18 on-road cars to choose from, we could just have a control tyre, motor and cells maybe?

Do they do brushless and LiPo for 1:18 scale cars?

I think it could also be a great way in for beginners...

I saw the 18th scale racing for the first time this week, they are wicked little things :woot: and yes they run brushless and i think the single cell Lipo's. They are the smaller brushless motors and the brushless combo's for them look good value too :thumbsup:. Chris Hampson has one, will have to get him to try out at Bromham.

hashiriya
26-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Having thought about it a bit more, I think one of the best classes to introduce is the mini class. FWD things which are really quite cheap with even the top level kits with all modifications (most series run very restricted rules on modifications) included for about £150 and basic kits being almost half that price.

The Tamiya M03 and M05 seem like a good size for the track at Bromham too.

learnerdriver
26-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Hopefully should be racing tonight, now i have had a little rest, lol

will bring an 18th micro and tamiya m-03 mini to try on the track, not sure if i have enough radio gear to bring the recoil as well :thumbsup:

captain slow

bedsrcmcc
26-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Although the Tamiya Mini's look like fun, I wonder if the 1:18 would offer more choice for racers to choose from. There is little difference between the two classes.

Also, if we were to introduce another class such as the 1:18 scale whether we had a 'Club Cup' and 'Pro Cup' whereby the Pro Cup was less restricted in terms of what you could run, while the former was more aimed at those on a budget or beginners...?

The idea of another class to run indoors was not necessarly just about cheaper racing, it was also about broading our appeal to new members and existing racers who fancied trying something else indoors...

Lots to discuss between now and the clubs AGM which I need to start thinking about...

Never ending this club thing :woot:

bedsrcmcc
27-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Having watched Chris' 1:18 buggy running around with our cars in one of the heats tonight, I think that 1:18 scale as a Club Cup/Pro Cup seems to be very interesting indeed...

You can get 1:18 scale RTR buggies/trucks for under £150 - in fact the Losi trucks are under £100, result :thumbsup: which really is a great entry level setup, plus new members and those who decide to run these cars who are existing members will also be able to run them outdoors on the off-road track once its built.

It kills two birds with one stone. Allows a cheaper entry option to our hobby and also allows them to be used inside and outside so does not prevent new people from running their cars at all our outdoor race meetings in 2010.

I would propose that we have two classes:

Class 1: Club Cup are for 1:18 scale RTR buggies/trucks with no mods at all - ideal for beginners and those who want some fun on a budget.

Class 2: Pro Cup would be any 1:18 scale kits on the market and we would only then introduce a limit on the motor and that's all. LiPo and Brushless would fall into the Pro Cup - unless of course there are any RTR 1:18 buggies/trucks that use LiPo and Brushless?

What do you all think?

For racing indoors, we could get some speed humps made up to make the track more intersting, simply move them away for the Touring Cars.