PDA

View Full Version : Micro 1/18th class

learnerdriver
11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Duratrax are due to release a 1/18th version Short course truck both RTR and kit versions. This would be ideal for indoor and outdoor racing

http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd17-vendetta-sc/index.html

dont order anything russ until you have checked out this link :thumbsup:

bedsrcmcc
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Chris, what about this:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/products/proddesc.php?prod_id=2384&kategoria=0&catName=XRAYM18TRTR

You know me, I like my Xray's :thumbsup:

Not badly priced either for approx £150 RTR :D

Personally if I went down this route I'd swap out the radio kit with my Futaba 2.4GHz as I can run several settings on the one handset. Already got a new 2.4GHz receiver which was going to be put into the Durango next year, but might just use it for the 1:18th now...

I think there are some really great cars on the market for this new class of racing for the club and could be great for new drivers and existing drivers who are maybe wanting to run two classes a night, but cheaper than the TC's.

ek9russ
12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Duratrax are due to release a 1/18th version Short course truck both RTR and kit versions. This would be ideal for indoor and outdoor racing

http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd17-vendetta-sc/index.html

dont order anything russ until you have checked out this link :thumbsup:

Now that is cool! :drool: (runs off to phone CML.....)

c0sie
12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
CML wont be bringing these into the UK.

bedsrcmcc
14-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I've put my order in for the Xray 1:18 scale truck :)

Can't wait to blast that around the track with your's Chris and Mike's also bought a 1:18th too :)

Chris, I'm going to run Brushless/LiPo in my 1:18th but I need some advice...

I see that Losi do a series of Brushless/Motor combo sets for 1:18th, and while I understand the 13.5 style rating for 1:10th, these 1:18th ones are listed as 6000KV, 7400, 8200 and 9400KV. Which one would be rated as a stock or are they all stock motors with different levels of torque? Would I need to match up the Lipo to the rating of which ever motor I ran?

Thanks in advance.

superx
14-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi,

Russ was telling me last sunday that you might be running the 18th buggies. I`ll pop along with mine when you do :woot::woot:

Novak Mongoose turn/KV ratings:

8.5 turn - 9000Kv
10.5 turn - 7300 Kv
13.5 turn - 6000 Kv

Cheers

Jaco

bedsrcmcc
14-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi,

Russ was telling me last sunday that you might be running the 18th buggies. I`ll pop along with mine when you do :woot::woot:

Novak Mongoose turn/KV ratings:

8.5 turn - 9000Kv
10.5 turn - 7300 Kv
13.5 turn - 6000 Kv

Cheers

Jaco

Evening Jaco

Thanks for the details. If these figures are correct I guess it would be best to run 6000 or lower to keep to a stock level of power. What brushless do you run in yours?

BTW, I think the club will probably introduce the 1:18th scale class in the New Year so we would be very happy to welcome you along to the club.

There are now 3 existing club members who will be running the smaller scale, so a fourth driver will validate running it's own class. I'm sure more will follow once the word gets out. One of our club members is offering his services to build some jumps which we can put in place during the 1:18 heats, that can also be removed quickly for the Touring Cars so at least we'll have an interesting and fun track for the small buggies/trucks. What chassis do you run?

superx
15-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info Scott. I`ll keep my eye on your forum and if you do start racing the 1/18th in the new year , you can count me in.

I`ve got the LRP shark 18. I`ve just started racing in the Micro nationals series. Loads of fun , very well run meetings and superb tracks ... I`ve become a total addict and highly recommend them to anyone who fancies having a go :drool::drool:

I`ve got both the 13.5 and 10.5 mongoose brushless. The 10.5 is by far the most popular system used at the nationals , I`ve only used the 10.5 a few times and its .... quick :woot: ( Probably to quick for my current driving ability !! )

Cheers

Jaco

mikepro4
15-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Dear All
As Scott said have picked up a 1:18 buggy its a FTx blaze , should be with me by next week, i have all the radio side in hand but need some advice to what to put into it.
being that im far off the pace in the touring car i personal think that if you are intending running a stock class then this is the one for me, i can crash just as well at slow speeds!
what do you think would be the bests set up? and would a stock class use the motor that came with the buggy?
i do not run lipo's in the touring car so have no real exp with them so if i were to use Nimh what should i be running?
As the blaze is as it come out of the box is there any changes you would suggest before i get started with her.
regards
mike

bedsrcmcc
15-11-2009, 11:32 PM
There maybe no 'stock class' at national meetings, but our club WILL be introducing a stock class. There is no point in promoting a cheap entry class to RC cars with RTR models for under £150 if you then have people spending that again on motors and ESC :eh?:

The club will run a stock and pro class at our club. The rules will be simple and we are sure plenty of new drivers/members will come along and race. It's all about keeping costs low and the fun element high.

Even the pro class will have limitations on motors to prevent costs spiralling out of control.

bedsrcmcc
28-11-2009, 09:45 AM
So good to see so many of you at the club taking an interest in racing the 1:18th scale cars. Andy's and Jason's new cars were a blast last night and for only £70 all in RTR what a bargain. Andy was only a couple of laps off the Touring Car boys :)

I think this is going to be great fun in the New Year.

Interesting that Andy's car was running a little 'tin can' motor and yet was fast. I would suggest that these are used in the stock class, while those who want something a little hotter and brushless will fall into the pro class.

We also had a lot of interest from potential new members last night and many of them were looking with keen interest at the £70 1:18 cars so I think it will be a straight forward vote for the introduction of them next Year at our club.

Proof if ever there was any that you don't need to spend a fortune to have so much fun :thumbsup:

Better still, club member Mike will be building some jumps, bumps and maybe even a little table top obstacle for us to use next year.

All I say is, bring it on :woot:

bedsrcmcc
05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Well done to you all who raced in our first ever 1:18 scale buggy/truck race last night. It was great fun to see the cars flying around our track. Well done also to Andy for winning the final with his little £70 Maverick :thumbsup:

Looks like we'll be having more fund with these in the New Year, roll on 2010...

Results of last nights racing will be published online at our web site very soon.

Ross
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
You may have two new members to race in this class, i've just been speaking to mate and he's interested in it. So it looks like we could be joining :cool:

Ross
12-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Would we be aloud to race the RC18R
http://www.rc10.com/ae/18r/18r_home.htm

Cheers Ross

Edit,sorry forgot there's jumps :)

bedsrcmcc
14-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Would we be aloud to race the RC18R
http://www.rc10.com/ae/18r/18r_home.htm

Cheers Ross

Edit,sorry forgot there's jumps :)

Sorry about that Ross. Your right that we are running just the buggies/trucks in 1:18th scale as we are going to be having jumps and ramps for them to negociate.

Ross
26-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Even the pro class will have limitations on motors to prevent costs spiralling out of control.

Hi Scott

What limit are you having on the brushless systems. I will be running bushed for the time being, but i may have a brushless system on offer to me for a good price that i will be fitting at a later stage.

Cheers Ross

bedsrcmcc
26-12-2009, 09:36 AM
At the moment we have no real firm rules and are going to watch to see how this group develops at our club.

For what its worth, one of our regular members brought his new car along to a meeting recently and I thought he had a fast motor as his car was flying past everyone, turned out to only havea standard tin can motor :woot:

I think a hot motor will become uncontrolable on our polished surface...

Ross
26-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I think a hot motor will become uncontrollable on our polished surface...

That's the reason i've put a brushed motor in it at the moment :lol:.

bedsrcmcc
26-12-2009, 03:12 PM
That's the reason i've put a brushed motor in it at the moment :lol:.

Well we look forward to welcoming you to the club, take a look at our 2010 race schedule here:

http://www.bedsrcmcc.co.uk/racing-schedule2010.php

We will be running the new I-LapRC lap counting system that uses Personal Transponders, the club will be selling them at £35 or you can hire them per race meeting for just £2.

Hope to see you in the New Year, regards :thumbsup:

I'll be getting my new Xray 1:18 this week :thumbsup: :thumbsup: so I can join in the small scale fun too...

Ross
26-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm looking forward to it, me a friend are looking to join and start racing the 1/18, hopefully we should be at the 1st race :thumbsup:.

Can we get the control tyres and transponders on the night .

bedsrcmcc
27-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm looking forward to it, me a friend are looking to join and start racing the 1/18, hopefully we should be at the 1st race :thumbsup:.

Can we get the control tyres and transponders on the night .

You can buy the transponders on the night, you'll need to make sure you have a spare slot in your receiver, if not you'll need a Y cable to power up the PT.

As to control tyres, some run the standard smaller tyres on their 1:18th cars without any problem. Others have converted to run 1:10 rims and then they can run with the control tyres. We normally have some available on the night, you can speak to Russell our club treasurer who also runs the local model shop Future World Models: www.futureworldmodels.co.uk (http://www.futureworldmodels.co.uk)

Regards.

Ross
27-12-2009, 09:40 PM
You can buy the transponders on the night, you'll need to make sure you have a spare slot in your receiver, if not you'll need a Y cable to power up the PT.

As to control tyres, some run the standard smaller tyres on their 1:18th cars without any problem. Others have converted to run 1:10 rims and then they can run with the control tyres. We normally have some available on the night, you can speak to Russell our club treasurer who also runs the local model shop Future World Models: www.futureworldmodels.co.uk (http://www.futureworldmodels.co.uk)

Regards.

I've got spare slot on the Rx so that's cool.When you say convert to 1/10 rims does that mean they need different hex's or just that bigger wheels and tyres are fitted.

bedsrcmcc
28-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I think it's best to come along and see what people are running. Some have the standard, slightly smaller rims/tryes fitted, which work fine. Others have opted to go for 1:10 touring car rims and I guess it would be best to see how they do it...

Might I also suggest that you if you are thinking of coming along to our first meeting on Friday 8 Jan 2010, that you book in your details in advance via our web site to make things easier for us on the night, thanks.

http://www.bedsrcmcc.co.uk/race-booking.php

Regards

bedsrcmcc
30-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Got my Xray 1:18 all built up today, but having to wait for a Losi Brushless ESC / Motor before I can go racing so will probably miss the first championship which starts in Jan 2010, but will still race it as soon as it's up and running.

We have yet another member and 1:18 racer joining us as my son got the Maverick Atom RTR Truck from Santa :)

Beanie
31-12-2009, 01:38 PM
We have yet another member and 1:18 racer joining us as my son got the Maverick Atom RTR Truck from Santa :)

Big up the Atoms! Had one for about a year with a mate and was stunned just how nippy they are straight out of the box. The front shocks didn't last long as they leak but otherwise we've been racing them with either the standard wheels/tyres on carpet or using 1/10 adaptors and then skinny Schumacher yellow mini pins on the shiny floor with some success....hilarious fun and great for when the weather outside is dark and cold! :thumbsup:

sldmodels
31-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I've ran a stock and brushless motors at the micro nationals, and while I've not gotten good results, it wasn't for the lack of speed with my brushed motor, in fact, I downgraded to the kit brushed motor for some nationals, as it was less about speed, and more about control, but if you do this, make sure to use a motor heatsink / fan as they can get very hot.

bedsrcmcc
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I've ran a stock and brushless motors at the micro nationals, and while I've not gotten good results, it wasn't for the lack of speed with my brushed motor, in fact, I downgraded to the kit brushed motor for some nationals, as it was less about speed, and more about control, but if you do this, make sure to use a motor heatsink / fan as they can get very hot.

Yep, got a heatsink on order for the motor and will probably fit a fan too. I have 2 fans on the Xray 1:10 and it's amazing how such a little thing keeps the ESC and motor nice and cool after a 5 min run :thumbsup:

bedsrcmcc
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Andy

Quick question...

What charger do you use to charge the standard battery pack that comes with the Maverick. I know the kit comes with a slow mains charger but I'll need a quick charger so that I can charge them on a Friday race meeting, regards.

associatedtc3
02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Scott
I use an old ripmax pro peak that i've had for years. Just chopped the end off the slow charger and attached it to the fast charger. Russell does a cheap peak charger for about £16 if you havent got anything kicking about from past years. I made one battery last all night charging between heats. Have you sorted the wheel hex's out yet so you can run touring car wheels.
Cheers Andy

Ross
05-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Quick question,or 2 :D.

Would we allow 1/16th to run in with the 1/18th and still be aloud to count for points.

And are we having the jumps back,if not can we run a 1/18th TC :thumbsup:

Ross

bedsrcmcc
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Quick question,or 2 :D.

Would we allow 1/16th to run in with the 1/18th and still be aloud to count for points.

And are we having the jumps back,if not can we run a 1/18th TC :thumbsup:

Ross

Re first point: what ever happens in terms of classes, we'll always allow all cars to race with each other, but points would probably be split into different classes. For now we are running as before...

Re the jumps, I want to put them back in this week :thumbsup: We try and sort them out before the start of the next championships too so they can be used throughout, after all, that's why we wanted to run them :D