PDA

View Full Version : One for the Dremel lads :(

Rich D
12-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Guys

I got myself a Lithium Ion cordelss Dremel.

http://www.myhobbystore.com/ProductImages/fullsize/f0131100jl.jpg

Id estimate it was about 12 to 18 months ago now. Its been used maybe on 6 occasions. The rest of the time it sits on its holder/charger in my workshop. Anyway, it would appear that the battery is duff. When i tried to use it this evening, it turns on but switches itself off, on its auto low voltage cut off. The handle is warm indicating that the charger is "working" - but as i say, the motor stalls as soon as you try to use it under load.

Any ideas as to why and where i can find a new battery? Im a little miffed as i said cos its essentially unused and looks new :(

Thanks for help in anticipation fellas

Rich

jono83
12-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Guys

I got myself a Lithium Ion cordelss Dremel.

http://www.myhobbystore.com/ProductImages/fullsize/f0131100jl.jpg

Id estimate it was about 12 to 18 months ago now. Its been used maybe on 6 occasions. The rest of the time it sits on its holder/charger in my workshop. Anyway, it would appear that the battery is duff. When i tried to use it this evening, it turns on but switches itself off, on its auto low voltage cut off. The handle is warm indicating that the charger is "working" - but as i say, the motor stalls as soon as you try to use it under load.

Any ideas as to why and where i can find a new battery? Im a little miffed as i said cos its essentially unused and looks new :(

Thanks for help in anticipation fellas

Rich

Rich I had one do the same about 4-6 weeks ago I had owned it for about 12 months I took mine back to the shop where I bought it and they exchanged for a brand new one and I didn't even have proof of purchase.

Col
12-11-2009, 10:31 AM
So it's essentily been on charge for 18 months??

Rich D
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
So it's essentily been on charge for 18 months??

Essentially its been on its holder for 12 to 18 months yes Col. Its a charger/holder that cuts off when its charged. Theres no mention of not leaving it on its stand for prolonged periods. That`s what its for.

Jono - Cheers ;)

Col
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Its a charger/holder that cuts off when its charged.

Then that's not the source of the problem! As I know nothing about dremel's I'll get me coat...

Rich D
12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
:)

Its ok pal, i can be daft but im not that daft :)

Need to source a new battery or if i can find the reciept, take it back. It might not even be 12 months tbh.

Cheers

bodgit
12-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Someone posted this site a while back it may be of help. Apparently due to the EU or something you have 24mths warrenty
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/eu-directive-sale-of-goods/
so if you know that model has been on sale less than 2 years you may be ok without a reciept

Rich D
12-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Wow thanks for the info guys ! Much appreciated. I`ll see if i can dig out a receipt anyway. Im a bit loathed to buy a new battery unless i need to as no doubt it will only last 12 months again next time :( I wouldnt mind if i had hammered it but ive only used it on about 8 bodyshell wheelarches :lol:

mark christopher
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
rich sent u a pm with my number, ill contact my contact and ask the question, pretty sure we can sort it out for you
are you at the masters? there is a new demel driver up for grabs!!

spare parts
https://etli.bosch-pt.com/(jkek0g55eliokw55biuvtsuw)/index.aspx?ID_GROUP_COUNTRY=100

mark christopher
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
just phoned me back from an airport on his way to jersey

right you have a 24 month warranty
phone 0844 7360107
or contact
http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/meta/contact.html

they should then arange somone to collect it from you and then repair/replace it/return it

any problems let me know

dodgydiy
12-11-2009, 08:16 PM
if you have it, use it!! batteries of all types hate being left on charge and un used, leave your nimh unused and they lose their output and capacity, leave your lithium cells and they lose their balance and output current too. fortunately both wake up with a few cycles as long as they havent been left too long. as for constant charging, its really called frying them to death

mark christopher
12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
if you have it, use it!! batteries of all types hate being left on charge and un used, leave your nimh unused and they lose their output and capacity, leave your lithium cells and they lose their balance and output current too. fortunately both wake up with a few cycles as long as they havent been left too long. as for constant charging, its really called frying them to death

please read richards post and page ten of the manual,

specifically the bit about "charging the tool" where it says the charger will switch off and its ok to leave the tool in the stand/charger and the bit "important charging notes" where dremel say it will hold its charge for up to two years!!
Dremel back up service and warranty is top notch and they stand by thier claims

http://www.dremeleurope.com/media_all/download/manual_dremel_stylus_CN.pdf

Col
12-11-2009, 08:54 PM
they should then arange somone to collect it from you and then repair/replace it/return it

That is impressive customer service!

mark christopher
12-11-2009, 09:02 PM
That is impressive customer service!

i had a soldering iron break, my fault i dropped it! they did collect, foc and replace, i was lucky to get it back as i had it collected/sent to work and my manager got it first! he thought he had won a freeby lol

Rich D
12-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Mark - sincere thanks for your help on this one. I`ll give that number a call tomorrow

Rich :)

Rich D
19-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I just wanted to put a public post to express my appreciation to Dremel and to Mark Christopher for the contact details.

I sent the unit off along with the charger with a covering letter explaining that i couldnt find the receipt. It was obvious that the unit hadnt been used much but without a receipt i wasnt optimistic. Anyway, to my delight, a complete new sealed Dremel Stylus with charger arrived today with fittings, all free of charge. Thanks again :) :thumbsup:

mark christopher
19-11-2009, 06:42 PM
pleased your sorted mate
:thumbsup:

SlowOne
19-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a problem, too...

Although I used to have a 'driving skill' it hasn't been used much, and now it doesn't seem to work as well as it did. Can't remember where I bought it, nor do I have a receipt. Do you have a contact, Mark, that could collect it, and get me a new one? :D :D