PDA

View Full Version : Yokomo BD Help

JJC
13-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok, when running a spool the CVD drive pin in the standard (Granger Edition) front driveshafts seems to break very easily - the slightest glance of a barrier or coming together and it seems to break everytime.

Now I have dried the 'drill bit' fix (two different brands of drill bit too), but these seem even weaker than the standard pins.

I have got some TiR CVD's to go in, but these also have a very skinny drive pin so don't reckon much on there chances (also quality is very poor with one shaft ok and one with 1mm of play between axle and dogbone straight out of the packet!).

I'm currently running the Yokomo Hardened Steel UJ's and these hold up pretty well, but the drive pins are only a push fit and seem to vibrate loose when running a spool.

I love my BD and this problem does not exist when using a one-way or diff. However it is oh sooooo much better with a spool and I'm desperate to find a fix.

I have thought about drilling out the axle and trunion, enlarging the slot in the dogbone and fitting larger pins, has anyone tried this?
Or maybe trying pins made from piano wire?

Can anyone recommend any other shafts (maybe other manfacturers that will fit with shimming or different bearings)? Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

JJC

migsy
13-11-2009, 08:16 PM
i did use a bd for a while, i got rid of the spool and fitted a complete diff in there, you will get wicked breaking into a corner from that.

i also fitted ae blue cvd all round.

hope this helps.

JJC
13-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that, I was considering changing to a diff up front, but would prefer to run a spool if possible. Are the Associated CVD's a direct fit?

migsy
13-11-2009, 10:13 PM
i used a few washers to space them back but i had no probs after.;)

TRICKYNICK
14-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I had the same problem with my BD :(

Best driveshafts I found was the Rayspeed ones but they wasn't perfect

I'm sorry to say I got so fed up with it, I sold my BD and went for a Schumacher even though I had raced Yokomo touring cars since 1999 :cry:

migsy
14-11-2009, 05:25 PM
this is a long shot bit its worth trying if you drive better with the spool.

take the drive shafts off the car, where the pins go in, slide some heat shrink over the so you no longer have veiw of them. then warm up the heat srink like you would a wire or battery. it should help keep the pins there.

hope this helps.;)