PDA

View Full Version : CR2 LHD or RHD

Legacy555
17-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for some informed opinion of whether the LHD version is superior to the RHD version, or are they just the same.

The pro's and con's for the two versions are:

LHD:
Pros: uses standard gearbox, retains standard gear cover
Cons: needs reverse speedo or additional idler

RHD:
Pros: conventional speedo retained and no idler mod required
Cons: modified gearbox, looses std gear cover, reversed motor plate

Regards,

Will

Reevsey
17-11-2009, 01:29 PM
LHD for me is the best option with the extra Idler gear, You get to keep most of it standard which i think lasts longer but the most important part is the extra idler, this kicks the motor in a different direction and gives you more rear end grip.

V-Rossi
17-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I have to follow Simon in this and say LHD. The car is a bit more allround as it performs very well on both high and low grip surfaces.

Fitting the extra idler isn't a problem at all, you can use one of the following things to 'solve' it:
- Do the motor plate mod like Simon did, the advantage is that you can still use all of your current pinions
- Use the 20/21 pinion with a smaller spur (like AE 72 or 75T spur), works perfect and power feels like it should be
- Jonathan is working on a modded motor plate, so waiting for that one is the third option

Legacy555
17-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I've emailed Jonathan asking the same as below, however someone here might be able to answer.

I've ordered the RHD version and it's been sent already but hasn't arrived. After doing a bit more homework, I've decided to go with LHD and include the idler mod.

Can I build the RHD car as a LHD or are there some differences in the kit? (obviously all the gearbox changes become redundant).

MatJohnson
17-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, you just don't need to mod the gearbox. There is a seperate bag for the RHD bits, just ignore them and month the gearbox the other way round.

tony12795
17-11-2009, 04:21 PM
From memory I think you should be fine, like you said you don't use the extra gear box parts and dont mod the gear box and plate..

Thanks Toadeh, you got there before me.

Legacy555, you really need the motor brace too. So if you don't have one get one.... :thumbsup:

Legacy555
17-11-2009, 04:32 PM
From memory I think you should be fine, like you said you don't use the extra gear box parts and dont mod the gear box and plate..

Thanks Toadeh, you got there before me.

Legacy555, you really need the motor brace too. So if you don't have one get one.... :thumbsup:

Thanks gentlemen, yep have brace and -3mm shock towers on the way.
Thanks for the answers!

Legacy555
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
After buying a RHD kit, I decided to build it as a LHD and do the idler mod. I used a standard XXX idler, 2 x front wheel bearings and front aluminium axle with spacer. Took a bit of effort to get the meshing right.
http://www.hondacupireland.com/stuff/idler.jpg