PDA

View Full Version : New Website Now Live!

ryanlownie
20-11-2009, 10:32 AM
We are pleased to announce that our brand new website is now live. We have redesigned it to give you a cleaner, fresher and much easier look. We've made improvements to the user experience and it should be a nice and easy shopping or browsing experience now.

Over the coming months we will be improving our range of products (specifically 1/10 electric products) with the clear goal of being able to provide you with everything you need in one place with competitive pricing, our excellent service and efficiency.

Naturally with any new website there may be minor glitches to be found across the site and we will be working to iron out any issues. If anyone spots a problem please contact us, we would also appreciate any critique and comments on the new look and feel to the site.

Many thanks,

The JE Spares Team
www.jespares.com

littlened
20-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Looking good. There's a slightly display issue with the 'PW?' button in Google Chrome, it appears underneath the login form rather than next to it.

MatJohnson
20-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Some good design that. Nice to see a company continue the theme of its logo (rounded and not too complex) throughout the site.

Although you need to change the meta data in your joomla backend.

littlened
20-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Some good design that. Nice to see a company continue the theme of its logo (rounded and not too complex) throughout the site.

Although you need to change the meta data in your joomla backend.

It's amazing how many people forget about that :)

ryanlownie
20-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Noted down and on the case!

bigred5765
20-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Nice one guys looking good,:)

RogerM
20-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Please take this in the constructive manor it is intended but it looks shocking on IE6, almost unusable!!!

The error message at the top of the screen reads ...

NOTE: This template is compatible with IE6, however your experience will be enhanced with a newer browser.

The last version of Internet Explorer 6 was called Service Pack 1 for Internet Explorer 6 and was released in December of 2004. By continuing to run Internet Explorer 6 you are open to any and all security vulnerabilities discovered since that date. In October of 2006, Microsoft released version 7 of Internet Explorer that, in addition to providing greater safety in navigation, which allows the Internet Explorer browser to identify as' modern browsers'. Microsoft has launched Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update, and is now available to download for free without any certification requirements. As of Feb 12th, 2008 Microsoft is forcing updates to Internet Explorer 6 in order to move people towards the much improved and secure version 7. Please ensure you don't hamper this process. It's for your own good!

Before somebody tells me to upgrade this is a work PC and we have no admin rights so that isn't possible.

I know this won't affect many people but just thought I'd brng it to your attention as there will be people, like myself, stuck using older browsers.

littlened
20-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Please take this in the constructive manor it is intended but it looks shocking on IE6, almost unusable!!!

NOTE: This template is compatible with IE6, however your experience will be enhanced with a newer browser.

The last version of Internet Explorer 6 was called Service Pack 1 for Internet Explorer 6 and was released in December of 2004. By continuing to run Internet Explorer 6 you are open to any and all security vulnerabilities discovered since that date. In October of 2006, Microsoft released version 7 of Internet Explorer that, in addition to providing greater safety in navigation, which allows the Internet Explorer browser to identify as' modern browsers'. Microsoft has launched Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update, and is now available to download for free without any certification requirements. As of Feb 12th, 2008 Microsoft is forcing updates to Internet Explorer 6 in order to move people towards the much improved and secure version 7. Please ensure you don't hamper this process. It's for your own good!

Before somebody tells me to upgrade this is a work PC and we have no admin rights so that isn't possible.

I know this won't affect many people but just thought I'd brng it to your attention as there will be people, like myself, stuck using older browsers.

What that message doesn't say is that microsoft will be supporting IE6 until 2014 (I think), so us developers still have to build sites that are usable in the IE6. Over 10% of internet users still use IE6, although most of those will be corporate's where its too costly to upgrade.

Also, isn't this line incorrect?
"The last version of Internet Explorer 6 was called Service Pack 1 for Internet Explorer 6 and was released in December of 2004. By continuing to run Internet Explorer 6 you are open to any and all security vulnerabilities discovered since that date."

Microsoft are continually updating IE6 to fill as many holes in it as possible, so I'd hardly say you're open to every attach since IE6's release date.

bigred5765
20-11-2009, 12:57 PM

simply upgrade to a newer browser or get one of the free ones firefox etc

ryanlownie
20-11-2009, 01:00 PM
In a work environment most people won't be able to upgrade as they won't have the sufficient privileges to install new software.

I've noted it and passed it on to our developer anyway but cannot guarantee IE6 compatibility, I'm no expert but it doesn't sound like a straightforward thing to do. We will have to weigh it up and see if it is worth doing or not.

littlened
20-11-2009, 01:35 PM
In a work environment most people won't be able to upgrade as they won't have the sufficient privileges to install new software.

I've noted it and passed it on to our developer anyway but cannot guarantee IE6 compatibility, I'm no expert but it doesn't sound like a straightforward thing to do. We will have to weigh it up and see if it is worth doing or not.

Did you have a contract with your developers? There's usually something in it to say the website will work on all existing browsers but that it might not work on any new browsers released after the completion of your website.

If you have not already got it, install Google analytics on the site, it can tell you what browser people are using. If only 2% of your visitors using that browser, then it's probably safe to say you don't need to bother sorting the site out. but in another breath, someone in that 2% could be spending more than it actually costs to fix the problems.

If you get stuck or need some advice, just drop me a PM.

ryanlownie
20-11-2009, 01:51 PM
No there's nothing contracted with it, all design work is done in house by me and then the coding e.t.c is done by a private individual. I'll have a word with the boss anyway, see what the best thing to do is. Cheers for the advice.

ben
20-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Much easier to navigate, good jabbb :thumbsup:

RogerM
20-11-2009, 03:45 PM
simply upgrade to a newer browser or get one of the free ones firefox etc

Carl ... clue was in the quote you copied ... "work PC ... no admin rights" .. lol :D

anyway ... just wanted JE to be aware that is all

Now I'm viewing the site through the latest version of firefox (on my own laptop) it looks and works fine!

Si Coe
20-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Looks good, but then I thought your old site was one of the easiest to use as well so expected nothing less.

In fact, I would have described your old site as an excellent example of how a shop website should work, so the upgrade puts you even further ahead!

BRS
24-11-2009, 09:40 AM
One thing I have noticed that must have an effect on you is all your links are now broke ie

I do a google search for whatever and you come up but the link goes nowhere, shame. Obviously in time that will fix its self but you must miss out in mean time?

ryanlownie
24-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah that's all the SEO links, it'll just take some time on Google to get up to date but it needed to be done!