PDA

View Full Version : Racing Format

mikeyscott
24-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Please can people vote on how they want the racing, we'll have a vote / chat on Sunday too.

Staggered with FTD or random for me please

Matt-h
24-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Staggered FTD.

Randall34
25-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Staggered start (FTD) - two leg final (depending on number of rounds/heats)

SteveB
25-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Ill race in any format for a dry meeting :p Staggered of course.

AlisdairO
25-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Much prefer grid layout. It'd be really nice to at least have more than one race where we're racing each other and not the clock.

mikeyscott
25-11-2009, 10:03 AM
We can control the staggered delay so that there isn't much of a gap.

dibble34
25-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Much prefer grid layout. It'd be really nice to at least have more than one race where we're racing each other and not the clock.

I am with you mate on this one :)

mikeyscott
25-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Once the staggered heat is running about a couple of laps in most are running close anyway (except the likes of Steve)

dibble34
25-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Once the staggered heat is running about a couple of laps in most are running close anyway (except the likes of Steve)

But you don't actually know who is in the lead unless you can remeber the order in which everyone set off!

mikeyscott
25-11-2009, 12:19 PM
But you don't actually know who is in the lead unless you can remeber the order in which everyone set off!

The software announces the running order, which is why I need to get the speaker system working with it.

mikeyscott
25-11-2009, 03:52 PM
From the BRCA manual. I think we should use the BRCA standard.

staggered starts for the qualifying rounds. The start order within heats
for Round one can be chosen by random order, or alternatively can be based on Championship positions
within each Heat. After the first Round the start order for subsequent rounds will be determined by each
driver’s fastest time.

http://www.brca.org/Sections/off_e_10/Racing/2009%2010th%20offroad%20rules.pdfer’s fastest time.

DHB
25-11-2009, 09:49 PM
staggered is good, but dont mind just good weather would help

mikeyscott
25-11-2009, 09:50 PM
staggered is good, but dont mind just good weather would help

Hi Dan,

Indeed some good weather would be nice.

SteveB
26-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Dan,

Indeed some good weather would be nice.

Mike, you need to do the sun dance and not the rain.:lol: Weather looking superb 4 boats. Mayby an RC lake next to the track will work?:D

mikeyscott
26-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm trying !!! :(

mikeyscott
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
What do people think about 7 minute finals? I quite like the idea of the final race being a longer one.

SteveB
06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Cool for lipo runners and 2wd but need to suck and see on race day, love to do 10 mins my batterys will be good but motor could get hot

Matt-h
06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Motor temps would be my concern too.

mikeyscott
06-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Cool for lipo runners and 2wd but need to suck and see on race day, love to do 10 mins my batterys will be good but motor could get hot

Too much for NIMHs?

Motor temps, gear it right it should be ok?

dibble34
06-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I find it hard enough staying in one piece for 5 mins!

mikeyscott
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I find it hard enough staying in one piece for 5 mins!

Go slower :lol:

I thought it would make for a more exciting final run. We could always try it for one meeting?

wylie
06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I would love longer finals :thumbsup:

AlisdairO
07-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Not so keen on the 7 min finals, personally. Disadvantages the NiMH and brushed runners, which means those with less cash to race with. Particularly, one or two of our younger races can barely finish 5minute races on their current batteries :p

mikeyscott
07-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Not so keen on the 7 min finals, personally. Disadvantages the NiMH and brushed runners, which means those with less cash to race with. Particularly, one or two of our younger races can barely finish 5minute races on their current batteries :p

Vaild point. Again this is just thoughts in the open bouncing ideas round

Randall34
07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I remember only having crappy NiCads when i was a kid, and all the top boys started getting those new fangled Metal Hydride batteries. I felt very disadvantaged, however it made me try harder and get better at racing, i saved my paper round money to get some of those batteries and i was a much better driver for it. The hobby (or sport) evolves and we all need to evolve too or else no-one will ever get better, young kids need to learn to get the best out of what they have and we need to help them out as much as we can. LiPos are where the sport is going and there will be a transition period, the cost will come down. You can get LiPo packs online 5300mah 40c for £35 from Hong Kong, brushless combos for £60-80 and a balance charger for £30. So it can be done on a budget
Sorry... I'll step off my soap box.

wylie
07-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Question
1. How many racers do we have who can't make 7 mins.
2. Is it only for the Finals.
3. How can we help those who can't get more run time.

Some observations i've made on other racers cars, poor wiring, cars turning up for race meeting dirty.
Dirty cars
1. carry more weight = draw more current=shorter run time
2. drive train is not free = draw more current
Poor wiring.
bad connections = high resistance = creates heat draw more current= shorter runtime.
Im not having a go at anybody these are just things iv'e observed.
All the time i've been nitro racing i see the same racers turn up and struggle to complete there qualifying and final due to poorly maintained cars, some of them are happy to do this, some get frustrated and need help, i'll try to help anyone, if i have the knowledge and abillty.
Perhaps we could have a workshop after a race meeting to help those?
Theres always something new to learn.
Im not saying we clean or prep there cars but give them guidence on things to do, ready for the next meet.
Sorry about all that :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
My original idea of 7 min races would be just for finals.

I like the workshop idea, but it's a case of pre arranging I think due to people having family commitments in the afternoons.

I think we all need to help a certain junior member at the moment as I know he wants to give up. But as you say it's because it doesn't work week in week out. If he gets some new batteries a couple of us have offered to maintain his batteries for him. I.e. we do the charging, discharging, balancing etc. My only requirement from him is that his car is spotless when he comes racing the following week etc.

However downside of this is that people need to learn and if you do it for them how do they learn? Equally some people don't like to be given help.....

As people have said it's about enjoying a morning / days racing.

If we have some junior members who do invest in some LIPOs I will be expecting them to use a charging pouch

jamiekerr14
07-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Stop talking about me Tony! :p
I think, the idea could work.. cant wait to get down to Titch now!

B44 is read set go!
B44
Losi 6.5T
Savox SC-1251MG
Demon Power 6000

Tony.. fancy taking mine home and cleaning mine ect :thumbsup:

Question
1. How many racers do we have who can't make 7 mins.
2. Is it only for the Finals.
3. How can we help those who can't get more run time.

Some observations i've made on other racers cars, poor wiring, cars turning up for race meeting dirty.
Dirty cars
1. carry more weight = draw more current=shorter run time
2. drive train is not free = draw more current
Poor wiring.
bad connections = high resistance = creates heat draw more current= shorter runtime.
Im not having a go at anybody these are just things iv'e observed.
All the time i've been nitro racing i see the same racers turn up and struggle to complete there qualifying and final due to poorly maintained cars, some of them are happy to do this, some get frustrated and need help, i'll try to help anyone, if i have the knowledge and abillty.
Perhaps we could have a workshop after a race meeting to help those?
Theres always something new to learn.
Im not saying we clean or prep there cars but give them guidence on things to do, ready for the next meet.
Sorry about all that :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
The key thing for me is to get everything working nicely. So for the moment it'll be 5 minute heats, then 5 minute finals. It can be raised at the AGM early next year.

Computer and meeting need to run perfectly for at least a few meetings with reasonable numbers, agreed?

I'm going to re-install Vista on the laptop this week and get anti virus and BBK the only software installed. I may buy a speech program to get the speech working better (no not from the club funds)

Speaker system needs to be sorted in order for the computer to say the numbers nicely!

Matt-h
07-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Mike, would Xp not be better?

Vista is proper crap!

mikeyscott
07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Mike, would Xp not be better?

Vista is proper crap!

I don't believe it's the OS, I believe it's the other crap on the laptop. I've never had any issues with a clean and proper install of Vista.

I have been running the software in a XP VM on another machine and haven't noticed any difference. The voices are the same, same quirks etc. I haven't got any XP Home media for the laptop anyway.

Running Vista Business x64 on my laptop and Windows 7 x64 on my desktop PC with no probs.