PDA

View Full Version : Spares - what to have???

zackmitchell
27-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Guys,

Just getting into racing and have a Mi3.5, many people down the local club run these, but was wondering what spares people think are essential as dont want to turn up with nothing and have to beg and borrow everything i may need.

Any suggestions as to what basic spares to carry?

Regards Zack

sosidge
27-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I have no idea how durable the Mi3.5 is, but personally speaking I don't carry any spares when I go touring racing, I haven't broken a part for years - most of the cars now are pretty durable.

Generally, the parts that break are the moulded parts around the extremities of the suspension - arms and hubs. That should cover you for the most likely breakages. But unless you keep a whole spare car, there will always be the day that you break or lose a really unusual part, and that's your race over. :thumbdown:

Kifogrande
27-11-2009, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=sosidge;315127]I have no idea how durable the Mi3.5 is, but personally speaking I don't carry any spares when I go touring racing, I haven't broken a part for years

Your so going to break it now you said that!

coolcars782
27-11-2009, 09:36 AM
When i race my sprint the only thing i have ever broken is the rear belts nothing else :thumbsup:

Matt_N
27-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I've got a whole car in spares :P but the must have spares are generally wishbones, c-hubs, steering blocks and bone blades if your car uses them. Belts and driveshafts are also good things to have as spares.

Matt

Donutt
27-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Agreed. I have always carried front end spares for all the cars I've raced.

Another tip, consider carrying a few of the screws/bolts, etc that hold everything together. Putting the right screw back in is better than cobbling the wrong one.

Get a good pre-race check routine together, spend the time after marshalling to check for loose screws. They lead to as many breakages as impacts.

Also including checking/rebuilding the car after a meeting. You'll be surprised what isn't obvious when you just "look over" the car. I've taken cars apart before to find hairline cracks on wishbone edges that at best make the car handle badly or worse, break under strangely light impacts. I didn't see the crack until I took it all apart and put it back together.

That way, you've got a chance to order and replace before a race meeting.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it also helps keep the car tight and predictable.

I expect some of that is obvious, but hope it helps.

qatmix
29-11-2009, 04:42 PM
If its a Mi3.5 they seem to eat diffs for breakfast. So I would have a spare diff parts. (A fully assembled one to pop in when it gives way would be good).

Mad-Wolfie
09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
knowing Schumacher they will have improved the design to make the car tougher when compared to the older versions... however, Wishbones & driveshafts would be the essential spares to take & keep a good stock of as these are the 1st things to go in a heavy impact or if you clip a barrier wrong & then you are probably looking at drive belts, diff parts & the kingpins (just in case they get bent when the wishbones go) as well as a good stock of screws & fastenings on standby as well. But then you could say the same for most cars.