PDA

View Full Version : weird electrical issue in Durango.

Malcnz
30-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Ran Durango for first time yesterday and was awesome but had a weird problem in that the PT wouldnt work ..it would start but not count laps...in the 3rd heat it did count but the motor felt like it was cogging but was fine top end and then in final 4th heat it didnt count again but motor returned to normal...weird
have PT on chassis inbetween motor and speedy.
controller is the LRP ssx and LRP 6.5 motor and running a spektrum micro receiver...running lipo IP 4200s...any help would be appreciated.

offroadrc
30-11-2009, 08:01 AM
i would put the transponder on a different place

Malcnz
30-11-2009, 08:59 AM
sure but not to many options on the Durango..and wondering if there is more to it than that..

AmiSMB
30-11-2009, 09:23 AM
It is always best with Spektrum receivers to use a power cap which helps with lost laps issues and can help with interference with the Spektrum equipment.

MALLET
30-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi Malcnz,

I've got mine on the side of my battery works brill. You can see the Velcro on the battery (see picture) as I use the PT on all my other 10th scale

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/mallets_photos/speedo001.jpg

one
30-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Try different spots. I had same issue and moved it, from next to the esc to the side near the battery. Also when it did not work it was flat on the chassis, now it is on it's side, no problem at all.

Adam Skelding
30-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Try plugging your PT into the Batt output on your receiver.
I had a similar problem with my D4.
Someone told me to use the Batt output on the RX rather than the 3rd channel.

Something about it being a more stable source.

Worked fine and that's where my PT's are plugged in now.

Northy
30-11-2009, 11:56 AM
:confused: Mmmm, I'm almost certain all the power pins are just connected together on the PCB, but hey, if it works, who cares :lol:

G

blue_pinky
30-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Not sure if I'm missing something about PT's, but doesn't metal, i.e. the aluminum chassis, not act like a sheild against RFID? Or at least reduce it's performance? Don't know if this relates to your electrical issue either, but just a thought.

How directional is the MyLaps/AMB PT's RFID signal?

That might help suggest why a PT on it's side works better than one on the floor of a metal chassis'd car, as on it's side it would be transmitting out of the top of the chassis/sheilding.

When I've designed things with RFID systems in them I've always had to make sure there wasn't anything metallic between the transmitter and receiver...not sure if these PT's behave the same but not sure why they wouldn't be?

mikeyscott
30-11-2009, 12:48 PM
It is always best with Spektrum receivers to use a power cap which helps with lost laps issues and can help with interference with the Spektrum equipment.

I've been mulling putting the power cap on my Cat SX again with my Micro to help. Haven't had issues, it's more to prevent..

Spektrum cap is just sat in my box at the moment.

MALLET
30-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Not sure if I'm missing something about PT's, but doesn't metal, i.e. the aluminum chassis, not act like a sheild against RFID? Or at least reduce it's performance? Don't know if this relates to your electrical issue either, but just a thought.

Hi Andy, I've never had a problem with any of mine over a lot of years running 1/8th, as you know there is a lot of ali on there.

Tim

Malcnz
30-11-2009, 06:16 PM
thanks for the great advice guys..
when I used this PT in my X5 I had it on the side and it didnt work so had to lay it flat and it was fine.
did wonder about a caps as had one again in the X5 using this receiver so may give that a try first before moving it.
Yeah i run 8th to and never had issues with an alloy chassis etc.
Thanks again and hopefully the caps will sort it out.

mark christopher
30-11-2009, 07:33 PM

never used on since ive had pro version
:confused: Mmmm, I'm almost certain all the power pins are just connected together on the PCB, but hey, if it works, who cares :lol:

G

they are the red and blacks all join up inside

How directional is the MyLaps/AMB PT's RFID signal?

That might help suggest why a PT on it's side works better than one on the floor of a metal chassis'd car, as on it's side it would be transmitting out of the top of the chassis/sheilding.

When I've designed things with RFID systems in them I've always had to make sure there wasn't anything metallic between the transmitter and receiver...not sure if these PT's behave the same but not sure why they wouldn't be?

not effected by alloy chassis, the pt's give out the best signal when flat (ie number up) get it cloned to an mrt smaller and better signal, spot mine on the servo

http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.christopher/Trakpower/durangotrakpower.jpg

AmiSMB
30-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I use the Pro Spektrum equipment but found that when I ran in in my 1/8th cars I was fighting the system as it would lag behind my inputs and sometimes go into the failsafe around my local track. I tried everything from changing receiver, tx module, changing the whole tx, trying NiMH and Lipo receiver packs but when I installed a power cap into the receiver all of these issues went away. I found the same when I ran the same equipment in my X-5 and the adding the power cap and everything was fine. I also found that as I moved away from my TX with the car and pushed the front wheels hard the servo would move away from centre and then back again no matter what servo I used. The fix for this was to use Futaba FAAST and I have not had the same issues at all only a heat problem in my Xray 808!
I now use Futaba FAAST in my 1/8th and Spektrum for 1/10th.
I currently have a Spektrum Micro receiver in my Durango and have the PT mounted on its side and have not had a problem with missed laps.

mikeyscott
30-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Grant,

You'd recommend a Power Cap in my Cat SX then?

Spektrum micro
Sanwa servo
Tekin RS Pro
Losi 7.5T
MRT PT

AmiSMB
30-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Only if you find the car doing strange things at different parts of a track. I ran my CAT SX without the cap and it was fine apart from the QE show where it showed the same issues and when I popped a cap in the problem went away. Always something good to have available in the tool box :)

mikeyscott
30-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Only if you find the car doing strange things at different parts of a track. I ran my CAT SX without the cap and it was fine apart from the QE show where it showed the same issues and when I popped a cap in the problem went away. Always something good to have available in the tool box :)

Time to claim it back off a friend!

Malcnz
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys and have just ordered an MRT transponder..not a clone and hope the 20 numbers supplied arent already used by club mates...surely not and imagine that:thumbdown:
How long do they normally take to supply?
will also try the caps .

infanterene
03-12-2009, 05:45 AM
I put my pt sideways infront of the servo. originally it was between the motor and esc but it wouldnt work there.