PDA

View Full Version : Dudley big jump

sldmodels
09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm interested to know what you all though of the big jump at Dudley as it was me who built it, and if I ever build another one, I'd like to know what direction to take it in, what improvements can be made, or what you absolutely loved or hated about it.

markwilliamson2001
09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Just 18 inches too high IMO, and too close to marshalls head height to be very safe, as some cars were jumping towards marshalls heads without even trying. Make it a little lower, and longer and it would be perfect.

OldMan
09-12-2009, 07:21 PM
The Jump was fine, just too far away for my aging eyes

coolcars782
09-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Any pics of it?

sldmodels
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Theres a few about, plus I've put a video, and a link to some video other people took on my face book (search for sarah@sldmodels.co.uk)

Ben Turner
09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
LOL ok then who put driving and jumping??? Own up now :p

Im with Mark, was a nice idea, but a longer, flatter, slightly lower jump would of been better. Gave the track a nice range of features though when put with the other stuff

sldmodels
09-12-2009, 11:09 PM
LOL ok then who put driving and jumping??? Own up now :p

Im with Mark, was a nice idea, but a longer, flatter, slightly lower jump would of been better. Gave the track a nice range of features though when put with the other stuff

That would be me. I only got in half my available runs due to one problem or another, and then I couldn't get my own jump right! lol

The landing ramp took me about 3-4 weeks to do, as it was the prototype. I bought the equipment for the take-off ramp, on Thursday morning, all in all, the jump cost me about £150 in materials.

The idea was for a Indiana Jones style "rope-bridge", to give the option of jumping it, or driving it. At full length, the bridge section would be about 3 metres, when pulled taught, which we didn't want (it was meant to have the dip and to move).

By the time I'd bought the last lot of stuff for Dudley, the carpet was down, and the white sections in place, then we added the two bigger small jumps, and when that didn't look jumpy enough, started adding more and more - the Dudley crew did a brilliant job, but I was the only one with micro national experience.

Glad the overall impression was a good one.

sldmodels
09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
sorry, forgot to mention, the same jump could be used again, and because of the hinges used, could be taller (which doesn't seem to be wanted) or almost on the floor, but I think the lowest height would have to be the 500mm mark, which would reduce it by just under half.

sldmodels
15-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Assuming the Dudley club put in for a meet next year, (and assuming I can go through all that again!). I'm going to put some ideas out for next time, so let me know what you think, what you like and don't, and what probably might not work.

The big jump will be back, but lower, approx just over 50cm, and round the right way this time lol.

"Gravel trap jump" - now this would be in between two smaller jumps, and there would be gravel or coloured stones (like from a fishtank) to drive over, which would be glued to an even or un-even surface. if there's a risk of stone leaving the pit, then a "collection area" ie a black bin bag underneath, would be in place to collect it, after all, we don't want to be there for hours picking up stones.

"The Rock" - this would be an obstacle of sorts, that would have a jump at the start if you want to try to clear it, but the driving option would be uneven in places. Diffult to build possibly, but interesting, might even colour in a raised eyebrow on the front for you jabronies.

Banked corner "essses" - exactly what it says on the tin.

Maybe, a thread should be sorted for the kinds of jumps we'd all like to see?

Ben Turner
15-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Can you imagine the rooster tail kicked up from a 8.5 powered micro going though this 'gravel trap'???

Northy
15-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I do not race Micro (mainly as no one does in my neck of the woods - not because I don't want to) but have built many National tracks in my time. My advice is keep away from building fancy "obstacles", leave that job to the guys who try and dumb down RC on the TV and simply build consistant, full track width, good 'features', the racers will prefer it from my experience. :)

G

rich67
15-12-2009, 07:57 PM
GRAVEL TRAP!!!! :o Isnt that why we race indoors so we dont get gravel etc in our little cars and wreck spur gears etc.

Smartalec
15-12-2009, 08:07 PM
What about the bit where you drive through the clowns mouth and then through the windmill before the sails get you :thumbsup:

markwilliamson2001
15-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Nah, I think how about the "tunnel of death"? Driving blind for more than 5 seconds LOL

sldmodels
16-12-2009, 01:36 PM
any gravel or stone used would be glued down, so would essentially just be a change of surface, but it would be an optional thing, as most people would just it anyway.

peetbee
16-12-2009, 02:25 PM
In my opinion, the worst thing a race track can have is obstacles.
They often result in it being a lottery as to whether you get through ok or ruin the flow of a track which detracts from racing.

I'm not against features, but they have to avoid falling into the above categories.

Northy
16-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Agreed, simple, consistent features are the key :)

G

Stu
16-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Do the people who run the venue have any regulations relating to the use of lava?

c0sie
16-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I hope that you 10th offroad types dont think that all our micro tracks have gravel traps and windmills etc.

Trying not to scare you all off here you know :D

markwilliamson2001
16-12-2009, 08:07 PM
we micro racers are civilised creatures...as cris has rightly said.

Mini-JT
16-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Ben Turner
16-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Is that Caldicot????

;)

peetbee
16-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Is that Caldicot????

;)
Well it's about right for those little toy micros isn't it?! :woot::p

In fact how did JT get hold of that picture of our track for the national?

gaffer
16-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Track looks awesome for caldicot, cant wait.

:thumbsup:

Mini-JT
16-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Ben Turner
16-12-2009, 11:32 PM
That last pic is a copy of that duct tape/cable ripple thing from dudley national! :woot:

wezzer
16-12-2009, 11:33 PM
we got the trucks http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000001220 :thumbsup: