PDA

View Full Version : I Want Your Opinion!

philly
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
OK, so it seems that brushless is here to stay and could be the more powerful, less maintenence, less power sapping answer to our prayers, ( I wait to be corrected;) ) but which is the way to go?

A lot of you guys and gals have been using brushless for a while so which makes and models are cutting the mustard and which are leaving a sour taste?

From your trackside conversations and personal experience there must be some shining beacons leading this technology and some pale immitations jumping on the bandwagon. As proud oOplers, it's your duty to share the knowledge! :)

phil c
07-05-2007, 11:56 PM
i have both lrp sphere and novak gtb and i like both, but the novak seems to have more punch but less brakes the lrp sphere,but i know one thing i will not go back to brushed its to much hassle skimming motors ,bedding in new brushes, cleaning them every race and sticking brushes ! how many people have lost a race due to sticking brushes !

rcracer
08-05-2007, 02:01 AM
how many people have lost a race due to sticking brushes !

erh Garry :D

AndyM
08-05-2007, 06:27 AM
i have the Nosram evo. one. it is really, really good. plenty of punch and lots of brakes. i reccommend it!! :)

VONDUTCH
08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
It seems to me that moving to brushless is the ideal but at present the costs involved seem quite prohibitive.I would guess if we ask "pro" drivers then their reply is less than objective? If you don't pay for your gear I don't suppose it matters too much.I would love to go to brushless but I'm sure I can't run to the cost at the moment(unemployed:( ) Is there such a thing as a good "cheap" setup? I agree about the problems of running brushed and whilst enjoying my recent return to racing,the upkeep and maintenance is a pain in the ass. To kinda' back up Phillys point-what's the answer?

xx4-nutter
08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
erh Garry :D

haha im just gad it was at a club night !

Andrew Simpson
08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
i run the nosram evo as well, definately recomend it!

if you are struggling for cash, do the conversion gradually,

an lrp or nosram speedo first, there are some awesome BNIP second hand ones for great prices on here and ebay

then a motor, 4* at around 40 second hand

i cant find a fault with the lrp/nosram speedo motor combination, and of course everyone knows that if there was a problem lrp have an excellant repair and guarantee service, so i personnaly belive lrp is the way forward and that brushless is definatley a worth while conversion despite the costs

ashleyb4
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I highly recomend the nosram evolution and the orion votex route. I first run it last sunday and i put it on the track and i accelrated and the power of it flipped my xx4 over so i loosend my slipper off and the power was ace. as for breaks in brushed im used to yanking them on with my brushless i pulled them on like i do with my brushed and i stopped instantly and someoen run up my arse end but i was ok. Theorion being sinitared is ace highly recomend.

a

matt
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
My dad runs last years Matrix Evo and loves it in his Lazer with a 4 star motor, he did the season with only putting a bit of oil on the bearings. I've got the LRP Comp 2007 model with a 5.5 motor that i got for the 4WD, I usde this for a meeting or two and then sold the car. Since then it has gone in my B4 and it rules, with all the upgrades the new models come with it is easy to tune out the power(i have got a 6.5 on order as the 5.5 is far to much for me in 2WD).I don't think i will go back to brushed.

NeilD
08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I've got the LRP sphere comp 2007 with a 5.5 motor and it's the best thing i've bought.

GRIFF55
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I use the NOSRAM MATRIX ISTC in 4wd with a STORM 6.5, plenty powerful and the fan keeps it all cooooool. Very highly recommended.:)

Richard Lowe
08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I have a Sphere 2007 and X11 5.5 in my BJ4 and like Neil it's the best thing I've bought in a while :)

The feel is different to a brushed setup, but after getting used to it I much prefer it, you have a lot more torque low down if you need it and the acceleration is very consistent at any speed. The brakes arn't as good as a brushed motor IMO, they're strong alright but seem a bit on or off.

The best bit is the almost complete lack of maintinence needed, I bolted it all into my BJ4 back in January and tonight was the first time it'd come out of the car, and thats only because I'm giving the car a rebuild before Kiddy :D

tc2k
08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Not having anything to do, you brushless guys make me sick.

Im only jealous :D

philly
08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem like it's the future! As with everything, technology moves on and I guess there will come a day when we reflect on the old brushed motors with nostalga.

It looks like Nosram and LRP are favorites out there. When's pay day again?...:D

super__dan
09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Cost – If you already have a fully working brushed setup you are happy with then I agree it is a lot of money. However if you need a new speedo and are looking at buying motors ahead of the 2007 season then the fact you’ll only need 1 or maybe 2 brushless motors and they last for so long maintenance free means it’s cheaper. Of the people I know and race with, all buy top end ESC’s when they get a new one whether they ‘need’ to get the best one or not.

Rich reference the different feel of the brushless and the brakes are not as good. This is true of the bonded versions. I believe the sintered motor versions feel almost no different and have better brakes than any of the brushed setups I ever had.

Lastly, regarding cost, I have to point out the Novak system is substantially cheaper than the LRP/Nosram one. I believe if you buy as a package, you can get the latest version with the sintered motors for £180, which is actually cheaper than a top line brushed ESC and motor combo!!!!

Lee Martin
09-05-2007, 09:38 AM
i have both lrp sphere and novak gtb and i like both, but the novak seems to have more punch but less brakes the lrp sphere,but i know one thing i will not go back to brushed its to much hassle skimming motors ,bedding in new brushes, cleaning them every race and sticking brushes ! how many people have lost a race due to sticking brushes !

put a sinted rotor in the bad boy novak...

then u will have increased punch and brakes!!!

like dan said really......

Kopite
09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Can you get sintered rotors for the LRP/Nosram gear?

Wraggy
09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
yeah you can stan , not sure of price though , think around £20 mark but might be wrong ...

Kopite
09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Just wondering, cos i've had 3 motors now (one is the same motor twice) that have thrown their bonding on the rotor, and seized the motor. Just wondering if maybe the sintered route might be better/more reliable

bigred5765
09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
nosram Novak or LRP all very good and miles better than the brushed equivalent

super__dan
09-05-2007, 11:42 AM
As a point though, putting a sintered rotor in an LRP motor makes it illegal for BRCA (so I am told), as they are not currently sold with sintered rotors. Where as because the Novak ones are sold with a sintered rotor, they are OK, as are other motors sold with sintered arms such as the orion.

Southwell
09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Same with brushed, if you replace a motor with a different make/model arm then it's illegal, so iam told.

super__dan
09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Agreed Ian, I just didn't want Stan rushing out to buy a sintered one only to find he can't run it this weekend.

loose
09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
What about the local boys at Mtroniks, do they have anything that can live with the LRP, Nosran, Novak etc? If so how do they compare pricewise?

Its seems that there are a few options motor wise, what should we look at for a maximum in 2wd? I've seen tales of people putting motors that seem more suited to 4wd in a 2wd, still being fairly new I dont want to make that mistake. Finally, do each of the main manufacturers esc's deal run ok with brushed and brushless? Just thinking that may be the way to go if we're converting gradually.

Cheers.

Kopite
09-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Agreed Ian, I just didn't want Stan rushing out to buy a sintered one only to find he can't run it this weekend.

aaah, cheers buddy, you're getting a big hug for your kindness!

Are they illegal for the whole of the 2007 season? Is that how the rules work, on a year to year basis?

Chris Doughty
09-05-2007, 12:14 PM
they are ilegal because you can't 'buy' that combo off the shelf.

they will become legal if/when LRP/NOSRAM produce a motor (for example 5.5 sintered) that you can buy off the shelf and are submitted to the EB

you will then be able to use the 5.5/sintered can/rotor combo

Scouser
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
The Nosram/LRP 4.5t motor comes supplied with a sintered rotor as standard, does this have any affect on the ruling on the other motors in the range?
Loose, I have a Nosram 6.5 in both my 2wd and my 4wd and that motor is PLENTY fast enough. I have the esc punch control turned right down!! If you are running the motor in 4wd you might be ok with a 5.5 but in 2wd anything faster would be quite difficult to control IMO.

super__dan
09-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Stan, motors can change at any time, it's cells that are fixed from April to April. So Chris is right, when they release the motor in that combo, if nothing else is different (can, sticker, etc etc) I believe you can upgrade to sintered as by component they are the same motor.

I have run a 5.5 but with old cells and it was still freaking fast then. With new/good cells I can't really imagine ever using anything faster than a 6.5 but never say never ;)

notlawnomis
09-05-2007, 02:50 PM
So do all the current Novak systems (i.e. motor and speedo package) come with sintered rotors??

Just looking to get one, but want to make sure I know what I'm buying first!!

Cheers
Simon

Kopite
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
cheers guys!!

super__dan
09-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Simon,

Whilst I'm not a Novak rep, but I was told ALL ribbed motors are sintered! However some of the flat motors (flat finish, not ribbed) are also sintered, I have a 5.5 sintered that is a flat can and is great. I believe there is not other differences between the motors at all.

jimmy
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Do you like it ribbed dan?

bigred5765
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
ribbed gives twice the pleasure.
or so i heard

RLGfx
09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
i've got a 5.5 sintered Novak, with the GTB ESC. I've also got the Nosram with a bonded 5.5, and both are quick, but will the novak motor work with the nosram esc? I've not tried it yet, don't want to blow it up!

super__dan
09-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Do you like it ribbed dan?

Yes,

For her pleasure!

Chrislong
09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
But the ribs are really quite sharp and chafe. :o

Richard Lowe
09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
The master of innuendo has spotted the thread, expect it to be locked within the next half hour :D

Chrislong
09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
There you go, 30 minutes and I managed to 'zippit' :D

philly
09-05-2007, 09:11 PM

This is unsettling on sooooo many levels!:wtf:

Southwell
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Musta been on the wrong way round....

PaulRotheram
09-05-2007, 09:59 PM
you'd know with experience :eh?:

Alfonzo
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Brushless rules. I wouldn't say it was necessarily any faster than a good V2 style motor, but it sure ain't any slower. Here's the good bit - it gives you the same power every time you switch it on. It doesn't 'go off', it doesn't get a sticky brush, it doesn't need special brushes, new springs, dyno time, skimming, molycoddling, talking to, zapping, wrapping up in cotton wool. It just works.

I've got a Mamba Max setup which is a little leftfield as I don't believe the motor is BRCA legal, but the performance is great. The power delivery is nice n smooth, very driveable. Oh, and you get reverse with no comprimise unlike brushed speedo's.

Having said all that, if you have a good V2 (or equivalent) motor setup you're not at any disadvantage on the track and they can be quite economical on servicing so I wouldn't hurry to cash it in. I just love the consistency of Brushless.

I think that covers it!

tc2k
09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
I hope they make the Mamba legal, cheaper than the other setups and more adjustable.