PDA

View Full Version : Ball cups

AmiSMB
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I have managed to get my turnbuckle to disappear all the way into the plastic ball cup on the front. I wondered why it looked so strange and could not work out why the drive shaft was so close to the yoke. I have found that after a heavy crash the camber or toe is usually out and I am checking this after every race just incase. I was wondering what other people are using or if anyone else has experienced this.

mark79
10-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, the ball ends strip or push in on impacts and not just during crashes. I landed at an angle from a smal jump at a corner and stripped a rear camber link.

I also think they develop play quicker than other makes. I also never really had to be carefull before about which way round the turnbuckles were as if they are wrong they tighten with the suspension action.

I've ordered JConcepts ones to try next as the stock ones aren't available at the moment. I noticed in photos that the Team Durango world champs car has White turnbuckles that look like they could be the JConcepts ones.

Smartalec
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Try using the white Losi ball cups and HPI ball studs, these are excellent and seem to stop the problems :thumbsup:

GRIFF55
10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Glad you like my work Alec;):thumbsup:

Smartalec
10-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Glad you like my work Alec;):thumbsup:
LOL, i've only just finished taking both diffs out. I thought I'd better have a look and see how it all works :lol:

trap121
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
what size ball studs do I need to use the losi ball cups?

racdeaf
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
would the RPM rod end fit on the durango's ball stud ?

trap121
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM

I would like to know this as well :)

rcjunky10
11-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Guys do you have part numbers for these items (Ball studs and RPM cups) as my Dex will be here next week and I'd like to have all my option parts in hand by that time.

Thanks!

Hoggy
11-12-2009, 02:38 AM

Yes the rpm trackrod ends fit the standard durango ball studs(be sure to buy the long version of the trackrod end though) i,ve just fitted mine allround and its taken all the slop out plus the rod ends are a lot tighter fit on the trackrods so i would imagine theres less chance of them moving.
The best thing is though they look totally sexy in white rather than black:p

AmiSMB
11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Yes the rpm trackrod ends fit the standard durango ball studs(be sure to buy the long version of the trackrod end though) i,ve just fitted mine allround and its taken all the slop out plus the rod ends are a lot tighter fit on the trackrods so i would imagine theres less chance of them moving.
The best thing is though they look totally sexy in white rather than black:p

Are these RPM ones the Super Duty Turnbuckles for Lunsford ball studs? I ask as I have tried some J Concept ball ends on the turn buckles but the ball stud is not big enough for the Durango ball stud and was horribly stiff.

Hoggy
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Are these RPM ones the Super Duty Turnbuckles for Lunsford ball studs? I ask as I have tried some J Concept ball ends on the turn buckles but the ball stud is not big enough for the Durango ball stud and was horribly stiff.

They are just the standard version but a bit longer,The only thing i have noticed is that where the track rod end fits onto the inner durango ball end thats a bit stiff and does restrict the shocker movement but i,m hoping with a couple of runs this will free off

TEINsports
12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I have managed to get my turnbuckle to disappear all the way into the plastic ball cup on the front. I wondered why it looked so strange and could not work out why the drive shaft was so close to the yoke. I have found that after a heavy crash the camber or toe is usually out and I am checking this after every race just incase. I was wondering what other people are using or if anyone else has experienced this.

This was a problem which i highlighted to TD when i gotten the kit (1st few batches) and was politely brushed off by saying none others has had this problem. Anyway, you'll be safer with rpm ball cups with 4.3mm studs. The kit studs are a tad bigger

blackstring
12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
The Associated TC5 ball studs are the smaller "standard ball" but with Metric threads. I've been using these with the losi dark grey extra rigid cups with excellent results.

ASC31280 Short neck, 5mm thread
ASC31282 Short neck, 10mm thread
ASC31284 Long neck, 8mm thread
ASC31285 Long neck, 10mm thread

LOSA6016 Extra rigid ball cups GREY

trap121
13-12-2009, 02:01 AM
I ordered these ball studs because I was told I only needed 8mm

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUZ0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUZ3

These are the ball cups I ordered

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRB07
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEV20

Is this going to work????

blackstring
13-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Yep, either of those studs will work. The black are the short neck and the silver are the long. The long neck ones will have the same height as the originals so camber gain will be the same. You can use the short neck to play with camber gain or bump steer too.

The cups you have pictured there will work also, they are similar to RPM's plastic. These are the losi HD cups I'm talking about, they seem to be super hard compared to others. Either will work though :thumbsup:

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-21534/LOSA6016-Extra-Rigid-Ball/Detail

AmiSMB
14-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Just for anyone that is interested the Losi and AE ball stud diameter is around 4.27mm I reckon this is why HPI use 4.3mm. Being of the 4.3mm type you can use any ball end that will fir AE, Losi or HPI. The Durango ball stud is 4.47mm which is more similar to Kyosho 4.5mm size. Currently HPI and AE TC5 ball studs have a 3mm metric thread and will fit the Durango holes.

AmiSMB
17-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Schumacher ball studs are 4.3mm so I have got some of these from M K Racing and am going to try them with some J Concepts ball studs. Pictures to follow.

xchange
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys,

With the problem of the ball cup, any one tried to put a drop of cyano in the ball cup to reinforce the plastic of the ball cup?

Thanks

Rebelrc
24-06-2010, 09:25 PM
losi/associated b/studs wont fit as they are imperial

AmiSMB
25-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey Guys,

With the problem of the ball cup, any one tried to put a drop of cyano in the ball cup to reinforce the plastic of the ball cup?

Thanks

Just get the newer versions of the ball cups from Durango and it should now be fine as they have made the whole where the turnbuckle screws in slightly smaller which stops it from jumping threads.

AmiSMB
25-06-2010, 11:18 AM
losi/associated b/studs wont fit as they are imperial

Correct as you need ball studs that have a 3mm thread like Schumacher, HPI and the ones from Associated for the TC5. Trouble is the ball diameter are then different as I stated in an earlier post.

stegger
04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Has anybody had any problems with the small ball joints ( servo link and roll bar ) splitting ? About half of mine (NEW 2010 spec) have split and the rest are showing stress marks :( Can anybody tell me a substitute that can be used ? part no's would be great. :)
All the other ball joints look good :thumbsup:

pmes
05-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Yes, I had this prolem as well. I just built up a 2010 spec kit and ran into the same thing. I even tried reaming out the hole and they were still splitting open on me. Luckily I had some spares from an R kit.

I think the 2010 spec kit has better ends than the R kit for stiffness, however. You can even adjust the turnbuckle on the car, but I still haven't narrowed out the possibility that I will have to get some nitride balls from AE and those extra heavy duty LOSI ends.

mikeyscott
31-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Finding that the ball cups pop off on the 410R when I'm adjusting the turnbuckles.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ian F
31-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes I had the same problem with mine, it had it's first outing today and I was very impressed with it

lee stokes
31-10-2010, 07:09 PM
me too and loads of others
fitted schumacher balls and losi rod ends now works spot on.
i copied what a few other people had done

mikeyscott
31-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi,

What are the part number for the Losi bits?

Seen HPI and RPM mentioned too.

GRIFF55
31-10-2010, 07:41 PM
did you grease the thread before putting them into the ball ends? just a thought
Your car did look good ian, and drove real nice

mikeyscott
31-10-2010, 07:53 PM
did you grease the thread before putting them into the ball ends? just a thought
Your car did look good ian, and drove real nice

They were already built as I got the car, new but built. I'm tempted to strip them down and re-grease / check!

deepdale11
31-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi,

What are the part number for the Losi bits?

Seen HPI and RPM mentioned too.

I also use Schumacher balls and Losi rods (Losi A6016) they dont come off now!!

mikeyscott
31-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I also use Schumacher balls and Losi rods (Losi A6016) they dont come off now!!

Don't suppose you know the part number? .May try and get some Core RC ones.

Have people changed them on the steering arms too?

AmiSMB
31-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Schumacher ball studs and Losi HD (white) ends and have had no problems after that. In fact found that the XX4 Lunsford turnbuckles work as great replacements for the Durango and are much cheaper! I have only done the camber links not the steering links.

deepdale11
31-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't suppose you know the part number? .May try and get some Core RC ones.

Have people changed them on the steering arms too?

Part number of the Schumacher balls do you mean? I had some U2722 left and the Losi ends A6016, I have only changed the steering ones as for me there the only ones that have come off.....

mikeyscott
31-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Part number of the Schumacher balls do you mean? I had some U2722 left and the Losi ends A6016, I have only changed the steering ones as for me there the only ones that have come off.....

Got the prob with all of them, but going to strip down and grease and recheck in the mean time.

lee stokes
01-11-2010, 07:37 AM
i had the problem with all of them too
i used the losa6016 ball cups and sorry don't know the schumacher number got them loose

HyperFX
02-11-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm using Losi HD cups, and AE TC5 balls, (silver, and black), and have seen a definate improvement in performance, as well as durability. No stripping, no flex, no popping off. It's what the 410 is meant to be, now. I set the track record the first race after the upgrade. :)

cmgreen
02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Fabs suggested using Kyosho 97021H hard ball cup set, i am yet to get mine, will let you guys know how gud they are.

colin563
02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
im using rpm ball cups long ones and schumacher ball studs

im trying to find a cheaper replacement for the turnbuckles

anybody know of any part numbers

thanks colin

cmgreen
08-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Kyosho ones are a no go!!!!

simoncrabb
08-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I've got long RPM ball cups and 3racing balls on mine. The 3 racing balls seem to be HPI sized balls.

I know the Durango team all use the Durango ball ends with no real problems.

But, arguably they can drive and avoid ball-cup popping objects!

kaszal
25-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Hello, are there 4.3mm ball studs with a lower profile than the Schumacher ones, which are 6.3mm high? I have a clearance issue which a shorter stud might solve. Thank you.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m134/kaszal/IMG_2535edited.jpg

OneKiwi
11-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Now Im looking at replacing the balls and cups as this weekend we had a race.. all fine no probs till I get to the finals.. Ball cups flying left right and center.. dammit

So Q time has anyone tried drilling holes in the top of the cup like the TD ones have for easy removal of the stud while still attached?

Or is it that I don't have to worry about removing the cups a few times (for reasons other than crashing) and they become ruined and need replacing.

Thanks

mikeyscott
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
When I had my 410R I had HPI ball studs, can't remember part numners and Losi ball cups. Perfect, never had a problem. I never raced with the stock parts, replaced the ball studs and cups on day one etc.

Streetfighter-r
12-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Presuming these also fit the 210? I've yet to start build but these tips are invaluable! Thanks in advance

cigbunt
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
When I had my 410R I had HPI ball studs, can't remember part numners and Losi ball cups. Perfect, never had a problem. I never raced with the stock parts, replaced the ball studs and cups on day one etc.

+1 but on a 210

cyclone balls rango balls do fit but tight...

OneKiwi
26-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Anyone tested the

hot bodies cyclone D4 61582 ball studs 4.3x13mm??

thinking they should fit as the other ball studs that fit are 4.3mm

Streetfighter-r
29-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Just picked up the rpm long blue and tc5 studs, anyone using this combo? I only picked up enough for 1 set of studs so shall I prioritise steering or camber? I may use the existing TD studs with the rpm cups also...

EDIT: threads are way too short on the tc5 ball studs. Going to try jamming the TD balls into the rpm cups-should be interesting!
Cheers

OneKiwi
30-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Anyone find that the rpm cups free up after a while on the TD studs?

bender
30-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Anyone tested the

hot bodies cyclone D4 61582 ball studs 4.3x13mm??

thinking they should fit as the other ball studs that fit are 4.3mm

Yep, thats what I use on my car combined with the white Losi ball ends - works perfect :D

Chris-S
15-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Anyone find that the rpm cups free up after a while on the TD studs?

Did yours free up?

OneKiwi
15-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Not yet I was too impatient and took them off.
I did get a 4.7mm ball cup reamer from HK and started to ream one out but that quality too broke :cry:

Anyway so I ended up cutting a couple of slots in a TD ball stud and that helped to ream it out. Idealy would be squeezing it with a cutting tool/pliers so it creates a little burr or something that sticks out a little .

However I do think that they (RPMs) need to be deeper and sit further over the TD studs otherwise it seems like they don't really close up after mounting them and they pop off.

Im still going to try a couple of things

coleman758
15-08-2012, 11:25 AM
You can't use rpm ends on TD balls.
They are way to tight.

They bind the wishbone up, if you remove the shocks from the wishbone
The wishbones won't fall under there own weight.

Chris-S
15-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I have the hpi studs and losi grey cups, but would rather black cups, which losi doesnt do.

OneKiwi
15-08-2012, 11:32 AM
You can't use rpm ends on TD balls.
They are way to tight.

They bind the wishbone up, if you remove the shocks from the wishbone
The wishbones won't fall under there own weight.

Thats why I am trying to ream them out a little so they fit

jkclifford
15-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Now Im looking at replacing the balls and cups as this weekend we had a race.. all fine no probs till I get to the finals.. Ball cups flying left right and center.. dammit

So Q time has anyone tried drilling holes in the top of the cup like the TD ones have for easy removal of the stud while still attached?

Or is it that I don't have to worry about removing the cups a few times (for reasons other than crashing) and they become ruined and need replacing.

Thanks

I'm using 22 ball, cups and rods, I drilled a hole in the cups.

Hold the cup tight to a peice of wood drill through the cup, nice clean hole.

dpackster1980
17-08-2012, 06:51 PM
HPI ball studs plus Losi rigid ball cups.

They don't pop off and after 2 seasons still no play. The standard TD ones are woeful at best, they are like a wizards sleeve. You can't set camber accurately because of the horrendous play. It must be embarrassing after all the years in the business they still can't get it right.

jkclifford
17-08-2012, 07:14 PM
HPI ball studs plus Losi rigid ball cups.

They don't pop off and after 2 seasons still no play. The standard TD ones are woeful at best, they are like a wizards sleeve. You can't set camber accurately because of the horrendous play. It must be embarrassing after all the years in the business they still can't get it right.

There is no problem, there is a new material and no one has ever had a problem everyone on here must be hitting thins flatout 10 times a lap. TD ball joints are spot on, That's what I've been told.

Infact I'm going to take my losi ones off and put on some new TD ones.

dpackster1980
17-08-2012, 08:19 PM
There is no problem, there is a new material and no one has ever had a problem everyone on here must be hitting thins flatout 10 times a lap. TD ball joints are spot on, That's what I've been told.

Each man to there own, but the ones in my brand new 210 kit before it turned a wheel the play was ridiculous. They play meant setting camber was difficult, there was approximately 1deg worth of lateral slop.

I've been racing for over 17 years and they're the worst ballcups I've ever come come across! The ones that came with my Kyosho Raider had less play. :thumbdown:

OneKiwi
17-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I just ordered a set from amain so Im going to give them a try again, maybe not at the next race but definitely at the track next time.

I just hope that I got the ones with the new material

Fernandez
17-08-2012, 09:11 PM

and where does that comes from? has durango updated the materials of the HD cups??

is that a official durango statement on this?

I doubt it

dpackster1980
17-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I just ordered a set from amain so Im going to give them a try again, maybe not at the next race but definitely at the track next time.

I just hope that I got the ones with the new material

It's not the material its the profile between the ball and cup just dont match. Virtually no other manufacturer has had this many complaints. The only cars running standard TD balls and cups are more or less team drivers.

How many Durangos do you see with the standard balls and cups????? Not many!

TD can say there's nothing wrong with them until they're blue in the face but why so many want alternatives. TD before you fire cars out left, right and centre get the basics right. Ballcups can't be that hard for Christ sake.

JohnM
17-08-2012, 09:50 PM
The only cars running standard TD balls and cups are more or less team drivers.

How many Durangos do you see with the standard balls and cups????? Not many!

Mine has the std kit balls and HD cups, and has no problems with them coming off in anything other then a monster crash.

Their no worse then the ball and cups I've had on any other car I've raced in 25 years.

And I'm not a Team driver in any shape or form, but if an offer was made........;)

jaank
26-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Looking to replace the stuff on DEX210.
Will AE TC5 ball studs (ASC31284 and ASC31285) and Losi ballcups (LOSA6016)
with the stock turnbuckles? Or maybe Jconcepts cups?