PDA

View Full Version : PC Keyloggers

i4n
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
All,

I've had one instance fraudulent activity on PayPal (someone buying Toy 'R' Us stuff in the USA) and think I may have picked up a keylogger somewhere as I don't click on any emails etc. that appear in my emails.

I've run a scan with Kaspersky, Spybot - Search & Destroy as well as Malware Bytes and they've found nothing but I'm still a little worried (OK, very paraniod!)

Short of doing a clean install (which the laptop needs but I wasn't planning on doing just yet) is there anything else some of you computer wizards can suggest?

Cheers,

Ian

bigred5765
10-12-2009, 08:58 PM
change passwords

i4n
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry, forgot to say all passwords and secret questions have been changed :blush:

mikeyscott
10-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry as someone working in IT security I'd do a clean install. What AV have you got installed and does it include a virtual keyboard?

Also do you have more than one PC / laptop in the house? For example I do genera surfing and downloading from one. I do my finances from the other.

i4n
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Mikey,

You're backing up what I'm thinking. I'm in the process of backing up my documents to an external drive ready for the clean install.

I'm running Kaspersky 2009 Internet Security with Spybot - Search & Destroy running too. Neither of them (to my knowledge) have virtual keyboards. I can't find the Kaspersky disc for after the format, what free AV would you recommend?

I've only got the one laptop so I'm stuck with that.

mikeyscott
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Do you have the license for Kapersky? If you right click on the icon in the toolbar I think it'll come up with virtual keyboard..

You may be able to export the license in kapersky? Did you get it with the machine? 2009 license also allows you to run 2010 from what I've found.

Another option is to install virtual PC with and XP image running in that and do you banking in that.

Another security tip... Phone the credit card company every so often to say you've lost the card. Bingo new card number. I do that due to a lot of online shopping

The new Windows Security Essentials from Microsoft is free.

Novatech do Kapersky for peanuts as do overclockers.co.uk

i4n
10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Do you have the license for Kapersky? If you right click on the icon in the toolbar I think it'll come up with virtual keyboard..

I've got the licence, it's with the disc, wherever that is! You're correct on the virtual keyboard, didn't know that - I'll remember that for the future

You may be able to export the license in kapersky? Did you get it with the machine? 2009 license also allows you to run 2010 from what I've found.

I bought it separately, so I've got the disc somewhere, I just can't find it

Novatech do Kapersky for peanuts as do overclockers.co.uk

I'll have a shufty if I don't find the disc

i4n
10-12-2009, 09:59 PM
In the process of doing a clean install. Surfung oOe on the smart phone now!

Changed all important passwords again with the virtual keyboard before starting. Don't think I would have relaxed if I hadn't taken this option to be honest.

Although this probably does explain why the thing has been freezing about 5 min after I open Firefox for the past week...

Oh, found the disc in the end. The 2009 licence does work with 2010, you've just got to insatl 2010 over 2009.

Cheers for your help Mikey.

Ian.

mikeyscott
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM
In the process of doing a clean install. Surfung oOe on the smart phone now!

Changed all important passwords again with the virtual keyboard before starting. Don't think I would have relaxed if I hadn't taken this option to be honest.

Although this probably does explain why the thing has been freezing about 5 min after I open Firefox for the past week...

Oh, found the disc in the end. The 2009 licence does work with 2010, you've just got to insatl 2010 over 2009.

Cheers for your help Mikey.

Ian.

No worries. You should be able to do a straight install of 2010 and then enter the license key.

b4pete
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Buy a Mac

i4n
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
There's always one comedian isn't there.

Do me a favour mate, crawl back under the rock you came from. This could have been serious for me if they got my banking details,

MatJohnson
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
b4pete - You can still get viruses on a Mac, accept it!

Bellarc advisor will give you your kaspersky key.

As for a free AV program, Avira is the best detection for its hard drive/resource footprint. Chances are the password came from a different source (a forum getting hacked or something) rather than a keylogger. I've seen so many places recently that dont encrypt their passwords its getting a joke!

I've had my paypal done on christmas day before so I don't have any card details stored in it or bank details for that reason, if they get in, they can't spend anything!

i4n
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I found the Kaspersky disc and key code last night so that's not a problem anymore.

Did the format and install last night, just got the job of putting everything back on to look forward to over the weekend. It needed doing anyway as the PC was slower than a Sloth on Valium.

mikeyscott
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
b4pete - You can still get viruses on a Mac, accept it!

Bellarc advisor will give you your kaspersky key.

As for a free AV program, Avira is the best detection for its hard drive/resource footprint. Chances are the password came from a different source (a forum getting hacked or something) rather than a keylogger. I've seen so many places recently that dont encrypt their passwords its getting a joke!

I've had my paypal done on christmas day before so I don't have any card details stored in it or bank details for that reason, if they get in, they can't spend anything!

Yup I have seen that recently too. Running wireshark and the logs show passwords and usernames going over in clear text. Anyway forums are http sites and not https.... Another common issue is people using the same passwords for everything!

i4n
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Another common issue is people using the same passwords for everything!

I'm not that bad, I've got 5 or so different one's that I use. My PayPal password was the same as another forumI'm a member of - it's not now though!

DCM
11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Ian, did you just reinstall, format or data wipe your hard drive?

i4n
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Formatted

DCM
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
My experience is, that if there is a persistant malware/virus, they can be resillient to a format, as it only removes the location data of the malware/virus but doesn't remove it off the drive platter.

i4n
11-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I did a full format, not just a quick one. Hopfully all will be OK.

DCM
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
If you still get problems, download and use KillDisk, it overwrites every single part of your hardrive, 3 times, to obliterate any info on there.