PDA

View Full Version : FT B4 fr shocks!

Richard Law
13-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi, had a leaking front shocker the other week, so I stripped and rebuilt it ensuring the little White washers clipped into place, the car has had 30min use and it's leaking again!
Any solutions other than new shocks!
Thanks

Mike Hudson
13-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi, had a leaking front shocker the other week, so I stripped and rebuilt it ensuring the little White washers clipped into place, the car has had 30min use and it's leaking again!
Any solutions other than new shocks!
Thanks

Get a shock rebuild kit, should fix your leaking problem :thumbsup:
http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_49&products_id=591&%3CosCsid%3E

mattlynch
13-12-2009, 06:33 PM
had the same issues with both associated cars i have owned, the solution is as stated above to get a rebuil kit and the all important green slime and hope it works!! i tried it 9 times and then gave up and sold the b4 and tc4 ft's,
you guessed it i am not a fan of associated shocks, just one mans opinion though!!

Tom3012
13-12-2009, 06:41 PM
As said, Get a shock rebuild kit and some Associates green slime...

When rebuilding the shocks, put a small amount of green slime onto the plastic bag it came in, put your orange/red rubber o-rings in the slime, fold the bag and "work it round" for a bit so that the o-rings are covered with green slime...

Build shocks as per manual but take your time... Job done :thumbsup:

Richard Law
13-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated

Richard Law
13-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I've just been on the MK racing site and set up an accouunt then remembered i need to order some new screws for the front wheels, been told AS 6288, these dont come up on MK
Does anybody know a site i can buy the AE shock rebuild kit and the screws?

Big G
14-12-2009, 12:32 AM
green slime? I've never used this and never had any leaky shocks on the B44 or the SC10 and both of them have been over some pretty big jumps. maybe you nicked one of the rubber washers or something.

Ben Turner
14-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Green slime does help with rebuild life etc, but it wont cure a leaking shock. What I found helps is to take 0.5mm off the white bushing inbetween the o-rings, and then de-burr them. Read somewhere that its slightly too big and puts too much pressure on the seal assembly, Iv done this on the my B4 and they have never leaked. :thumbsup:

CODMAN
14-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Me too! Did this on my B4 and B44, never had a leak... With or without green slime... Just luck? Or sanding the washers? Whatever, Never had a problem...:thumbsup:

Green slime does help with rebuild life etc, but it wont cure a leaking shock. What I found helps is to take 0.5mm off the white bushing inbetween the o-rings, and then de-burr them. Read somewhere that its slightly too big and puts too much pressure on the seal assembly, Iv done this on the my B4 and they have never leaked. :thumbsup:

raine
14-12-2009, 02:03 PM
yeah build them the elvo way and they will never leak ;)

Cooper
15-12-2009, 09:52 AM
yeah build them the elvo way and they will never leak ;)

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/12/8/1.html

mattlynch
15-12-2009, 11:16 AM
good to see someone found out how to get the ae shox to hold on to there guts but thats alot of work just to get some dampers to work and rebuilds trackside will be a pain, i can build tamiya shox with my eyes shut in a couple of minutes and they NEVER leak, you pays your money and all that!

CODMAN
15-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but I don't rebuild them! :lol: Ok, maybe 1-2 a year, that's all... No leaks here...
Yup, the Elvo way is how I did mine!:thumbsup: Very happy with the results!

good to see someone found out how to get the ae shox to hold on to there guts but thats alot of work just to get some dampers to work and rebuilds trackside will be a pain, i can build tamiya shox with my eyes shut in a couple of minutes and they NEVER leak, you pays your money and all that!

mattlynch
15-12-2009, 12:18 PM
one thing i meant to mention above is that if you run your B4 outdoors in the filth ,fitting a harder 'o'ring to the bottom of the seal stack can help stop dirt ingress,,:)

cigbunt
26-06-2011, 09:54 AM
bumping an old thread rather than starting a new 1.. :p

mine are leaking is there anything i can do without a rebuild kit to hand??? grrrr...

cigbunt
27-06-2011, 02:48 PM
leaking has slowed/stopped.. after i refilled my shocks i put a tiny bit of moly grease in the bottom of the shaft hole lol...

going to test it see if it still leaking

fastinfastout
27-06-2011, 04:55 PM
I cannot believe how dumb AE are that they cannot perfect suspension building.......after all this time........

coolcars782
27-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I cannot believe how dumb AE are that they cannot perfect suspension building.......after all this time........

I build mine as per manual and they are prefect, no leaking.

The V2 shocks are good, and easier- and don't leak :lol:

cigbunt
27-06-2011, 06:02 PM

i didnt build mine so i cant comment i dont know the history... i just wanted a solution without a rebuild kit....

i guess any moving part is prone to wear/tear and failure..