PDA

View Full Version : MBX6 Brushless conversion ???

jackson.55
16-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Guys

Any one were I can get hold of a brushless conversion kit for My MBX6 . Mainly the motor mount I’m after . But any help would be great

Many thanks karl jackson

mambamax
16-12-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmmbx6tsckit

jasonwipf
16-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Or if you do not want to have to remove the center diff to easily adjust the gear mesh, change pinions or service the motor you can get.

http://www.elitercd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=2

I have used both mounts on my MBX6E and the difference is HUGE!
the Elite mount also has a space to put an optional extra bearing (size the same as a gas clutch bell bearing) to distribute wear, load and stress to prolong the life of your more expensive motor bearing, as well as itself acting as a dust guard to the original bearing. This mount is strong as a rock and the motor actually stays put better than the RC monster mount. Motor swaps are a breeze too. Just be sure to get either the Robinson racing or HPI shorter pinions for that Elitercd motor mount.

Then the RC Monster battery trays break alot. (buddy & I went thru 5 of them at over $250usD to learn that lesson). If you got a Associated, Losi, Kyosho or Ofna hyper 9E battery tray for about $15 USD (haven't broke one of them yet), your still getting better quality mount and tray cheaper than that RC monster combo.

Marvin
16-12-2009, 06:14 PM
But, as a counter-argument (for some balance), The RC-Monster mount is quite a bit cheaper. Also, I've NEVER had any problems with the RC-Monster battery trays, either I'm lucky, or there's something you just aren't doing right. Obviously, there can't be much of an issue with them, as they are still very popular, and aren't moaned about - unlike the Losi battery tray.

I do like the Elite-RCD motor mount though - very nice. The guy has taken Mike's ideas and made a nice few improvements to the design. I particularly like the bearing idea.

lambchops
16-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I have the rc monster mount in my mbx5 (same mount) and its spot on, plus you get a lovely alloy servo top tray included!! Bargain

adrictan
25-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a Elite Motor mount on my truggy. It's a worthwhile buy. Good luck. RCM Conversions are pretty good. My frds uses them.

jasonwipf
25-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Did a series of pinion testing on my elite mount earlier this week and the slide out motor feature of the elite was the best. when I do pinion and mesh adjusting on my RCM mount I have to take off the center diff to access the screws there. 6 screws vs. 2. Big help. That servo tray is ok but on my MBX5 I mount my receiver on top the servo since there is not alot of space and the holes on that aluminum tray doesnt allow me to stick stuff. But its a nice $5 ebay item.

tcmodels
17-01-2010, 02:48 AM
can get it from here
http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&vmcchk=1&Itemid=71

Marvin
17-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Edit: Now shows correct link.

tcmodels
18-01-2010, 01:56 AM
here here
http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=408&category_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71

ojoloco
18-01-2010, 03:52 AM
I would go with the Elite motor mount and RC-Monster MBX6 battery tray.

jasonwipf
18-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I would go with the Elite motor mount and RC-Monster MBX6 battery tray.

nice combo

BRS
19-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Right Marvin!! :D

I purchased your old rx8 off Jamie and I'm going to convert my current MBX6 to leccy power.

I like the look of the Elite motor mount but obviously need more than just that.
Your old Rx8 combo is with the 1700kv motor so I guess you ran that on 5S... is the 5S a bit bloomin heavy, what pinion size did you run?

I see a very nice looking conversion of an MBX6 here http://www.elitercd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63%3Abrandon-wong&catid=1%3Alatest-news&Itemid=27

looks like a losi reciever box/servo mount I'd like to have the reciever in a box like that not keen on having it mounted al fresco that adjustable battery tray also looks the dogs!!

Marvin
19-01-2010, 06:32 PM
There are some nice ideas there, but I'm not keen on the battery tray in my opinion - one strap - no matter how big - isn't enough in my opinion. Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I'm not keen.

5S is only heavy if you have a big one!

How long do you need it to run for?

I'd get:
Option 1
-Elite RCD motor mount
-RC-Monster MBX6 Battery tray (pre drilled for RX8 to mount to the back)

Option 2
-RC-Monster MBX6 Conversion kit (includes Rx mount + servo mount)

The Rest
-Slipperential
-Tekin RX8 with 1700KV motor
-Hyperion VX 5S 3300mAh battery (for 10-15 minutes run time on the track)

I wouldn't worry about the Rx being exposed - look at 1/10th! Not only that - are you going to run it when it's wet? Risking that ESC and battery?

Or, stick the Rx in a balloon - like the good ol' days.

BRS
20-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok the penny is finaly starting to drop on this battery/motor/runtime/weight stuff...

I imagined one cell to weigh X but its totaly dependant on the rating.

I like the look of enclosed radio box Marv but take your point on the strap for the sake of doing two.

Will a Monster tray fit most 5S batteries do they come with the straps?

In reality is the monster mount mesh adjustment that much of a problem?

Marvin
20-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't find it much of an issue - just take the centre diff out completely (4 screws), and you have unrivalled access to the mesh - you can see it far better than on a nitro, and makes meshing very easy. The Elite is quicker, but the RCM is hardly slow - I took much longer doing my nitro mesh than the electric.

The RC-M tray is 50x145mm - which should be large enough for almost any battery (mainly length restricted though). They can also do a custom job which'll be the exact right size for your pack - this is how I've always had my trays - to exactly fit a certain battery. They do come with straps.

For reference - here's the Hyperion data sheet. (http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/G3-Specs-EN.pdf)

Also, you must remember that the Elite 'Conversion' was something that Mr Elite (Brandon Wong) made for a friend, only the motor mount is available yet as far as I know. There's nothing stopping you from using the Losi's radio box on your conversion, or the RCM box for the D8/T conversion. (http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmd8rxbx)

On a slight off topic note, look how nice the new XT8 conversion is! (http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmxt809chassis) Drools....

hide
20-01-2010, 02:50 PM
A friend of mine got Elite to make him up a mount for his RC8e, I've seen it and it is one fine piece of work. Would highly recommend one.

jasonwipf
21-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Ya the RCM mount is hard to get mesh right cuz when you tighten the screws the twisting action moves the motor messing up the mesh you just lined ups. The Elite does not and is only one screw (you can use 2 on top but believe me not necessary). Not to mention so easy take motor off if you want to change it, service bearings or just clean under your motor.

THe RCM new mount that allows you to service diff is nice function. But I tend to change pinions (once per week or 2) to tune for a track more than I change center diff oil. With my Elite mount i have to take off 6 screws verses the 4 with the RCM mount for diff removal so not a big deal when I change diff oil once every 1-3 months.

BRS
21-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't find it much of an issue - just take the centre diff out completely (4 screws), and you have unrivalled access to the mesh - you can see it far better than on a nitro, and makes meshing very easy. The Elite is quicker, but the RCM is hardly slow - I took much longer doing my nitro mesh than the electric.

The RC-M tray is 50x145mm - which should be large enough for almost any battery (mainly length restricted though). They can also do a custom job which'll be the exact right size for your pack - this is how I've always had my trays - to exactly fit a certain battery. They do come with straps.

For reference - here's the Hyperion data sheet. (http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/G3-Specs-EN.pdf)

Also, you must remember that the Elite 'Conversion' was something that Mr Elite (Brandon Wong) made for a friend, only the motor mount is available yet as far as I know. There's nothing stopping you from using the Losi's radio box on your conversion, or the RCM box for the D8/T conversion. (http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmd8rxbx)

On a slight off topic note, look how nice the new XT8 conversion is! (http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmxt809chassis) Drools....

Thats XT8 looks the shizznit foreal :D

BRS
26-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I've ordered the Monster MBX6 kit (std battery tray) and a Kyosho plastic 46t spur. Not sure if that fits straight on the Mugen diff but it was only $5 so just ordered it at the same time.

I've got the RX8 1700kv combo coming from Jamie on here and as I'll be bashing about with this as well for a start I ordered a Zippy 5S 5000mh 30c pack (cheap!) I know its a bit heavy but it doesnt bother me for now. I'd prob get a 2500-3000mh pack to race it to get it to a better weight.

A losi radio tray is about £15 I fancy mounting the servo and reciever in that front section of that like that Elite fellas done.

I didnt order a sliperential is it likely I'll brake motors?

:D

Marvin
26-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Erm, no guarantee about the rotors - I'd have a slipperential as added piece of mind - it allowed me to calm down (and not be so on edge worrying that this corner would be the last...) - so I got my best result ever - 4th in A Final after 20 minutes and only ~20s behind 1st place. I'd recommend it for UK tracks if using the T8 motor. If your local track is closer to a US track, then you have less to worry about.

The Zippy will be fine for testing - when you've got some good run time figures from that, then you know what capacity you'd need to get different run times. E.G: If the 5000mAh 5S pack nets you 25 minutes on the track (very different from bashing - I got about 1.8x the run time when bashing), then to do 15 minutes you'd only need a pack with 60% of the capacity - so a 3000mAh pack.

jasonwipf
26-01-2010, 11:20 PM
I ordered a Zippy 5S 5000mh 30c pack (cheap!) I know its a bit heavy but it doesnt bother me for now. I'd prob get a 2500-3000mh pack to race it to get it to a better weight.

For buggy yes that may be pretty heavy.

I was forced to be creative last weekend on a very looming track running my new mbx6t with a castle 2200 motor that was getting terrible milage during my practice runs and my math was telling me I was not going to make a 15 min race with my 5000k 4s set up. So, I paralleled 2x 3700 4s packs together for a whooping 7400mah. This thing was huge and heavy. I thought it would really slow me down and it did feel a bit more brick like on the track but with only 1 crash for 15min main I beat out several team drivers and pulled a 1st place win. The Truggies are just more weight forgiving.

Marvin
26-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Truggies are definately easier to set up with a brushless conversion - more space for all the bits allows you to mount stuff exactly where you want. The truggy also takes the weight better.

BRS
28-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Was looking at the MBX6 chassis last night with the 5S lipo sat ontop and thought... I wonder if it'll be possible to do away with the side guards and either get a narrow body from a D8e to fit or make a narrow Mugen one... hmmmm

I wouldnt mind a bash at making a body anyone had any experience of making a plug?

Hmm looking again on monster the side guard needs to be on the battey side not enough room...

BRS
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Anyone know if the Kyosho mod1 plastic spur fits the MBX6 diff?

Marvin
08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
It probably will, but will need some filing/modification.