PDA

View Full Version : additional electronics placement

hockeyhead019
20-12-2009, 03:57 AM
hey guys,

ok two questions, first is i want to install a capacitor for my 1/8 buggy so i want to know what size i should consider and where i should attach it (pics would be great) and second i have a novak fan which i wanna use to push air across my batts so where would i wire that in?

any help is appreciated thanks

cheers,

Jim

HarlowS
20-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Before getting the Tekin RX8 i used a 32v 2200uf cap straight across the positive and negative of the speedo terminals. Regarding the fan you will need to wire that to a 6v/7.2v part of your system. Maybe the power that feeds the receiver or even from an aux connection on your receiver.

Hope that helps.

jasonwipf
20-12-2009, 07:34 PM
your lipo getting that hot? my 25c lipo rarely brakes 30cel (85F) after a 10min run. and i know most of the pros use coffee warming plates to get their lipos above 37Cel (100F) so they run better.

but if you have to use fans, those novak fans brake alot since they are mag lev. The ball bearing fans from http://www.buyextras.com/fanscooling.html are cheaper than most in the RC world and you should be able to find your favorite size with ball bearings.

also dont discount cutting a U shaped vent upwards to vent air down from the body. Or you could try 2-3 smaller [ [ [ shaped fins too so they dont snag on anything and look better. I tell ya, venting in 10-40mph air from a body has always cooled my electronics better than a 5-7mph fan that consumes electricity, money & brake every few races. and if your stopped or below 10mph, heck your not producing enough heat to worry much anyways. LOL if your in Philly you shouldnt even worry about temps (check your gearing or setups) we only use fans on on our esc in the 100F summers here in Texas and no fans in the winter.

I ended up just fitting a losi 8E body on my Mugen so it has clearance for wires and taller battery packs plus great venting.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p134/jasonwipf/mbx6losi3.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p134/jasonwipf/mbx6losi.jpg

Marvin
20-12-2009, 09:30 PM
hey guys,

ok two questions, first is i want to install a capacitor for my 1/8 buggy so i want to know what size i should consider and where i should attach it (pics would be great) and second i have a novak fan which i wanna use to push air across my batts so where would i wire that in?

any help is appreciated thanks

cheers,

Jim

Ok, generally, using a few smaller capacitors would be better than using one large one (higher surface area for heat dissipation). I'm currently using 3 220uF 35V caps on my Mamba Max Pro. The general rule is to match the capacitance of the ESC with the additional capacitors. The MMP has a total of 660uF capacitance, that are rated for 35V, so you'd want to match this figure with additional capacitors.

As HarlowS says, you need to connect each capacitor IN PARALLEL with the main battery input of the ESC. (IE, +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve).

Disclaimer: If you need a fan to keep your set-up running, then either something is wrong, your set-up isn't great, or something isn't coping. You shouldn't need any fans, they are installed on ESCs to allow the components to last longer (cooler will mean that the electrical components will last longer), but they shouldn't be required. If you rely on fans, and one fails, something will go.

Plug the fan into the battery port of your Rx if you have a 6V fan. However, other voltage fans may need to go elsewhere. If you could match the voltage of the fan with the input voltage (so a 12V fan for 3S), then you could wire it in parallel with the ESC input wires like the capacitors. The 6V fan would be easier though...