PDA

View Full Version : XXX-CR Diff-iculty!

philly
11-05-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm having a bit of bother with the diff on my xxx-cr, in that it's slipping way too much, or not at all! If I go by the adjustment suggested in the manual, it's so loose it slips under normal acceleration. If I tighten it right down and then back it off I find I have only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn before its sloppy. Is this right. The car is fairly new, probably about 8 club meetings so wear shouldn't be an issue. I guess I'm just not sure how much 'give' the diff should have...

Southwell
11-05-2007, 07:42 AM
You should get the diffing effect when it's about 1-1.5 turns loose, but it wont be tight enough. General rule of thumb is fully tighten and then back off 1/8th of a turn, then check. If the adjustment is either slipping or too tight then take it apart and i'd replace the diff rings and check the trust race and diff balls for any rounding. If you ran it slipping then you could of damaged them.

bert digler
11-05-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm having a bit of bother with the diff on my xxx-cr, in that it's slipping way too much, or not at all! If I go by the adjustment suggested in the manual, it's so loose it slips under normal acceleration. If I tighten it right down and then back it off I find I have only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn before its sloppy. Is this right. The car is fairly new, probably about 8 club meetings so wear shouldn't be an issue. I guess I'm just not sure how much 'give' the diff should have...

ive adjust diffs in very tiny steps say 1/32 of a turn try that until its right also use recommended grease as some stuff just slips forever;)

Barry Williams
11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I had this with my sons car a while ago, the thrust race was damaged (probably because i over tightened it). I would suggest that you take your diff apart & check the thrust race. Since replacement there has been no prob at all.

Barry

Southwell
11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
O and when you put the diff in, tighten up the slipper all the way and check the diff, you should need a fair amount of force to make it slip, if it 'squarks' over bumps then it's too loose, but not majorly loose. Remember if it slips for a whole race then it's getting hot and the diff lube is going to go warm and not work correctly, and i would rebuild it.
They have a spring too don't they? Their cheap enough to replace..

philly
11-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Thank you. I'll strip it down and have a look.Hopefully it will be something and nothing!Cheers