PDA

View Full Version : B4RS - Anything I should know/change?

Beanie
24-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Guys,

Just got myself a bog standard B4RS, seems all fine, but was wondering if, lke most models in my experience, there are any things that I need to tweak/modify or hop-up straight away? Mostly going to be used indoors on floor/carpet and then sometimes some jumps indoors too.

Any advice for setup, diff/slipper and tyres for using it on a smooth floor to stop it from simply spinning and changing ends, have some grip and to ensure it will steer?

Currently just using the Reedy 17t that it came with, and a Nimh pack.

steelie600
24-12-2009, 03:28 PM
tyres minipins
throw servo in the bin its shyte ace or savox will do
speedo has a slow start up so may be worth changing esc, if you do tho i recommend losi xcelorin brushless
and blue springs at front red at rear 35w front oil 30w rear and get the anti roll bar kit and use the gold bar.

I use the same car and love it to death and can make it go around as fast as any factory team and defo faster than the 4wds at ribble. Trouble is with it being 2wd its hard to be consistant but by god its so much faster when you get it right

Beanie
24-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Cracking, thanks Ken, any advice for a diff setting...is the general rule that for high grip then you tighten it, loosen it for low grip situations?

As for a steering servo, isn't an ACE a bit OTT perhaps for the Torque? Is there maybe a cheaper, fast servo that isn't quite as high torque?

Any advice/link on what wheels/tyres to get for 'mini pins'? Do I need mini pins up front for a shiny floor too, or will the standard ribs be OK and then mini pins on the back?

steelie600
24-12-2009, 06:36 PM
i rin on carpet but i do beleive minipins can be used on shiny floors too, unsure on slipper just set it so you feel happiest with it, i run mine quite loose it stops it wheelying itself to death. my servo is one of the savox £28ers more than adequate but as you already know better servos work better

Beanie
24-12-2009, 07:13 PM
This looks pretty good for the money, very fast and pretty decent torque too: http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/BMS-661MGHS.html

or maybe even this? http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/CR057.html

Running the Brushed 17t motor that came with it for the moment, I have plans for BL/Lipo but not just yet! I'm guessing that's when I need to start thinking of extra weight and brass bulkheads like I've seen on others? Are these necessary when running brushed/nimhs?

sparrow.2
25-12-2009, 07:23 AM
No need to put extra weight in until you go for lipos.

Set the diff as per instructions. Loosening or tightening the diff isn't really a tuning option. You set it so it doesn't slip and all adjustments are made through the slipper clutch.

Things to buy first would be a spring kit, a set of pistons and some shock oil in varying weights along with a set of the tyres being used by everyone else at the club.

Beanie
30-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Cheers guys, would these fit the standard AE rear rims? They look to be the best bet for shiny floor running: http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?recnumber=47547

I'll get the spring kits too....

sparrow.2
30-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Yes, they will fit just fine. Don't forget to get foam inserts as the tyres don't come with any.

Beanie
30-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, they will fit just fine. Don't forget to get foam inserts as the tyres don't come with any.

I was going to use the foams inside the original tyres...that should be OK won't it?

sparrow.2
30-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Best to ask around who is driving what and buy accordingly. The original inserts could be a tad soft but definitely better than none. I cut my own inserts out of hard-ish foam.