PDA

View Full Version : My rb5 has no low speed steering : (

Colinevan
13-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Gave my Rb5 a run today at southport, To be honest the weather wasnt the best and we had a wet track for the most of the day :(.

Now, for the technical sections at southport that need to be taken at low speed, the rb5 was hard work, this was also apparent on the concrete sections whereby if you accelerated ( even slightly ( the car would push on in a straight line almost). I did however find that the faster corners could be driven ok, but were best when they were driven eggressively, its just the low speed ones, whereby you slow right down, then need a small amount of power just to take the car around the track :p

My setup, includes the 25 degree front kickup, New yellow minispikes ( full not cut ), 50 wt oil, however with kit springs so its not too hard.

First of all though, would puttting a hole in my wheel ( front ) improve the front end tyre grip ? I normally run holes in them, however i once found that when i had a b4, it suited me better not to have any holes in the front? I never queried this, just carried on using this method?

Lastly has anyone had the fortune to experiment with the setups and found something thats a nice feel to start with?

I am going to change to a softer oil - 30s perhaps and may even try using 4wd front tyres, - as the rims are wide. Has anyone also tried to run 4wd front tyres?

Thanks.

Col.

metalhead10
13-05-2007, 08:42 PM
is your diff too tight so it basically understeers ???
just a thought

Colinevan
13-05-2007, 08:56 PM
No , not at all, the diff is really free.

Col.:cool:

jimmy
13-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Stu had to do a bit of work to get the car steering, the rear has a lot of grip - but the car is very good now. Hopefully we'll get a setup up soon

PaulRotheram
14-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Colin, yellows in the wet don't work at southport, your problem is tyres. you NEED green schumy minispike fronts, ballistic rears with snee/losi firm inserts.

90% of your set up is tyres, 10% is the car.. get the right tyres and your on to a winner.

Moose
14-05-2007, 08:11 PM
a good set up is 90% tire but if you have a bad set up the best tire wont help you.

does anyone have the adachi or pavidis basic set up ?
jimmy have you found a good set up jet? hope i get my car soon

PaulRotheram
14-05-2007, 08:16 PM
indeed yes. .but it dosnt help that southport goes very greasy and low grip in the wet, the astro still has moss on the surface.. sort the tyres out dood.

Colinevan
15-05-2007, 04:47 PM
indeed yes. .but it dosnt help that southport goes very greasy and low grip in the wet, the astro still has moss on the surface.. sort the tyres out dood.

Cheers paul , new tyres should be ordered by tommorrow. Early on in the day though, there was a dry track, it was still struggling but i do need to experiment. At practise, i had a go on Chris Evisons B4 just to see how his went around ( its been a while since i drove a 2wd lol ) his was fine, he also had a go on the rb5 and suggested a few changes, i mainly altered the suspension positions with craig's advice and it helped but i still think its a long way off being as fluent as a b4 on slow tight corners.

You can have a blast on it next time im at southport. In the meantime, im going to get some weights to stick on the front as to try and imprrove things. I also noted that the front tyres, have no wear on them whatsoever, perhaps by loading it up a little on the front i can generate more low speed grip.

Thanks

Col.

PaulRotheram
15-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I'll check it out next time i'm there, although it is likely to be the GP as this weekend im at bury for practise, weekend after it NW bury regional then the gp.. then the bury nat.

If you come to bury nw regional i'll be there, and no doubt stu will be there also.

DanW
15-05-2007, 09:10 PM
hmmm,

50wt oil in the front sounds massively over damped for 2wd.

I wouldn't start adding weight to the car yet, thats a final tweak after every thing else is exhausted. You always have the option of moving the cell position.

Get the feel of the shocks something like first, then maybe look at your front camber link positions to see how the front of the car is rolling into corners.

As paul says you need the right tyres. I ran greens in the last 2 rounds and final. For the final I had to soften the car up alround for some extra grip.... but in the damp/wet conditions even with the right tyres and setup there is very little grip and a lot comes down to driving style.

Running 2 cars on one day is tricky, switching from controlable 4wd to low grip 2wd... its hard to switch driving style.