PDA

View Full Version : cameras anad rain.

telboy
14-05-2007, 09:04 AM
How robust are most cameras against rain?

I'm assuming its not ideal to use them in the rain, but that they can take a certain amount.?

telboy
20-05-2007, 08:33 PM
hmm. not very then?

jimmy
20-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Depends what camera you are talking about

http://www.northernracer.com/kiddy4.jpg

Some bodies are weather shielded - but you'd have to look it up really. Stuff like rubber around / inside where the buttons are. rubber around the flash card cover. Lenses depend again on what lens it is. I used one at the weekend in the rain which afaik wasn't water tight, but it was OK. the camera body was water tight tho so I didn't care about that.
Usually I try and give it a nice toweling and maybe some car aircon to dry it out after.

The camera above loves the rain though - came out nice and clean too!

mole2k
20-05-2007, 10:13 PM
As jimmy says some cameras are weather proofed like the canon 1 series cameras (both film and digital, 1v,/1D).

My 20d isnt weather sealed but I have used it in some pretty extreme conditions before and never had any problems with water, just make sure you get it nicely dried afterwards.

telboy
20-05-2007, 10:16 PM
thanking you.:)

jimmy
20-05-2007, 10:42 PM
If my stuff does get wet I will usually stick it in the boiler cupboard for a few days also to make sure its totally dry.

My big Canon lens which IS sealed, got a lot of moisture inside a while ago which fogged up the lens and made it unusable. I was a bit scared since it just wouldn't go. It took a couple of days but it dried out fine.

mole2k
20-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I remember once having a 70-300 nikkor that got soaked on extremely wet evening which i forgot to bring into the house, arrived the next day and there was water everywhere inside it, brought it into the house and left it for a few days with the boiler and it was fine. I had expected some residue on the elements but it all cleared up fine.

MK999
20-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Reminds me of when I cleaned my keyboard with a hosepipe, made random key strokes when it was still damp, but soon as it was dry it was fine, also the look on my dads face when he found me hosing down the keyboard was classic :D

BenG
21-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Reminds me of when I cleaned my keyboard with a hosepipe, made random key strokes when it was still damp, but soon as it was dry it was fine, also the look on my dads face when he found me hosing down the keyboard was classic :D

hmmm :D:D:D:D

Try adding some fairy liqud too, and a bit of ajax to really clean it off ;):D