PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Guru?

Lee
16-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Northy

Seen as you are "the meat" when it comes to fluid dynamics there is one thing i have been thinking about, now if we can make out fluid flow through the pistons in a laminar flow rather than turbulent then surely they will work more efficiently. I have thought also that if we tapered the holes slightly (but not open the holes any wider, Hard to do i know) then i think this would work to a point?:rolleyes:

I dont know if this has been tried before or maybe i am just talking crap, what are your thoughts or findings?

Lee

MattADH
16-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Xray already have tapered pistons for their 1:8 rallycross buggy

Lee
16-05-2007, 09:29 AM
There was me thinking i was clever:D

What were the findings then?

Chris Doughty
16-05-2007, 09:42 AM
turbulant flow is a tuning aid.

its not a matter of making them work more 'efficiently' turbulant flow is good to help 'soft' damping pack up when landing a big jump.

small holes + light oil work well on tracks with big jumps.

big holes heavy oil work well on 'rippled' tracks

Lee
16-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok cheers chris,

So there is no point in tapering a hole?

Chris Doughty
16-05-2007, 10:00 AM
if you think it would give you what you wanted...

personally, I can reduce pack (or turbulant flow) enough using heavier oils and bigger holes for what I need.

Lee
16-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I understand chris,

I imagine if the car has extra weight then the shocks would "pack" easier maybe this would be the reason why Xray use them on the 1/8th cars?

elvo
16-05-2007, 12:19 PM
A taper on one side gives asymmetric damping. (lighter on rebound, or vice versa) Which feels funny when used on the front end of a 2WD.
On the rear, light bump and heavy rebound damping keeps the rear end planted, but makes it more difficult to get jumps right.

After a bazillion experiments, I'm still not sure whether it's a good thing to have tapered or chamfered holes or not. All I know is that it's NOT good to mix them with normal, straight holes.

Chrislong
16-05-2007, 03:19 PM
How about holes drilled at 45 degree's, so making the oil swirl in the shock as the piston moves through the oil?

Personally, im happy with less complications and im comfortable with the convension shocks - until something is found which clearly thrashes it ofcause.

Chris