PDA

View Full Version : ps3 repair

budgio
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Is there anyone here who can repair PS3,s ?
Mine takes disks in but has stopped reading any media so it looks as though it needs and new blu-ray drive.Its out of warranty and Sony want £129 for a replacement console with a 3month warranty :thumbdown:

Otherwise it,ll be in the for sale section/Ebay soon

Battle_axe
03-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Is there anyone here who can repair PS3,s ?
Mine takes disks in but has stopped reading any media so it looks as though it needs and new blu-ray drive.Its out of warranty and Sony want £129 for a replacement console with a 3month warranty :thumbdown:

Otherwise it,ll be in the for sale section/Ebay soon

silly question have you tried a lens cleaner?

budgio
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Tried everything mate its deffo a dead drive.:(

Battle_axe
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Tried everything mate its deffo a dead drive.:(

does it spin the disk up at all?

Dazzler
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Just watched a pretty good how to on you tube, looks really straight forward to do the replacement, but if you try and find a replacement drive to do it yourself, you're looking around £90. So really, £129 doesn't seem bad. Let face it, you're not going to get a new PS3 for that. If it were just the Laser at fault, the job becomes a lot more in depth, but still you're looking £40 - £70 for parts and it still might not fix..

Battle_axe
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Just watched a pretty good how to on you tube, looks really straight forward to do the replacement, but if you try and find a replacement drive to do it yourself, you're looking around £90. So really, £129 doesn't seem bad. Let face it, you're not going to get a new PS3 for that. If it were just the Laser at fault, the job becomes a lot more in depth, but still you're looking £40 - £70 for parts and it still might not fix..

well its the laser or the controler chip that drives the motor and stepper for the laser carage

budgio
03-01-2010, 10:13 PM

The drive does not spin up, it will take the disk in and eject ok .The console still does everything else so i can still play my downloaded games Battlefield1943/Wipeout HD etc,its just sooooo annoying and only just out of warranty.Not sure what to do with it...

Battle_axe
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
The drive does not spin up, it will take the disk in and eject ok .The console still does everything else so i can still play my downloaded games Battlefield1943/Wipeout HD etc,its just sooooo annoying and only just out of warranty.Not sure what to do with it...
will it play cds or ps2/1 games? it sounds like a laser to me

budgio
03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
It wont detect any disks of any sort :(

Battle_axe
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
and your sure it wont spinn up at all even for a small amount of time?

budgio
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
It is a dead parrot.

Battle_axe
03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
It is a dead parrot.
ring sony and tell them you have done a update and it died after it should be free of charge

hashiriya
04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
See if you can get a cheap PS£ which has broken due to YLOD. then take the drive from that and put it in yours. I had a similar issue and made 1 working one out of 2 broken ones.

Marvin
04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
How long ago did you buy it and do you still have the receipt/proof of purchase (credit card slips etc)?

budgio
04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I have no receipt,i had it off someone who got it from their mobile phone deal in Nov 2008.

Marvin
04-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Ah, I'm not going to be of much help then...

Good luck with repairs/getting Sony to help - but I doubt that there would be any retail Blu-Ray drive that fits/is compatible for any less than Sony have quoted you for a reconditioned one.

Check this, cheapest Blu-Ray drive is £55, and won't be compatible with the PS3 (probably). (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?sortby=&groupid=&search=Blu+Ray)

Battle_axe
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
i repaired one for a freind and the BR drive is hard coded into the firmwere of the ps3 so you can only swap out the laser and the motor control ic's not allot else i would ring sony and see what they will do it wasnt after a update was it? my other freind had one replaced free of charge with no recipt

budgio
05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Decided to put it on ebay its now in the for sale section.