PDA

View Full Version : lipo charger

dan_kitty
22-05-2007, 10:33 AM
hi, ive just got a good deal on a trakpower lipo pack and am now looking for a charger, the team orion avioncs looks cheap and cheerfull. Is this a decent charger or do i need to fork out for something a bit more fancy?

any advice appreciated
ta dan

mark christopher
22-05-2007, 10:55 AM
that will work fine as its very similar to the one jimmy reviewd in his trakpower review.see here > http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewtrakpowerlipo/

i would also recomend the trakpower balancer, this will be a far better upgrade that a dearer charger

dan_kitty
22-05-2007, 11:01 AM
cheers, I assume balancing is similar to equalising as with the nimh's. Would I need to have the trakpower balancer or would any make of balancer surfice? How often should the packs be balanced?

ta

mark christopher
22-05-2007, 12:26 PM
cheers, I assume balancing is similar to equalising as with the nimh's. Would I need to have the trakpower balancer or would any make of balancer surfice? How often should the packs be balanced?

ta the balancer is not a nesesity, it just gets the best from the cells for longer.
the trackpower is designed to work with the pack and has all the needed wires, others may reguire leads making up.when u have one use it all the time i do, but trakpower have a pack out on trial that has had over 100 cycles and its never been balanced and is still going strong as tho it was new.
it simply keeps the two cells balanced to each other much as equalizing .

craigosh
22-05-2007, 01:42 PM
i've got the orion avionics charger and the trakpower balancer. Works sweet, and my trakpower pack is always uber powerful. So a big thumbs up for that combo.

cheers
craig

dan_kitty
22-05-2007, 02:11 PM
nice, im feeling a little excited now. any news on trakpower saddle packs yet?

mark christopher
22-05-2007, 02:50 PM
not yet, just told em about the roar class so that should help speed it up, as more chance of them becoming legal

craigosh
22-05-2007, 05:22 PM
if they make the saddle mark, reckon they could leave a space in the case to add weights to bring them up to the same as a nimh?? I'd love a saddle for the BJ4 but its a little crampt for space to add the 200g, even with the single 50g wheel weights i've got!!!!

dan_kitty
29-05-2007, 09:41 PM
yea, my trakpower v balancer and orion charger arrived today, so i am charging the pack for the first time right now. Ive set it to charge via the link setting on the balancer, is this the best way to use the unit. Or is it better to balance once charged . I guess it doesnt matter but just checking.

I got the cheap little avionics charger (the one with just 2 leds and start button) and therefore had to solder male corralys to its output and females to the balancers input so probably have voided the warranties, but it seems to be working

silly question now, the trakpower battery comes in a clear heatsink I can take it off right?

ta
dan

mark christopher
29-05-2007, 09:50 PM
use it in link mode then its constantly balancing your cells

you can but the case may come apart and the heat sink holds is together, only a small piece of double sided tape hold the cell to the case, if poss keep the heat shrink in place if it has to come off then tape round the edge along the joint with some good tape

dan_kitty
29-05-2007, 10:41 PM
ok cheers, good job i asked i was going to take it off to make it look more bling bling.

ta

mark christopher
30-05-2007, 07:40 AM
you can do either but as you have it you may as well make the most of it