PDA

View Full Version : 1/18th F1 and F2 cub rules?

mc_mclovin
16-01-2010, 04:35 PM
hi guys

I'm Martin, and am looking at coming along to your club in the near future and race in your 1/18th class.

I've been waiting for the club rules on these cars before purchasing, and havent been able to find any on your website.....so, just wondered when they are going to be released? Dont wanna buy a setup only to find out its not going to be eligible!

Also, if my funds will stretch, i might pick up a 1/10th car too....any suggestions on a car that wont cost the earth, but will still be competitive?

thanks in advance for your help!

bert digler
16-01-2010, 04:42 PM
hi guys

I'm Martin, and am looking at coming along to your club in the near future and race in your 1/18th class.

I've been waiting for the club rules on these cars before purchasing, and havent been able to find any on your website.....so, just wondered when they are going to be released? Dont wanna buy a setup only to find out its not going to be eligible!

Also, if my funds will stretch, i might pick up a 1/10th car too....any suggestions on a car that wont cost the earth, but will still be competitive?

which club dude;)

mc_mclovin
16-01-2010, 04:52 PM
the bedfordshire one

did i post this in the wrong place? if so, sorry!

bert digler
16-01-2010, 05:17 PM
the bedfordshire one

did i post this in the wrong place? if so, sorry!

nah i didnt look sorry generally go along before buying and ask you may also pick up a bargain :thumbsup:
unless there gypsies in bedfordshire:D:p

learnerdriver
16-01-2010, 05:52 PM
hi guys

Martin
suggest you come along this friday, have a look at what people are running-at the mo, there are maverick atom, ftx blaze standard and st versions and lrp shark-nearly everyone at the moment is running brushed motors and either cells or lipos-most are running tenth touring car wheels with white rally blocks
see you friday :-)
chris h

associatedtc3
16-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Martin ,i run at the Bedford club both in 1/18th and 1/10th scale. There are no rules at the mo for 1/18th buggies as we have only just started to run them. I run a Maverick atom which is standard out of the box except for different tyres. These buggies retail for approx £70 ready to run. The next choice would be an FTX Blaze which is about £140 ready to run but can be bought for around £70 as car only with motor but no radio gear.

As for 1/10th i run an old associated tc3 which is very competitive but the brushless motor and radio gear cost me over £500. A good starting 1/10th car[and there are quite a few of these at the club] is a Maverick Strada TC. These models come ready to run for around £105 and can be fairly competitive out of the box with a tyre change only. Its a good starter car which can easily be upgraded as your finances and driving improve.

Our winter championship starts on Friday 22nd January ,so come along and have a look.

The above cars can be bought from Future World Models in Oakley which is run by our treasurer Russell.

Hope this info helps with your choice of car. Cheers Andy [senior commitee member]

mc_mclovin
16-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Chris!!

was hoping to be able to come along friday....might even bring along my current car, a losi mini desert buggy (doubt it'd be worth entering into the 1/18th class as its only 2wd...still alot of fun though!)

so, you'd advise against going along the brushless route for now? havent been able to decide between the rtr shark or going the artr route and adding a brushless system myself.

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-cars/118-electric-offroad/shark-18-race-monster-truck-rtr/produkt/lrp-shark-18-race-monster-truck-rtr/details/

is this the right version of the shark? the one i've read so much about in other forums.....all this blaze/shark/duratrax, st, ft etc etc stuff is very confusing to a total noob like myself!

i know everyone says the shark factory team one is the best, but its just sooooo damn expensive! almost as much as an xray t2r pro!!

mc_mclovin
16-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Martin ,i run at the Bedford club both in 1/18th and 1/10th scale. There are no rules at the mo for 1/18th buggies as we have only just started to run them. I run a Maverick atom which is standard out of the box except for different tyres. These buggies retail for approx £70 ready to run. The next choice would be an FTX Blaze which is about £140 ready to run but can be bought for around £70 as car only with motor but no radio gear.

As for 1/10th i run an old associated tc3 which is very competitive but the brushless motor and radio gear cost me over £500. A good starting 1/10th car[and there are quite a few of these at the club] is a Maverick Strada TC. These models come ready to run for around £105 and can be fairly competitive out of the box with a tyre change only. Its a good starter car which can easily be upgraded as your finances and driving improve.

Our winter championship starts on Friday 22nd January ,so come along and have a look.

The above cars can be bought from Future World Models in Oakley which is run by our treasurer Russell.

Hope this info helps with your choice of car. Cheers Andy [senior commitee member]

Hi Andy! and thanks for the info....you guys seem a friendly bunch, so am hoping i'll manage to show my face this friday!

Sorry for all the questions, am new to all this, and well its abit confusing!

Andy, what are your thoughts on the shark i linked to in my last post? is this the st version i keep reading about?

and with regards to the 1/10th car...on future world models, i was actually looking at the kyosho tf-5...what are your thoughts regarding this car?

cheers again!
martin

learnerdriver
16-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks Chris!!

was hoping to be able to come along friday....might even bring along my current car, a losi mini desert buggy (doubt it'd be worth entering into the 1/18th class as its only 2wd...still alot of fun though!)

so, you'd advise against going along the brushless route for now? havent been able to decide between the rtr shark or going the artr route and adding a brushless system myself.

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-cars/118-electric-offroad/shark-18-race-monster-truck-rtr/produkt/lrp-shark-18-race-monster-truck-rtr/details/

is this the right version of the shark? the one i've read so much about in other forums.....all this blaze/shark/duratrax, st, ft etc etc stuff is very confusing to a total noob like myself!

i know everyone says the shark factory team one is the best, but its just sooooo damn expensive! almost as much as an xray t2r pro!!

martin
best to hold onto your cash for now and come and have a chat first-your choice will be dictated by budget but also where and when you plan to race-that will determine your choice !
cheers

associatedtc3
16-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Martin, Chris is right about hanging on to your cash at the mo. You need to decide where you are going to run mostly. I think the Shark is far to expensive and sophisticated for our club.If you plan to do micro nationals then the shark is fine,but at our club a much cheaper model is a better option. No body runs a shark at our club and we find that the mavericks and ftx blaze are more than good enough.

Dont know much about the Kyosho but it looks similar to the maverick strada. If you want a new touring car i would go for the maverick rather than the kyosho[but this is purely because there are several mavericks at the club and no kyoshos and i know more about them.]

Come down on Friday and have a good look. Cheers Andy

Ross
16-01-2010, 06:58 PM
No body runs a shark at our club and we find that the mavericks and ftx blaze are more than good enough.

Apart from me that is :p. I would agree with Chris and Andy though, a maverick or Blaze will be fine. I only bought the shark as i'm a tart and would only change a load of parts on it anyway :woot:. The only thing i think the blaze needs is a LiPo,and then your ready to run :thumbsup:.

associatedtc3
16-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry Ross,didnt realise you were running a shark. Andy:blush:

learnerdriver
16-01-2010, 07:28 PM

The parts that i have on my blaze st are the same as the shark but not as pretty :cry:

associatedtc3
16-01-2010, 07:34 PM
There aint nothing pretty about my maverick except the person driving it

mc_mclovin
16-01-2010, 07:46 PM
cheers guys, been useful getting your imput!! and wife permitting i'll def be along on friday night..i'm thinking your about 30 mins away, as i'm just outside kettering.

would it be worth bringing my stock losi mini desert buggy? with it bein 2wd would it be allowed to race?

my only thinking behind gettin the linked shark over the blaze is that u seem to get abit more straight out of the box! (and have a feelin every little will help!)

will i need to have spare cyrstals? or would u suggest swapping out the kit transmitter with my already owned spektrum dsm 2.4ghz tx/reciever?

Ross
16-01-2010, 08:19 PM

:D No worries, all though you would of thought it was a turtle the amount of time it was on it roof the other night :woot:

The parts that i have on my blaze st are the same as the shark but not as pretty :cry:

Still quick though ;)

There aint nothing pretty about my maverick except the person driving it

:woot::woot:

cheers guys, been useful getting your imput!! and wife permitting i'll def be along on friday night..i'm thinking your about 30 mins away, as i'm just outside kettering.

would it be worth bringing my stock losi mini desert buggy? with it bein 2wd would it be allowed to race?

my only thinking behind gettin the linked shark over the blaze is that u seem to get abit more straight out of the box! (and have a feelin every little will help!)

will i need to have spare cyrstals? or would u suggest swapping out the kit transmitter with my already owned spektrum dsm 2.4ghz tx/reciever?

Sorry not up to date on the Losi gear,is it 1/18, if so i think there was one there on Monday,so yeah bring it along.

I would change to the 2.4,it will save you time changeing Xtals and there are quit a few guys there already on 27/40 meg.

learnerdriver
16-01-2010, 08:31 PM

bring it along, anything goes at the mo but change to spektrum as ross has said, it will makes things a lot easier

learnerdriver
16-01-2010, 08:33 PM
No worries, all though you would of thought it was a turtle the amount of time it was on it roof the other night :woot:

Ross, i think you have the first uk lrp turtle :p

Ross
16-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Ross, i think you have the first uk lrp turtle :p

i wonder if i can get a turtle shell got it :thumbsup:

bedsrcmcc
16-01-2010, 11:58 PM

Evening there...

I would echo everything that our memebrs have already said. Come along Friday and see what everyone is running, there is plenty to choose from and I'm sure you'll find time to speak to some of us in between races.

Chris from our club did a quick survey this week of the 1:18 buggies/trucks just to see what everyone is running. I think for our first championships we are going to just let them run as they are and see how it goes. I've set out a list of F1 and F2 drivers for this new class. Depending on your ability I can either book you in as one or the other.

Please note that we are about to start our Winter Championships which will run for 7 weeks with the points from your top 5 meetings counting towards the final positions. Anyone is allowed to race although we do state that only paid up members will get points.

We've had guests turn up at our Championship meetings before now and they are happy to race, even if they are not scoring.

As to costs, membership is £25 for the year, £13 goes to BRCA for insurance/membership purposes and club pockets £12 to cover our running costs etc. Members race for £4 a night (extra £2 for a second car if run). Guests pay £6 and £3 respectively. All the details can be found on our site.

The one thing I would suggest is if you do want to run on Friday that you try and get your hands on some minipins or rally blocks (yellow) as these have been shown from last year to have the best grip on the polished surface which has also just been re-varnished over Christmas. It's a good sized track and we are running track layout No.10 throughout the Championship.

Also, as with our previous Championships, there is a raffle at the end. Every driver, member or guest will get a free ticket if they race, and then extra tickets can be purchase at £1 a strip of five. We then do the raffle after the Championship and all proceeds from the sale of tickets along with the prizes we get from Schumacher for running their tyres as the control makes for some nice prizes too.

We all look forward to welcoming you to the club this week or when you can make it down to see us.

bedsrcmcc
17-01-2010, 12:28 AM
I forgot to mention that we run the I-LapRC auto lap counting system that uses Personal Transponders. The club have spares which you can hire for £2 per race meeting or you can buy one to keep for £35.

I've ordered a further 10 PTs this week as we think all the current stock is going to be snapped up by drivers very soon so we need to make sure we keep at least 5-10 as spares.

All the 1:18 cars were running with the PTs without any problems at all. The only issue we've encountered so far is that some drivers do not have a spare receiver slot with power and therefore they are having to get a Y connector lead to ensure power to the PT.

Apart from that, the I-LapRC setup is fantastic. Check out further details online...

http://www.bedsrcmcc.co.uk/ilaprc.php

I shall be adding more photos in the coming weeks to show how we've integrated the whole system into the setup we run at the club. Simple to install and simple to run :thumbsup: