PDA

View Full Version : Other dished wheels or hex fitting's

carlin
16-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys,

What other Manf wheels fit the Durango?

I want dished wheels, i know the JC's fit but they are spoked :thumbdown: not my cup of tea :D
Or was thinking of changing the hex's on the front wonder if anyone has made any changes or mods

One thing i have learned from touring is putting some inslation tape on the hex's when putting the wheels on that has helped loads.

Just i keep stripping the hex's out the wheels always the left hand side.

HarlowS
16-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Associated B44 wheels fit ok. Try adding threadlock to the front wheel nuts, it seems to be the nuts coming lose that is causing the hex issue, not the wheels themselves.

telboy
16-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I'v run mine with threadlock on the front nearside wheel and haven't had a problem since.

carlin
16-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Associated B44 wheels fit ok. Try adding threadlock to the front wheel nuts, it seems to be the nuts coming lose that is causing the hex issue, not the wheels themselves.

Yeah i already use thread lock also changed the nuts too they are brill.

But notice the wheels inners get warn so much quicker, so was thinking of trying different manf
So i wll try the Assoc ones see how i get on.

Think the other reason they round off easy is if you notice the hex's have rounded edge's instead of pointed finish which doenst help i reckon.
Thats why was thinking of changing the hex's instead

mark christopher
16-01-2010, 09:25 PM
never had a problem my self, i ran hotbodies d4 wheels using HB hexes, and jc wheels (b44 plastic hex recess is deeper) also some std durango wheels with no problems. i did take time to carefully shim the axles tho! which may have helped.
you sure your bearings are not binding casuing heat?

carlin
16-01-2010, 10:51 PM
never had a problem my self, i ran hotbodies d4 wheels using HB hexes, and jc wheels (b44 plastic hex recess is deeper) also some std durango wheels with no problems. i did take time to carefully shim the axles tho! which may have helped.
you sure your bearings are not binding casuing heat?

Funny you mention the bearings, Im on my second set as they keep getting very stiff & knotchy
I stripped them down re-oiled, but was thinking about putting ceramic bearings instead. It is down to over tighten the wheel or over shimming as i never found it problem before

gazbaz2
17-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Ive run B44, Losi, Rulux, Tamiya 501x and of corse the durango, all fit quite well, had no probs with stripping wheels hex's.

bustabo
17-01-2010, 07:56 PM
The only problem I have found running the bb4 wheels is that the front ones seem to rub the turnbuckles pretty badly. JC Rulux and the Durango wheels do not have this problem.

I have not looked further into it yet to see what could be done, just noticed it this weekend.

ill post pics later today of the different wheels

mark christopher
17-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Funny you mention the bearings, Im on my second set as they keep getting very stiff & knotchy
I stripped them down re-oiled, but was thinking about putting ceramic bearings instead. It is down to over tighten the wheel or over shimming as i never found it problem before
sounds like they have been over tightened and you have cruched the crush ring between th bearings, i think there may be some stronger crush rings due ( sure i saw it some where)

carlin
17-01-2010, 08:32 PM
sounds like they have been over tightened and you have cruched the crush ring between th bearings, i think there may be some stronger crush rings due ( sure i saw it some where)

Ah that's sounds more like what I'm getting problems with.
Because I'm tigthen the wheels so tight causing heat issues.

So hopefully we shall see some new ones.

I've just upgraded the front post that ppl tend to bend they are perfect not bent since :thumbsup:

reg
17-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Ah that's sounds more like what I'm getting problems with.
Because I'm tigthen the wheels so tight causing heat issues.

So hopefully we shall see some new ones.

I've just upgraded the front post that ppl tend to bend they are perfect not bent since :thumbsup:

hi could you let me know what you have done with the front,what are the part numbers and where did you get them from,iv bent mine and the rear bearings are in the bin

carlin
17-01-2010, 09:05 PM
hi could you let me know what you have done with the front,what are the part numbers and where did you get them from,iv bent mine and the rear bearings are in the bin

I've had some brass post given to try out than the standard alloy post (TD320004) chassis stay post's.

reg
17-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I've had some brass post given to try out than the standard alloy post (TD320004) chassis stay post's.

:o i thought you ment the wheel pins

Northy
18-01-2010, 08:50 AM
What posts? :confused:

reg
18-01-2010, 08:14 PM
the two that the servo sits between :eh?:

JohnM
18-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Why would you need to change them? They don't do a whole lot :confused:

carlin
18-01-2010, 08:45 PM
They bend thats why changed them.

At the players mine bent after bad landing.

I've some snapped aswell on someones car too.

mark christopher
18-01-2010, 09:07 PM
nortech do wheel pins, again this can be caused by incorrect shimming!

carlin
18-01-2010, 09:18 PM

Yeah I'm using the Nortech alot better than kit ones :thumbsup:

reg
19-01-2010, 04:53 AM

which pins are they,the mooshacker drive shaft pins

Chequered Flag Racing
19-01-2010, 07:54 AM
i think there may be some stronger crush rings due ( sure i saw it some where)

use search, it's there to help or is your eye playing up :o ;)

New Steel Spacers are on the way soon I have been informed.

pal has these fitted from the HPI Cyclone D4 / #61490 if anyone can't wait

AmiSMB
25-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Although I have been using AE and Losi wheels on the Durango I have noticed that this reduces the overall front width by around 4mm. I have now opted to use two old crunch spacers per side and use HB D4 or AE B44 front hexes. The wheels still wear the steering ball cups at full lock so I might have to take some material off the inside edge of the rim.