PDA

View Full Version : Over-Heating Resolutions

Jarred King
17-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Hey,

Been running my DEX410 for a few weeks now and I as well as others here in aus are having some problems with keeping the electronics at a low temp.

Ive done some testing and have gotten my temps down but after a 6 minute race the car is borderline shutting down from the heat.

I found going to a faster motor with a lower gearing helped alot but days like today when it was quite hot the car kept shutting down because it was thermalling.

Anyone got an resolutions to this problem?
I cant seem to get enough room under the shell to fit a heatsink and fan lol.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

JK

Smartalec
17-01-2010, 08:18 AM
What speedo/motor combination are you running?, I have a speed passion pro and a 5.5 Novak Ballistic in mine and have not had a problem. The speedo has a heatsink and fan and fits in the car easily :eh?:

HyperFX
17-01-2010, 08:56 AM
It might help to look through the "Electric Install Pics" (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31939) thread.
There are some good install ideas there that could assist you with your problem.

samd
17-01-2010, 03:02 PM
If your using a tekin ditch it, the durango chasiss makes a warm pocket of air under the shell and as the tekin uses a sticker! instead of a fan and heatsink it gets hot. I went from rs pro cutting out 4mins to a nosram istc no probs at all, same gearing.

HarlowS
17-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Bit of a pointless answer that one. There is nothing wrong with the Tekin, you just need to think about airflow instead of piling it all in the car. You can get a fan inbetween the servo and speedo if your electrics are small enough. I havent fitted the fan yet but the weather hasnt got warm enough to warrant. No probs with my RS and 5.5 as yet. :)

If your using a tekin ditch it, the durango chasiss makes a warm pocket of air under the shell and as the tekin uses a sticker! instead of a fan and heatsink it gets hot. I went from rs pro cutting out 4mins to a nosram istc no probs at all, same gearing.

coolcars782
17-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I would say you need as much air as possible moving around inside it

Takes2home
17-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Hallo "Jarred King", you could do like I did on my previous car, as you can see on the pic. I also cut a spot for the heatsink on my Durango body, but its not ready yet. I will use it in summertime, last week was minus 15 degrees here in Berlin.
If you put a heatsink on the motor, use a termal pad in between, they really work well, or termal grease, especially on the gap between motor and heatsink.
Sorry for the quality of the picture, I use this kind of cooling system only in summertime, and of course when you have too little clearence, but I just wanted to show you quick, just to give you an idea. I hope it helps.:)
F.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/svenskan99/275_7524_600_450.jpg

samd
17-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Pointless answer? Just my own experience and others tekins struggle in durangos, mine cut out with a lrp x12 5.5 , i think jimmy ooples was on full lights outdoors at batley with a 6.5, no problems with the nosram, and also no problems with the tekin in any other car.

Takes2home
18-01-2010, 12:03 AM
You could also put a small fan direct on the body shell. First ream ca two centimer hole diameter on the body and then screw the fan with some plastic nylock and o-rings.

Jarred King
18-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all your help guys.

Have been looking at the Azarashi shell that has more room around the electronics area meaning more room to mount fans/ heatsinks.

I will do some testing and see if i can bring temps down.
I think its true about how someone said the body makes a little heat pocket, a bit like an oven. And after each race the chassis is really hot which would create a very hot pocket of air under the shell.

I think its all about airflow.

MALLET
18-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Jarred,

I got paranoid about the over heating when my SXX kept thermalling out. I put a SXXtc in and I've had no problems, but I did this to my shell when I had the SXX in, it kept it cooler for the 5mins.:thumbsup:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/mallets_photos/007.jpg

I think Jimmy's report showing the Tekin's, everyone now has bought a Durango has and had problems with the Tekin has gone ''well I only went with what I saw in the write up so it should be good'' Do a search on here for what speedo and motors are best in a Durango.

JohnM
18-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Durangos aren't the only cars I know of that Tekins don't like, couple of my mates with D4s had nothing but problems with them getting too hot.

Do a search on here for what speedo and motors are best in a Durango.

I'll save you the search time and give you the answer, Speedpassion:thumbsup:

MALLET
18-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Jarred,

I got paranoid about the over heating when my SXX kept thermalling out. I put a SXXtc in and I've had no problems:thumbsup:

I already beet you to it John with the SXXtc :p :thumbsup:

JohnM
18-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Sorry mate, but after trying the Speedpassion GT PRO/V3.0 combo in mine, I ain't going back to LRP in the near future:p

samd
18-01-2010, 08:46 PM
LRP/Nosram speedos all the way for me.

paulc
18-01-2010, 08:52 PM
is the only reason the sxx thermalling is because it has no heat sink on like the sxxtc is there any other differance to either to cause it to thermal

paul

Jarred King
19-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Well i dont think there is much use buying a SXX TC as there isnt much difference between them besides heatsink and it can go to 2.5t which wont ever be used in 4wd offroad lol.

I will get a heatsink and fan and do the body mod and see how i go.
Ill post results thanks.

samd
19-01-2010, 01:30 PM
The sxx has smaller cables then the sxxtc, and the heat sink on the tc is bonded on not just stuck on.

I dont think you can get a heatsink and fan kit for the sxx to make it a sxxtc, like you could with the with the sphere before it.

The ssxtc can run over 2.5t (3.0t) and thats on 6v, the 7.2v rating is over 3.0t(3.5t).

You can get chipset heatsinks from maplin which cut down easily to fit the sxx.

b4pete
19-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I can sell you a brand new, unopened SXXtc at a heavily discounted price!

paulc
19-01-2010, 05:22 PM
i have the sxx and you carn't get the sxxtc heat sink i've just put a sphere heat sink on with fan hopefully that will be ok

paul

Jarred King
20-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Im sure any heatsink in general will work well.

Got myself a heatsink and fan, anyone know how to secure the heatsink to the top of a SXX?

BagofSkill
20-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Can I suggest to anyone struggleing with a Tekin that you try the latest software (v203). I've just put it in my touring car, which is a bit different granted, but my Motor went from 65 degrees to 45, my speedo went from 3 thermal lights to 1 and my 11 second lap time dropped to 10.8.

Any speed controller generates heat depending on how hard it's worked, and the newer software enables you to have two profiles, one optimised for infield and one for the straights, so the speedo isn't struggleing with un-necessary timing on the infield which gives you the heat.

Also if not covered befor- the Tekin is designed to have air moving over it instead of a fan, as the solder posts are the heatsink,. It might be as simple as positioning the post so they see some (even small) airflow (like from a spinnng spur gear or little breath vent). Also, it's advised as very important that you don't cover the solder posts with heatshrink or similar.

Holeshot
23-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Can I suggest to anyone struggleing with a Tekin that you try the latest software (v203). I've just put it in my touring car, which is a bit different granted, but my Motor went from 65 degrees to 45, my speedo went from 3 thermal lights to 1 and my 11 second lap time dropped to 10.8.

Any speed controller generates heat depending on how hard it's worked, and the newer software enables you to have two profiles, one optimised for infield and one for the straights, so the speedo isn't struggleing with un-necessary timing on the infield which gives you the heat.

Also if not covered befor- the Tekin is designed to have air moving over it instead of a fan, as the solder posts are the heatsink,. It might be as simple as positioning the post so they see some (even small) airflow (like from a spinnng spur gear or little breath vent). Also, it's advised as very important that you don't cover the solder posts with heatshrink or similar.

Sweet, thanks for posting that up.

mikeyscott
23-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I have found this tooo except I'm running mine in a Cat SX.

Tekin RS Pro with a Losi 7.5 really cooking. New software with an X11 6.5 sits nice and cool.

Holeshot
23-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I was wanting to run the Tekin RS Pro, hopefully I get good results with it. I would give the Mamba Max Pro ago but looks so ugly.

fastinfastout
27-01-2010, 02:26 AM
FYI b44 body fits with minimal hacking. Gives enough clearance that you dont need to worry about motor tab hitting the body.

I assume the b44 undertray will fit too, but im going to leave mine off to exhaust all the hot air out.

Jarred King
29-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Got myself a heatsink and fan on the speedy.

Running this weekend and will let u all know how the heat issue goes.

HyperFX
13-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Got myself a heatsink and fan on the speedy.

Running this weekend and will let u all know how the heat issue goes.
Any update on your heat issues?
I'm running a Tekin RS Pro with a Redline 5.5, and a single Novak fan. I opened the vents on the stock DEX410 body. Also, used silver solder on 12 guage wires. Works very well. I've tried several different install configurations, with a couple that keep the temps much cooler. With the RS Pro, having a fan blowing directly on the side of the posts works best.