PDA

View Full Version : Front Wishbones

andys
23-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I've finally run out of spare front wishbones for the BJ/Slim4 (The newer heavy duty ones I think, from the worlds car). Anyhow, my questions are:

a:Where to get them from in the UK ?
b:Jimmy mentioned something about the new Tamiya ones fitting, are they a direct fit / replacment, aparently they are much stronger ? If so, anyone know a LHS that keeps them. Ta.

Andy.

jimmy
23-05-2007, 01:03 PM
The Tamiya wishbones are not a direct fit at all - I've yet to fit them but they need drilling and the hulkhead insert needs trimming I think. they are stronger for sure.

Doomanic
23-05-2007, 01:28 PM
DCRacing has front wishbones in stock.

Wraggy
23-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I've finally run out of spare front wishbones for the BJ/Slim4

how many have you gone through ??

ive only ever snapped one ..:o

ashleyb4
23-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I know someon who has gone through about 5 or 6

A

jimmy
23-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Depends what you're doing :D I broke 5/6 just at the Euros last year. Since then i never broke one. :eh?: I was lent a brushless by LRP though, so maybe I went a bit power crazy.

Andrew Simpson
23-05-2007, 02:27 PM
ive done 2 in 2 meetings of owning the car :o

Zipper
23-05-2007, 04:30 PM
It just must all go down to the angle the wishbones are being hit. I went the whole 2006 season without breaking a single arm and was involved in some spectacular crashes with no breakages and then this year I have broken two with the slightest of taps into the car infront.

jcb
23-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I've done two front wishbones on my S4, both were from landing at daft angles on a high(ish) drop off section, ended breaking into about 5 or 6 pieces. I know I should have learnt the first time not to jump off it :p

I noticed on a well known auction site you can get delrin ones from the USA for a fairly reasonable price. Whether they are any stronger or not I don't know, but they do look a bit beefier.

craigosh
23-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I've broken quite a few, it is just a case of hitting them on something the wrong way and snap.. smack somethng though and they are sound!! I find the same thing happens with the B4.

I am tinkering with the design of some new ones i'm gonna get machined from delrin, hopefully as a freebie from the uni :-D

Richard Lowe
23-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I havn't really had a problem with the strength of the heavy duty wishbones that come with the worlds car, what's been said so far is spot on. It usually takes a big impact to break them, sometimes if you're unlucky they can break with a slight tap at just the wrong angle (Mr Truman?! :p ), this hasn't happened to me very often though.

When I ran the origonal car we tried delrin wishbones and while they were tougher than B4 arms, they aren't as tough as the new moulded ones.

MK999
23-05-2007, 10:31 PM
it's always the 'small' crashes that get you, many times i cartwheeled my 8th over jumps and it drove off, clipped a pipe once and half the front end went missing ! :eh?:

jimmy
23-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah at the euros it seemed every time I thought about clipping a pipe a wishbone went- but before and since I've driven like a maniac and rarely broken them.

Vermin broke one on the warmup lap at the euros and I put on a new one in time for his race - thats how quick they are to change on the bj4, which is always good I suppose.

MK999
23-05-2007, 11:29 PM
I have wondered about it, and thought it may be caused by the fact when you clip something, the wishbone stops, and the car carries on, leaving the wishbone behind, where as if you really hit something, the car stops or changes direction with the wishbone.

Chris Doughty
24-05-2007, 07:38 AM
I have killed 2 front wishbones on my S4, both accidents were brutal, full speed chicane clippers.

both times I was suprised it was only the wishbone that died (well one time was a dead shock shaft too - but nothing major)

MK999
24-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I've never killed a wishbone, ever :)

(I also don't have the car running yet though :D Hurry up posty :eh?:)

PaulRotheram
24-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I have killed 2 front wishbones on my S4, both accidents were brutal, full speed chicane clippers.

both times I was suprised it was only the wishbone that died (well one time was a dead shock shaft too - but nothing major)

i saw one of them, pretty insane it were!

andys
24-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I've orderd some world ones from DC racing, hopefully enough to get me to the end of the summer !
The last one broke just looking at a track marker, so it's a mystery why they go, I too have had a big crash and not broke one, though to be fair the last time I tried to pass Rich Lowe down the straight at Batley I rolled the car at top speed and did the left and right at the same time !