PDA

View Full Version : Racing Sunday 24th January 2010

Randall34
20-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm desperate to get back to proper racing, haven't been down since 3rd Jan in ice.
How many of you can make it this week? assuming it doesn't rain on sunday.
Neil

mikeyscott
20-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I'll be back this weekend for some head scratching on the Cat SX. But tempted to race the B4 again as it's easier to clean!

I will set-up the Cat too as Mike Williams has given me some pointers and bring it down..

Not sure what Steve will be running.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/southampton_forecast_weather.html

Randall34
21-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Just you and me then Mike.

DHB
21-01-2010, 05:42 PM
im in, hope the weather is good.

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Good man

dibble34
21-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Parts are in the post so i hope to be there. Might run the b4 anyway if it's dry

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Parts are in the post so i hope to be there. Might run the b4 anyway if it's dry

Cool. I expect to running the B4 now as the Cat SX front diff screw is bust. What's up with the D4?

In actual fact I can run the Cat SX as I have a one way diff in the box :D

SteveB
21-01-2010, 07:54 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:Well I fancy a back to back with the B44 and SX, but 2 cars to clean is a bit too much, so will dicide on the day but after my dismal performance at Petit I need to bury my head in the sand.
Lets say an eye opener at Petit and something we need to prepare more in advance.
So I propose we need a 5 ft table top and I might be able to learn how to jump. Also maybe stick a table top corner, say 4 ft tall with another 1.5 ft table top as well, what do u all reckon I'm barking up the wrong tree???????? Or stupid!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Steve please also remember you had some serious bad luck which killed any chance of learning the track or jumps.

A table top could be a plan, a moveable one for when we don't want it.

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I think that would be cool.. And another option is maybe a small little jump like 1foot or something. Which are pritty easy to make. And can be move on and off depending on the day. I cant say much from only being once, But I do think something different could be cool.. and maybe increase number's too.. and maybe something to maybe even create a ripple section or something. Most things don't need to be big. But they can be put on or off easily. I know I would love to see a few features like that.. And few other's probably would too..But I don't feel like I should say as im not a full member and not being more than once.. its not really something I should say.. but I agree with the above..

Plus having a few more movable features they can be placed anywhere near enough.. and bring a new dimension to the track too.. My view Cant wait to get my B44 working properly and get down again!

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 08:39 PM
As for numbers get your uni mates involved! Would the uni allow you to put flyers up?

As for track improvments can we discuss in the main post for TORCH... ;)

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Um they might do.. would need to check.. klkl no probs

super gripper
21-01-2010, 08:44 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:Well I fancy a back to back with the B44 and SX, but 2 cars to clean is a bit too much, so will dicide on the day but after my dismal performance at Petit I need to bury my head in the sand.
Lets say an eye opener at Petit and something we need to prepare more in advance.
So I propose we need a 5 ft table top and I might be able to learn how to jump. Also maybe stick a table top corner, say 4 ft tall with another 1.5 ft table top as well, what do u all reckon I'm barking up the wrong tree???????? Or stupid!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

a double hump will teach people how to jump, spaced the correct distance of one metre apart.

a table top is a marshals nightmare

our track is unique and we need to keep it that way

not saying we shouldn't have a jump, we need two really

a double hump and a ramp with the non car breaking angle !

table tops and big jumps take the fun out of a club track as you will always get the money bags jumping like a kangaroo on blue smarties and can afford to break his car........

i would say most people at TORCH are not money bags so a big table top is out.

we do however need to extend the lap time, the track is too short...........

oh and i will be there i hope this Sunday, the other Lee too i believe

Steve, with a 5ft table top you will land in the tree not be barking up it......:p

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Wicked. We have the biggest uni population and I am sure more would race.

Neil, one for you with your skills for a poster?

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Valid point and I survive petit with one broken wishbone, but there were a lot of breakages.

Hence a removable jump?

We need to create a list of iteams and prioritise etc.

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Yea that does make sense.. you don't want them big that's for sure.. even if there not even 1 foot.. and on a slow section.. the chances of breaking are very low.. they don't have to be big ones.. just something to slow it down, and keep the same style but break it up.. a bit.. and ripple sections are always good too.. maybe somewhere like after the chicane section before the back straight area.. so its low speed -which will be hard to do damaged at that speed..

Which thread you on about Mike?
Or worth making a new thread-With the reasons you mention above..

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 08:56 PM
There is a torch suggestions thread. Otherwise peoples ideas will get lost

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Cool. I expect to running the B4 now as the Cat SX front diff screw is bust. What's up with the D4?

In actual fact I can run the Cat SX as I have a one way diff in the box :D

I think the ESC or radio got wet and it went full speed over the main jump and into the shed! Broke a shock shaft. Looked good though!

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 10:15 PM
+1 on that was pritty impressive.. considering the force the little damadge!

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I expect something else was weakened, i'll have to live with the excitment of not knowing what until i have another moment! You got a metal replacement for you b44 Part?

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I think the ESC or radio got wet and it went full speed over the main jump and into the shed! Broke a shock shaft. Looked good though!

Ouch. Isn't the d4 very sealed? Does it have an undertray?

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Ordered 2 from M-K one for me and other for tony to replace the one I used.. was wanting to get 3 but only 2 in stock. As his wife just had a baby its only been sent today.. ordered it Monday. But racing clan this Sunday so not a massive rush. And might order another and new bearing set as my rear diff ones are shot-Seized.. but 12 for a full b44 set cant be bad from rcbearings haha

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I expect something else was weakened, i'll have to live with the excitment of not knowing what until i have another moment! You got a metal replacement for you b44 Part?

Full strip and check?

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Ouch. Isn't the d4 very sealed? Does it have an undertray?
Yeah has an undertray, and i have done the bluetac thing. B4 is better though. Was quite wet!

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Full strip and check?
Nah, too lazy:blush:

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Ordered 2 from M-K one for me and other for tony to replace the one I used.. was wanting to get 3 but only 2 in stock. As his wife just had a baby its only been sent today.. ordered it Monday. But racing clan this Sunday so not a massive rush. And might order another and new bearing set as my rear diff ones are shot-Seized.. but 12 for a full b44 set cant be bad from rcbearings haha
They are really good at RCbearings. A couple of spares sounds like a good plan, that seemed a real weak spot. Was quite funny when you hit tony in the last race and the glue gave way when you could of taken the lead and won. That is the kind of luck i have:)

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 10:28 PM
yea So annoying the glue held better than is working haha yea think I will order a few and bearings.. yea they are good! for £12

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Nah, too lazy:blush:

Tut tut...

Seized bearings! Don't you clean and regrease???

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 10:37 PM
yes but 1 its used 2-It was wet last weekend and 3 god knows how the previous owner treats them. Trust my my Xray 809 bearing all get cleaned and regreased after most days if not after every race day.. smooth as silk..

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Tut tut...

Seized bearings! Don't you clean and regrease???
Nope, they are sealed. I have had 2 fail in the last year. If the wheels feel ok i leave it. The b4 feels rough though so gonna take a look

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 10:40 PM
If it's been a wet one I always get them out of the car and into WD40 at least. But I appreciate everyone has different amounts of avaliable time.

jamiekerr14
21-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Yea I normally do tbh.. but I dont think the previous user helped it.. and having hand ins last week didn't help on available time.. plus my 1/8th have never had issues like this regarding water.. but meh

Freakypen
21-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi I'm considering coming to TORCH on Sunday.It is 1.5 hrs away from me tho... How many rounds qual / finals etc do you run-as it seems a short day 9am-1pm. Mainly for testing so trying to maximise the track time:D

dibble34
21-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi

It can vary a bit at the mo, as we have a new tming system, but usually 6 races of some sort. 4 or 5 quali, 1 or 2 finals. Never had less than 5 races, plus you can practice before. Someone is normally there from 8:30 ish. Mike will have more info i suspect

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 10:50 PM
All depends on numbers.

We generally get 5 rounds in etc. but see how numbers are each week.

staggered qualifying and then finals. Tempted to do 2 finals

Where are you coming from and what do hope to run?

If you do PM me your name, class, car, radio and PT (if you have one).

We are a small club, so not like the big meetings, but we aim to develop more over 2010

We aim to do all day meetings this year, but that needs to be discussed. I'm in favour of once a month

Freakypen
21-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm coming from Frome in Somerset-if I make it I'll run my losi/atomic cr2. Cheers guys-If I decide to come I'll let you know my details etc.
Oh-What tyres for the dry / wet? I've read everything from ballistic pink to schumacher blue/minipins etc.:eh?:

mikeyscott
21-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Christ on a bike that's a trek!

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33958

Mini pins in the wet with some running ballistic buggy tyres and mini spikes in the dry.

Staggered ribs on the front in the dry and whatever suits in the wet.

Freakypen
21-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Nearest track for 1/10 offroad to me seems to be Tiverton, Talywain (Wales) or yours all 1.5 hrs away!!:cry: it sucks!!Costs me a small fortune just to test somewhere!! Unless anyone knows any closer?:confused:

mikeyscott
22-01-2010, 02:46 PM
It's going to a be a very wet track judging by the rain coming down at the moment :(

mikeyscott
23-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Nearest track for 1/10 offroad to me seems to be Tiverton, Talywain (Wales) or yours all 1.5 hrs away!!:cry: it sucks!!Costs me a small fortune just to test somewhere!! Unless anyone knows any closer?:confused:

Chaps, please welcome Paul tomorrow etc. I'm not racing due to being ill :cry:

mikeyscott
24-01-2010, 01:27 PM
How did everyone get on?

SteveB
24-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Mike,

Good meeting, appart from broken shock tower???, 15 or so drivers 2 heats, Paul Penny from Frome came and enjoyed the track, shame he broke his car in 3rd or 4th run, could not race anymore as no replacement part. Great Driver :), will be good to see him come back soon and I ll get the xx or B4 out and see how I do.

Thanks to Neil Randell, for the help in set up and general running, much appreciated. :D

Ta Steve

mikeyscott
24-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks Neil and to all thosed that helped with my normal responsibilities.

Randall34
24-01-2010, 08:38 PM
No worries guys, i enjoyed it. I'm gonna download the timing software and get a bit more au fait with it.
Although it didn't look like i had a good day (results wise) i enjoyed the races and trying out different settings to see what it does.
Plus my Dad came down, which was nice, he used to come down to titchfield back in the day, he even ran a Cat XLS for a while.
I won't be able to make it next week, i'll try for the week after.

Freakypen
24-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Cheers to Steve and the crew for today for being very welcoming and not laughing when I (strength tested )ahem..broke my car :blush: and had to go home early!!:cry:

Any other part I have...but not that one!!
P.S. A special thanks to the kind gentleman who pushed my 307 outta the mud when I got stuck tryin to go home...was one of those days :woot:

Thanks again guys I'll be back soon:thumbsup:

rosinary
24-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I used to race at a club back in the late early 90's in Fareham, next to the motorway, along a long muddy track. Nice little circuit at the end of it. I bought my Schumacer Procat from a member and then later bought and assembled my first car, Lazer ZX - Sport bought from Competition Racing Models in West Street, Fareham.

I raced it for about a year until I hit the yellow bulldozer at the end of the starting straight! I never got around to fixing the front arm bracket or replacing the silver front suspension arm as I moved away.

Does anyone know any good model shops that can help me with parts/ repair, give advice so I can hopefully start going to a few meetings.

Many thanks

Ross

Randall34
25-01-2010, 07:57 AM
P.S. A special thanks to the kind gentleman who pushed my 307 outta the mud when I got stuck tryin to go home...was one of those days :woot:

That was my Dad, he does have his uses.....you're right Steve!

RobW
25-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I used to race at a club back in the late early 90's in Fareham, next to the motorway, along a long muddy track. Nice little circuit at the end of it. I bought my Schumacer Procat from a member and then later bought and assembled my first car, Lazer ZX - Sport bought from Competition Racing Models in West Street, Fareham.

I raced it for about a year until I hit the yellow bulldozer at the end of the starting straight! I never got around to fixing the front arm bracket or replacing the silver front suspension arm as I moved away.

Does anyone know any good model shops that can help me with parts/ repair, give advice so I can hopefully start going to a few meetings.

Many thanks

Ross

Hi Ross

Unfortunately there are not any local shops which stock competition stuff.

However, Steve B at the track does carry a good selection of tyres and other bits. Otherwise you are looking at mail order (I find Microtech and Apex Models good but there are obviously many others including the sponsors of this forum!) or hour plus drive to one of the above.

I would pop down and have a chat.

Cheers

Rob

mikeyscott
25-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I've found Darren at DMS good for vintage parts, but I'd start with eBay.

Come down and have a chat etc. Meet people, see the track etc. before spending any money.

mikeyscott
26-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Results are now online.

http://www.torchracing.org.uk/results/results.php?date=24-01-10

Paul Penney is a tad good... Beat all the 4WD boys bar the Browns!