PDA

View Full Version : Help!!- I span my real car :(

IceMike
21-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Just got home from a nites racing, and being tired i was drivin wot i would call like a granny and keeping the revs low. Got almost home and there is a small round about and as i went round it the back end of my focus let go and span 180 around into a kirb. There was a bang but im not sure if it was just from the tire hitting the kirb or wot, i cant tell cos its dark. the kirb was one of them angled ones, and i cant feel any dent marks on the alloy, but wot else should i look out for or try and listen for to see if ive done any damage. i know i should book it into a garage to get checked but i dont have any time this week.

Battle_axe
21-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Just got home from a nites racing, and being tired i was drivin wot i would call like a granny and keeping the revs low. Got almost home and there is a small round about and as i went round it the back end of my focus let go and span 180 around into a kirb. There was a bang but im not sure if it was just from the tire hitting the kirb or wot, i cant tell cos its dark. the kirb was one of them angled ones, and i cant feel any dent marks on the alloy, but wot else should i look out for or try and listen for to see if ive done any damage. i know i should book it into a garage to get checked but i dont have any time this week.
get it jacked up and rock the wheel in and out to feel for ant play in the bearings also i would guess you will get a whining sound when driving if you have done more damage

matdodd
21-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Just check the wheel/tyre and hub mate, if you hit it hard it should be easy to see most problems in the light.
Good job by the way :thumbsup: It was very wet on the way back you must of been driving the Focus like your buggy!

matdodd
21-01-2010, 10:52 PM
O ye you could ask Stan hes a expert at hitting kirbs ;)

MikePimlott
21-01-2010, 10:53 PM
When you spun did you drive it home afterwards ????

Jonesy
21-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Dude, what you playing at!

Hope it all works out ok :thumbsup:

IceMike
21-01-2010, 11:13 PM
When you spun did you drive it home afterwards ????

yer i drove it home but its less than a mile and it ant the best of roads after all this weather so its hard to tell if the car was handling weird

IceMike
21-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Dude, what you playing at!

Hope it all works out ok :thumbsup:

its stupid i was tryin to save money and drive abit more economically, but i was only gettin another 2mpg, bollocks to taht in that future ill wrag its tits off again, seems like a far safer way to drive

ben
21-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Check the steering arm isnt bent..
Also the wheel may look undamaged, but if it has been into the curb sideways hard enough it will of bent the wheel from the centre. Making it scrap, nothing you can do to bent it back :cry: ( i have got a slight bit of knowledge in the wheel deparment haha!)

I nearly spun the corsa earlier, thought i could beat this lass to the roundabout in actual fact i couldnt, i came into the roundabout pretty much completely sideways at about 40.. then sideways the other way on the way out! Anybody watching would of thought i did it on purpose! :woot:
I must remove the shit £35 tyres :(

Jonesy
22-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Or you could drive normal?

DCM
22-01-2010, 12:07 AM
And you wonder why insurance is high....

DCM
22-01-2010, 12:08 AM
double post... doh!

poopers
22-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Keep an eye out for the wheel bearings on the corner/side of impact, I damaged mine avoiding some idiot pulling out of a road without looking, put the car well up on two wheels that did. If you hear a deepish rumble it can be those.

I did the same thing before Christmas, 2nd gear on a roundabout just pootling along and the car spun around and just kept sliding straight off at the exit, finding myself broadside across a dual carriage way (Good thing it was 6.00am). I parked up thinking I had an oil leak, only to watch the next car do the same, turns out there was diesel all over the place.

ben
22-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Or you could drive normal?

Always a possibility :)

cjm_2008
22-01-2010, 07:10 AM
bollocks to taht in that future ill wrag its tits off again, seems like a far safer way to drive

good luck with that.

Jonesy
22-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Always a possibility :)

Never with you BJam :woot:

Chrislong
22-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Also the wheel may look undamaged, but if it has been into the curb sideways hard enough it will of bent the wheel from the centre. Making it scrap, nothing you can do to bent it back :cry: ( i have got a slight bit of knowledge in the wheel deparment haha!)

Ben,
How about hitting the same kerb at same speed again in the hope of hitting opposite side of wheel, then that'd level it out - although change the offset a tad.

If wheel was bent, itd shake the car about at speed, perhaps at more than 30-40mph though.

Get a long broom handle and rest it against the wheel and see where it points, then do same on the other side, it ought to be the same unless it has been damaged. My Focus ST170 had 4 wheel tracking so I presume yours will, so if it is out it is easily put right at a garage able to do 4 wheel alignment (not necessarily Kwik Fit though). A four wheel alignment may be worthwhile anyway.

mark christopher
22-01-2010, 09:01 AM

I nearly spun the corsa earlier, thought i could beat this lass to the roundabout in actual fact i couldnt, i came into the roundabout pretty much completely sideways at about 40.. then sideways the other way on the way out! Anybody watching would of thought i did it on purpose! :woot:
Ben unless you know somin i dont, focus steers from the front!!

IceMike

normal thing that bends is the hub/ supension arms, as the arms are only pressed steel, as Chris said it has adjustable rear wheel tracking, so your best bet is to get it 4 wheel aligned by a good garage that has a good 4 wheel alignment system, that way they can also check the wheel is not bent as its part of setting the machine to the car.

MatJohnson
22-01-2010, 09:03 AM

it was the back of the car you wanged wasn't it?

Just a visual check on it, check the alloy, the sills should be fine and get your head under the back end to see if the wishbones are straight.

Open the boot and have a bounce about on it to make sure the suspension travel isn't damaged and go to a car park, full lock one way, full lock the other way and see what happens (slowly).

More than likely it would have done your tracking in. Just take it to ATS or somit and ask them to check it, should be free, just don't tell them why :)

ben
22-01-2010, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=mark christopher;334418]Ben unless you know somin i dont, focus steers from the front!!QUOTE]

Note to self: Read posts properly :blush: What a pleb :woot:

rcracer
22-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Might be better to remove the shit driver :thumbsup:

mark christopher
22-01-2010, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=mark christopher;334418]Ben unless you know somin i dont, focus steers from the front!!QUOTE]

Note to self: Read posts properly :blush: What a pleb :woot:

well technically it did steer from the rear..... into the kerb :woot:

wacattack
22-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Ben, you worry me with the stories you have about driving on the road. Just be careful mate

cjm_2008
22-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Ben, you worry me with the stories you have about driving on the road. Just be careful mate

+1.

I never thought i'd ever see myself type this - but WTF?

the public highway isn't a playground. a car is a lethal weapon. it's pretty easy to kill or maim yourself, your passengers, and any poor sod who happened to be around at the time. and even if no one gets hurt, you'll end up with a sizeable bill, a potential dangerous driving charge, points, crazy insurance premiums and no job if your work depended on you being able to get around.

sorry to bring this thread down to earth.

if you really want to explore the limits of a vehicle, do a trackday - it's a controlled environment.

I ride 20k a year and see people driving like bellends - and it really gets my goat :yawn:

ashleyb4
22-01-2010, 09:11 PM
It gets on my tits as buys get in car driving like nutter thinking there on NFS and crash which drives up insurance for anyone else.

A

+1.

I never thought i'd ever see myself type this - but WTF?

the public highway isn't a playground. a car is a lethal weapon. it's pretty easy to kill or maim yourself, your passengers, and any poor sod who happened to be around at the time. and even if no one gets hurt, you'll end up with a sizeable bill, a potential dangerous driving charge, points, crazy insurance premiums and no job if your work depended on you being able to get around.

sorry to bring this thread down to earth.

if you really want to explore the limits of a vehicle, do a trackday - it's a controlled environment.

I ride 20k a year and see people driving like bellends - and it really gets my goat :yawn:

General Accident
22-01-2010, 10:17 PM
thought i could beat this lass to the roundabout in actual fact i couldnt

Wow Ben, I bet she was well impressed at your ace stunt display, did she give you her number :lol:. Seriously though, major brain fade going on there fella - just think what would have happened if you'd lost it, crashed into her and then had your parents facing off to her parents in A&E (especially if one or both of you had bought the farm), with only a copper acting as referee. It's not big and it's not clever, but sadly it's one of the things a lot of people don't "get" until they are older and - hopefully - a bit wiser.

Calm down, save the racing (and crashing) for the track.

Getting back on topic I wonder if the bang when the car hit the kerb was the exhaust backbox smacking the underfloor?

matdodd
22-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Mike they do 4 wheel alignment over the road from where you work if you think it needs it.

ben
22-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow Ben, I bet she was well impressed at your ace stunt display, did she give you her number :lol:. Seriously though, major brain fade going on there fella - just think what would have happened if you'd lost it, crashed into her and then had your parents facing off to her parents in A&E (especially if one or both of you had bought the farm), with only a copper acting as referee. It's not big and it's not clever, but sadly it's one of the things a lot of people don't "get" until they are older and - hopefully - a bit wiser.

Calm down, save the racing (and crashing) for the track.

Getting back on topic I wonder if the bang when the car hit the kerb was the exhaust backbox smacking the underfloor?

haha it was one of my mates in the car in front! She didnt see it, i was well gutted :cry:

IceMike
22-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Mike they do 4 wheel alignment over the road from where you work if you think it needs it.

Thanks mate, but i got it booked into a guy on tuesday, its gunan get a full service and checked out, and wheels balanced and aligned and breaks and everything. full overhaul just like my s44 needs lol

matdodd
22-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Ill do the S44 service for you if you want mate? and Ill charge u less than the Focas will cost you:p

ashleyb4
22-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Still not big and clever dude. Ive lost two good friends in car accidents .One of my old best mates (knew him since i was about 3) was killed early december in a car accident. He was a passenger in a car they where doing 70 in a 30 lost control and hit a tree. Driver survived (JUST) Its just stupidity.

A

haha it was one of my mates in the car in front! She didnt see it, i was well gutted :cry:

wacattack
22-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Ben, all I can say is naive and shit driving. You should never end up in that predicament when driving on the road

ben
22-01-2010, 11:04 PM
It gets on my tits as buys get in car driving like nutter thinking there on NFS and crash which drives up insurance for anyone else.

A

Some people drive like there on NFS and some people crash! Touch wood im yet to crash and have no points or warnings!

ashleyb4
22-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Yea but these things happen when you least expect them only takes a split second. Just because you dont have any points etc doesnt mean your not going to crash. Just take it easy dude and have fun driving.

A

Some people drive like there on NFS and some people crash! Touch wood im yet to crash and have no points or warnings!

IceMike
22-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Ill do the S44 service for you if you want mate? and Ill charge u less than the Focas will cost you:p

u shouldnt offer that lol , u know i will take u up on that lol

bert digler
22-01-2010, 11:13 PM

how the hell did you spin it did you clip the island before spinning and was you doing 80 ffs you gypsey;):thumbsup:

wacattack
22-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Ben, losing control is near as damn it as crashing. Think it's time you grew up mate, racing some "chick" to a round about, you are the man, really showing who's boss. If someone drove like you did, lost control of their car and hit into me, I'd beat them into the ground. If you want to drive fast do a track day, otherwise chill out. I suppose you are just showing your age, and by the sounds of it you don't even have the driving ability to drive at speed, you can't even judge the braking distance in a corsa!

matdodd
22-01-2010, 11:16 PM
ffs you gypsey;):thumbsup:

You legend:D

IceMike
22-01-2010, 11:17 PM
how the hell did you spin it did you clip the island before spinning and was you doing 80 ffs you gypsey;):thumbsup:

NO DAD!!!! it was rainin and i was only doin about 15 if that, was a 90deg turn wasnt like a big open round about

ashleyb4
22-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Come on you have seen the way mike drives a rc car.

A

bert digler
22-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Come on you have seen the way mike drives a rc car.

A

15mph my arse i was wraggin the van down the lanes on sheet ice doin fifty ,that day spin i think you was going a bit quicker :woot:

IceMike
22-01-2010, 11:26 PM
15mph my arse i was wraggin the van down the lanes on sheet ice doin fifty ,that day spin i think you was going a bit quicker :woot:

wasnt, for once i was tryin to drive like normal ppl drive. i know y it happened, it wont happen again

bert digler
22-01-2010, 11:32 PM
wasnt, for once i was tryin to drive like normal ppl drive. i know y it happened, it wont happen again

seriously mike i would get it checked also get the brakes checked;)

IceMike
22-01-2010, 11:33 PM
no worries mate its all gettin done, gunan cost me a fortune but atleast its all done before the mot is due

jono83
22-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Lift off oversteer lol

ben
23-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Ben, losing control is near as damn it as crashing. Think it's time you grew up mate, racing some "chick" to a round about, you are the man, really showing who's boss. If someone drove like you did, lost control of their car and hit into me, I'd beat them into the ground. If you want to drive fast do a track day, otherwise chill out. I suppose you are just showing your age, and by the sounds of it you don't even have the driving ability to drive at speed, you can't even judge the braking distance in a corsa!

Ill let you have a go in my car on the same roundabout sometime, see how slippy it is :) But yeah, ill grow up :blush:

wacattack
23-01-2010, 10:03 AM
If you already know it's slippy then why race to it in the first place??! I'm only having a go mate cos I don't want you to do anything stupid

ben
23-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I didnt know it was that slippy, first time ive been round that area.

DCM
23-01-2010, 10:17 AM
you said you went into the round-a-bout at 40mph dude, lol, Colin McCrae school of motoring?? lol

ben
23-01-2010, 10:24 AM
It was big haha! Ive learnt now :)

mark christopher
23-01-2010, 11:05 AM

A

Still not big and clever dude. Ive lost two good friends in car accidents .One of my old best mates (knew him since i was about 3) was killed early december in a car accident. He was a passenger in a car they where doing 70 in a 30 lost control and hit a tree. Driver survived (JUST) Its just stupidity.

A

Yea but these things happen when you least expect them only takes a split second. Just because you dont have any points etc doesnt mean your not going to crash. Just take it easy dude and have fun driving.

A

all this coming from the guy who posted on here that they had exceeded the speed limit on thier first driving lesson...... you tell em dude :thumbdown:

mark christopher
23-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Lift off oversteer lol
nail on head

its easy to get the tail out on a focus at low speed, if you want to, not forgetting thier could have been fuel spilage etc on the road, lifting off going into or mid corner is worst thing to do.

as for those having a go at ben, ive wrote cars off pranged more,repaired and paid for it, injured no one and have allways had a full clean licence, the only way you learn is to find your limits, granted do it when your alone and no one else is about, ill bet half of you can not honestly say you have never done the same as him at some point.

Ben
your dad does rallying? get him to teach you a few bits, and show you what to do in car control, or book yourself into a skid pan place, ace fun and you learn loads
my old man used to rally and taught me about control before i was even on the roads!

ashleyb4
23-01-2010, 11:35 AM
all this coming from the guy who posted on here that they had exceeded the speed limit on thier first driving lesson...... you tell em dude :thumbdown:

There is a bit of a diffrence i went 8 or 9 mph over the speed lmit on my first driving lesson on a straight bit of road going down a hill. But i also had a skill instructor at the side of me to help me. Im sure on your first driving lesson you jumped in the car and masted car control in 12 seconds.

A

wacattack
23-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Mark, you are totally missing the point when you say I bet half of you have done the same thing. That maybe the case, but we are more experienced drivers, and have learnt our lessons, some with bad consequences. Given our experience we just don't want to see a naive young driver make some silly mistake whilst driving stupidly on the road.

If you want to test the limits, go on a proper driving day aimed at finding your limits. Do not do it on a private road

mark christopher
23-01-2010, 12:03 PM
There is a bit of a diffrence i went 8 or 9 mph over the speed lmit on my first driving lesson on a straight bit of road going down a hill. But i also had a skill instructor at the side of me to help me. Im sure on your first driving lesson you jumped in the car and masted car control in 12 seconds.

A
ash no difference what so ever, to be exceeding the limit on your first lesson IS as bad, the instructor at most has a clutch and brake pedal, no steering wheel to correct any oss of control

actually yes my dad taught me car control on a private road, had one official lesson and passed my test 3 days after my 17th birthday

bodgit
23-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Mark, you are totally missing the point when you say I bet half of you have done the same thing. That maybe the case, but we are more experienced drivers, and have learnt our lessons, some with bad consequences. Given our experience we just don't want to see a naive young driver make some silly mistake whilst driving stupidly on the road.

This is the point they are young inexperienced drivers making mistakes to learn by.
I passed my test at 17 and withing 18 months had written off 2 cars and been up the back of another and trashed 2 gearboxes. Now at 49 I have learnt from all my mistakes and now can anticipate road dangers better. This did not stop me last wednesday nearly writing off my lads mr2 turbo.
I have just spent over 6k on engine brakes suspension to restore it to almost a new car. I was just running the engine in driving anywhere on A roads to make use of the gears when I got lost. Turned on the sat nav it sent me up the mountain where the snow was still laying. The ploughs had made 4-6 foot high banks of snow each side of the road, the surface was slippery with slush when only going 20-25mph I lost all traction with the road on a sharp bend. I jut slid sideways into a huge mound of snow. I was lucky the snow was very soft not frozen,the car went up and through it with not a scratch And I consider myself a safe driver in the car.

mark christopher
23-01-2010, 12:08 PM

If you want to test the limits, go on a proper driving day aimed at finding your limits. Do not do it on a private road

no im not i know what your saying, and i have made a sugestion as to what he should do, just think everyone is overly jumping on him

i would have said do practice on a private road with his dad sat next to him showing him the limits and what to do when it gets out of shape, definatly not to be done on a public road

ashleyb4
23-01-2010, 12:18 PM
ash no difference what so ever, to be exceeding the limit on your first lesson IS as bad, the instructor at most has a clutch and brake pedal, no steering wheel to correct and loss of control

actually yes my dad taught me car control on a private road, had one official lesson and passed my test 3 days after my 17th birthday

Ok so your saying that when you where learning with your dad you never went a bit quicker than you where meant to go or stalled???? O wait i was learning. I had only been driving a car about half an hour never driven down a hill before didnt know how much i needed to slow down. I dont admit to being the best driver in the world but i dont drive into roundabouts at 40 MPH. It wasnt the only mistake i made, i clipped at kerb on a narrow road doing 50. I was lucky not to roll the car, The first time i went on a dual caridgways i was doing 70 came up behind three wagons going down a big hill. I pulled out doing 70 by the time ide got past i pulled back in looked at my speedo i was doing 85. I came to a roundabout i was going straight on but for some reason went in the right lane instead of left. So I simply went round once then turned off.

I was learning once you have passed your test you keep on learning. You just need to not do stupid things.

A

mark christopher
23-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Ok so your saying that when you where learning with your dad you never went a bit quicker than you where meant to go or stalled???? O wait i was learning. I had only been driving a car about half an hour never driven down a hill before didnt know how much i needed to slow down. I dont admit to being the best driver in the world but i dont drive into roundabouts at 40 MPH. It wasnt the only mistake i made, i clipped at kerb on a narrow road doing 50. I was lucky not to roll the car, The first time i went on a dual caridgways i was doing 70 came up behind three wagons going down a big hill. I pulled out doing 70 by the time ide got past i pulled back in looked at my speedo i was doing 85. I came to a roundabout i was going straight on but for some reason went in the right lane instead of left. So I simply went round once then turned off.

I was learning once you have passed your test you keep on learning. You just need to not do stupid things.

A

ash i am saying i went faster, i was on a privately owned road, with the owners permission, so not breaking the law, niether is stalling a car breaking the law, but your telling ben and everyone it pisses you off when young learners drive stupid, you drove in excess of the speed limit on a public highway! so how can you preach, when your doing the same?

why would you need to accelerate up to 85 to pass a wagon that can ony do 56 mph? unless your driving irrisponsibly!!!

ben
23-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Calm down in here! Cant believe what ive started! :bored:

bodgit
23-01-2010, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=ashleyb4;334909] I was learning once you have passed your test you keep on learning. You just need to not do stupid things.

This is true but also once you've passed your test your on your own with nobody to reel you in when you right foot gets heavy.
Please just dont play that drum and base crap.

ben
23-01-2010, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=ashleyb4;334909]

Thats me out of this then :woot:

mark christopher
23-01-2010, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=bodgit;334930]

Thats me out of this then :woot:
do you waer ur baseball cap backwards and sit in the laied back posistion barley able to reach the steering wheel?

ben
23-01-2010, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=ben;334932]
do you waer ur baseball cap backwards and sit in the laied back posistion barley able to reach the steering wheel?

haha, sometimes.. depends what my aim of the journey is! Usually a cruise so yes i do wear my baseball cap backwards and cruise with the seat back :wub

Just bought a sub for the little machine. :thumbsup:

DCM
23-01-2010, 05:29 PM
chavtastic :woot:

IceMike
23-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I think this is gettin slightly off topic now lol, i was only askin wot things to look out for lol

coolcars782
23-01-2010, 08:34 PM
i was only askin wot things to look out for lol

Look out for ben if you see him driving :woot:

IceMike
23-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Look out for ben if you see him driving :woot:

i think ive only ever seen him wasted and throwin up in ppls tents anyways lol

Jonesy
23-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Ben - You're an idiot!

Mike - Get the car checked out

Ash - You make me laugh

Dodd - Can Service S44's

That's what I've got out of this thread so far...... :thumbsup:

MatJohnson
23-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Ace, couldn't be bothered to read the rest of it :) Cheers Jonesy :)

Jonesy
23-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Ace, couldn't be bothered to read the rest of it :) Cheers Jonesy :)

Glad to be of service!

cjm_2008
23-01-2010, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=ashleyb4;334909]

or that happy hardcore techno bile - you know the stuff - 190bpm, with an 'mc' 'mcing' all over it, with piped crowd noise - knowing full well that he's alone in his bedroom pretending to be a superstar DJ in a mouldy milk stained kappa tracksuit. "put your hands up".

preferably played with your seat adjusted so you can barely see over the dash, and with a volume level so loud you wouldn't even notice a low flying jet, let alone the sirens of an emergency services vehicle or the horn of another road user.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKMoaoUnnA

markwilliamson2001
24-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Just a suggestion,
the safest way to learn to drive is to get some banger, and get a responsible adult driver to take it to a grassy flat, DRY field. Then see if the farmer will let you drive around in it, do hill starts, learn clutch control, and change gear. Get some cones, and do some reverse parking!

All the farmers sons, even at 15 could drive their dads car, on the farm, because they had practiced it without any danger of hitting anyone else!

DOOO IT!

IceMike
28-01-2010, 11:03 PM
If anyone is interested. i got my car bac 2nite, the list of things changed and damaged were, alloy, tire, hear stub axle, and rear bearings, for that and a service its cost me a mear 540quid :(

DCM
28-01-2010, 11:04 PM
considering what you had changed.... £540 is a steal!!

IceMike
28-01-2010, 11:06 PM
yer i had my brakes done 2 on the front. The guy didnt really put much in for himself, think he knew i was abit skint. But ill pay him abit extra and get him a crate of sumat 2 say thanks. least i can do really

matdodd
28-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Who did you take it to mate?

IceMike
28-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Who did you take it to mate?

Someone my mum works withs husband, that has just left ford and started up on his own.

MatJohnson
29-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Ace, he can do mine when it needs it :)

RLGfx
30-01-2010, 11:20 AM
O ye you could ask Stan hes a expert at hitting kirbs ;)

Polo Power! :D

Did the window fall down after he hit the kerb? SOOooooo ashamed I missed that... :(